Dogomania

some opinions needed on obedience training.

pyrless

please help? does any one in this country teach a "fun" obedience class? Sasha is 8 months now and getting to her adolescent, iron-willed stage, and she knows the basics of obedience (which i taught her) but I would like to just strengthen our bond to get through this rough time by working on her focus. She is going to be about 90 pounds so I want to learn to handle her better, too. First off everyone I have talked to so far blows off the fact that I started training her myself, then they go on about how much the dogs "heel" in the class and all this off-leash work they do, etc. You can't let a Pyr offleash anywhere except your own back yard, they have a hardwired wanderlust and a tendency to want to patrol BIG territories. SO then I ask if anyone teaching the class has experience with the big working breeds and they blow that off too. I am really frustrated so I guess maybe I am just venting but if anyone could share their experinces I would be grateful.

Where do you live? I trained my dog myself, he's never been to obediance classes in his life and he's very well behaved on everything but heeling. That is my fault though, I'm not consistent enough with it. :oops: He's not very big though, he's just a terrier. People think he's much older than his one year because he's so calm and behaved.
You could try to visit some of the obediance classes around your area and find one you are comfortable with if you plan on putting him in a class.
You could also get a good dog training book, Good Owners Great Dogs is very helpful. It is by Brian Kilcommons.
Good luck training you dog! :D
(Just wondering, is this your first dog?)

[quote]First off everyone I have talked to so far blows off the fact that I started training her myself[/quote]

who have you been talking to? Professional trainers or people from other boards?

here is a site for trainers in Ohio - I dont know exactly where you are so I dont know if these are close or not...you could also check the yellow pages if these font work out. You might have to call and ask them specifics questions. Good luck

[url]http://www.planet-pets.com/trainoh.htm[/url]

actually, no, sasha is my fourth! casey our collie died. taz is 2 years old, Elkhound mix, I trained him myself and if I do say so he is beautifully behaved! then we have Muffin who is a rescue Pom, 9 years so she kind of came pre-trained, and now Sasha. And yes, these are professional trainers blowing me off... :agrue:
Thank you for that link, I will try it.
I am just so frustrated! She really does behave quite well except for selective deafness (ie "not now, mom"), pulling on lead and refusing to get her ears cleaned :wink: , but everyone says take her to class, take her to class, because she is big and dominant over my other 2.

[quote]If you're not the lead dog the view never changes[/quote]

your signature pretty much says it all.... :D

I can give you some "tips" on dominance training, but if you can find a professional trainer that would be much better...A 90 lb. dominant dog is a
major headache if not trained....

Heeling is a time thing...it takes lots of repetition, however, the dog has to see you as Alpha...once done, they are somewhat less likely to try to lead...their instincts tell them to follow....

so basic dominance training, until you can find a pro...

Always enter doorways first. Never let the dog "lead" you.

Instill Cassies "Nothing in life is free"...make the dog obey a basic command for everything it gets, even if it's only a "sit"...that includes meals and walks.

until dominance has been assured, never let the dog sleep on the furniture or the bed. Those are "Alpha" spots.

If you have a two-story house, until dominance is assured, dont let the dog sleep at the top of the stairs when you are downstairs. That's also an "Alpha" spot.

Eat first, even if it's only a few crackers, and let him see you doing it. No begging, no table scraps.

With the above in place, heeling will become easier...although heeling is still time consuming. Still, contact trainers and explain your situation.
With patience and perseverance, you may find one who will relate to someone who can basically train their own dog, just needs some additional help.

Best of luck to you!

:D