Dogomania

Stop feeding your dog chocolate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

imported_Leanne

[img]http://www.rspca.org.uk/servlet/BlobServer?blobtable=RSPCAPicture&blobcol=urlimage&blobkey=id&blobwhere=996827947502[/img]

Please don't 'treat' your dog with chocolates this Valentine's Day - it could kill them!

Chocolate contains a chemical called theobromine, which is harmless to humans but toxic to dogs and causes vomiting, diarrhoea, convulsions and even death. Cocoa powder is the most toxic chocolate product to dogs, followed by dark and then milk chocolate.

Also, we should point out that cocoa shell mulch - used around the base of indoor potted plants to provide nutrients and keep weeds at bay - is even more toxic than chocolate so it should not be used in homes or gardens where dogs could eat it.

Dog bites
RSPCA head of veterinary services Steve Cheetham said: "Special chocolate drops are available from pet shops if you want to give your dog a chocolate treat, but the best thing to do is to keep them on their normal, balanced diet.

"If you really want to treat your dogs this Valentine's Day take them for a game in the garden or a run around the park."

If you want to celebrate Valentine's Day with a gift, why not consider arranging to have your pet microchipped or take out lifetime pet insurance? With these schemes the gift will benefit you too should your pet go missing or become ill.

Snack attack
About 30 per cent of pets in the UK are overweight; many as a result of owners showing their affection by giving treats and snacks. Obesity can cause numerous health problems for pets - including skin disease, heat intolerance, diabetes, arthritis, back and heart problems.

Follow these tips to help keep your pet at the right weight and in good health:

exercise your pet regularly

cut out all treats and snacks

in a household with more than one pet, feed your pets one at a time to stop them eating leftovers and getting more food than they need

feed your pets before you eat and keep them in another room during meals so that they aren't able to beg for food

don't let dogs scavenge when outside as they may pick up things that could harm them, and upset their balanced diet.

Still want to get your pet that special something for Valentine's Day? Visit our shop at [url]www.rspcashop.co.uk[/url] for loads of great ideas and alternatives to chocolate.

Thanks for the info.

When i was a kid we had this mix dog (cannibal) he used to looove chocolate, and i admit that i gave him lots of chocolates everyday :oops: ..... i don't know if that perjudiced his health, he always looked so fine. At the end cannibal died in a car accident :(. But from today, no chocolate for the dogs :wink:

Thanks for the heads-up. This info could be quite useful for anyone out there who did not know of the toxicity of chocolate.
On a side note, I have a funny story about chocolate. My mom is French and my father American. When my parents first got engaged, they went to France so my pops could meet his future in-laws. He brought my grandmother (his mother in-law) a big box of Godiva truffles and chocolates. My grandmother said "Oh, thank you so much!" She then proceded to give her dog some of them in front of my dad, LOL. It became a joke in our family how my grammies dogs always get the best!

Even if chocolate was not bad for my pooches, that is ONE thing I will NOT share dangit! The chocolate is ALL MINE! 8)
My dogs almost ALWAYS eat before I do and I do not have any dominance issues. It is just the way it is, the timing of their mealtime falls before mine. They also know not to beg. Last night I was sitting on the couch watching Westminster, had myself a little snack. Candy was lying right beside me, after a single sniff, she tucked her head back down and ignored me and my snack.
I guess if you have a problematic dog, this is one step to take to correct the issue. I just don't have those issues with my dogs.
The #1 rock hard rule around here is, whosoever pays the mortgage, makes the rules. Why, that would be me! :P

Guest Anonymous

Everyone has a different opinion of what can show dominance and what doesnt.

My older sister has an Old English Sheepdog who will eat anything. Well, she called me one day crying holy torture saying Bailey had eaten an entire bag of Hershey Kisses, foil and all. He jumped up and got them off the top of the fridge. I told her to just give him some peroxide to throw it up and she did. He ended up being okay but had a hard couple of days.
Also know someone who feeds M&Ms to her litte lapdog, constantly, all day every day, and he has never had a problem. Although, it is something none of my dogs get the privilege of eating.

The worst case scenario I ever seen of chocolate poisoning was a 16 week old German shorthair pointer pup called Ludwig and the 3 year old kid had given him cadburys buttons. That was a very sick little pupppy in our surgery with a raging temperature of 106.5 and extreme vomitting. He pulled through but its one case that stands out and no dog should get chocolate .

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Aonir'][quote name='Leanne']feed your pets before you eat and keep them in another room during meals so that they aren't able to beg for food.[/quote]

That is incorrect. You should feed your dogs 'after' you eat, to show your dominant over the dog.[/quote]

it's not "incorrect" per se. unless your dog has behavioral issues, it doesn't really matter if you feed him first or you eat first. it can be a viable training tool if necessary, but if there is no problem to address you can do whatever is more convenient.

personally i usually feed my dog after i am done eating, rewarding his politely laying in the diningroom doorway and not begging. this has nothing to do with "dominance" tho, which is in my opinion an overused and often misused term anyway.

[img]feed your pets before you eat and keep them in another room during meals so that they aren't able to beg for food
[/img]

this is an issue with a dominant dog that needs demoting. Aonir was right on that count, but with a dog that has accepted his position and lets you be boss it really doesnt matter. Lots of people let their dogs sleep on their bed too (my Foxhound does, but I would never let the Lab, she wants to be King and needs demoting all the time) but in a dominance situation that is not allowed either. It depends on the dog. Like people, each dog is an individual. Not every dog needs to be demoted, some of them accept being non-alpha with no trouble. Some dont.

I have had both, and with the "alpha wannabe's" they NEVER ate first. They were required to lay down and watch me eat, without begging...

The other day we had company and they had brought of a Caramilk Egg - and left it on the floor! Zaphod (aka EatDog) ate it - fortunately it was not enough chocolate to give a dog of his size problems but he was quite hyper for a while - probably strictly from the suger. I don't know how many times I have had to ask people not to leave food unattended below waist height. I know Zaphod should be completely trustworthy but we have a real problem with it. He is improving slowly but when he succeeds in stealing tasty food it is a self rewarding behaviour - untraining. I swear I'm going to post house rules.

I too think the "dominance" issue is very over rated :lol:
I have owned many many many dogs over the past 40 years...and I have always had more than 4 dogs at a time...I have owned many dominant dogs. I have always been able to have a happy house hold with no issues with any of my dogs...even having more than one intact male in my home...no issues and I feed my dogs before I eat. With my dominant Rottweiler (which even my friend who is an animal behaviorist was very doubtful I would be able to make into a good pet) all I did with her was just use the nothing is free in life policy...this does not mean that you have to eat before your dog :lol: just that you make your dog do some thing before getting it...basically telling the dog that this is my food...and I am soooo nice...I am willing to share this with you! I currently have 3 male dogs and 3 females...there are no problems between the dogs or other people...they live together very peacefully. My dogs all sleep with me, including my Rottweiler...I just make sure that all of my dogs KNOW basic obedience and will jump off the bed when I ask them to....I once had a Husky that once in its life growled at me when I asked it to get off my bed...I did not back down and made him get off....then we practiced obedience for about 15 minutes where I made him get up and down off my bed...after that he was fine and he continued sleeping with me and my border collie, German Shepherd and Doberman.
I feed all of my dogs before I eat...I make all of my dogs sit before they get their meal...and all 6 of them eat side by side with no issues. It's mainly controlling the dogs resources in the house hold which is important for dominant dogs and it also helps fearful dogs gain confidence. :wink:

Although chocolate is not good for our dogs...its ok for us humans...thank dog!!!! :lol: here is some reassuring news from Dr. Andrew Weil who is the leading holistic doctor in North America.

[quote]I do recommend a piece of good quality dark chocolate as a healthy snack as long as you don

FYI Cassie....

demoting is used in a situatin where the dog was not properly controlled, from the beginning, like yours have been. Once out of control, The "I eat first" and "NO sleeping on MY bed" is used to get them back into control...

It is not necessary with all dogs, and with yours, obviously, they wre cracked down on from day one....the proper way to train them. You have already established the pack rules, from the beginning. Some people are not that headstrong...and they let the dogs get the upper hand. Thats where demotion comes in. The "I eat first" and "no sleeping on my bed" are not necessary when someone with a strong hand has control from the beginning. You're a good Alpha...If everyone was, there would be a whole lot less problems with their dogs.

your dogs know they need to earn what they get...excellent training technique...unfortunately, some people just dont get it...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Rowie never gets chocolate, ever. I just can't take the risk! I give Rowie the doggie chocolate drops, and even with that I give her very little each week. I tend to favour the yoghurt variety more, though! :)

I remeber about a year ago, Sonita (the person who helps around the house) gave Rowie chocolate milk. :o She came up to me saying "Maurie, Rowie loved the chocolate milk I gave her, we should give her some more." I could have sworn my heart stopped for a full minute...!

[quote]It is not necessary with all dogs, and with yours, obviously, they wre cracked down on from day one....the proper way to train them. You have already established the pack rules, from the beginning. Some people are not that headstrong...and they let the dogs get the upper hand. Thats where demotion comes in. The "I eat first" and "no sleeping on my bed" are not necessary when someone with a strong hand has control from the beginning. You're a good Alpha...If everyone was, there would be a whole lot less problems with their dogs[/quote].

I guess in my situation where I have taken in other peoples problem dogs...the nothing is free in life policy workeds great for me. Even for the dogs I have taken in which were fearful etc. but, if other tactics have worked for you Court then that is great.
At the grooming shop/boarding facility we have alot of poeple who have let their dogs get out of control by spoiling them...one lady even had her face biten trying to take her little Lhasa off the couch. We told her how to apply the nothing is free policy and it has worked for her and many other clients and their dogs. Dogs respond best to an owner who is firm and consistent but benevolent(kind) , dogs also respond best to positive training...the dog learns to communicate with you instead of being frightened of the owner.
Current and more indepth behavior studies have shown that in wild and domesticated dogs, its not true that the pack leader always eats first, goes through doorways first, or routinely rolls othe rpack members onto their backs to keep them in line...she may be able to do all those things if she wants, but it really is in the pack's best interest and hers to be in a state of equal balance that doesnt show a constant show of force. When there is plenty of food to go around there is no need for the pack leader to assert herself at the at feeding time. If she is eager to go through a door, she may choose to go first, in which case lower ranking pack member defer to her.
So in my opinion and the people I have helped with their out of control dogs which have taken over the house hold...I have found that just by controlling the resources and making the dog do some thing simple like sitting before he gets to do any thing fun or sits before he eats his supper...reward good behavior...and your right courtnek...the benevolent leader concept comes naturally for some people. These are the folks who always wseem to end up with well mannered dogs without appearing to think much about it - it just happens. Some people are born with good "animal instincts" or they had good human models to imitate from at an early age...I think I had good role models :wink: my mom grew up in the country and her dad was a big animal lover as well...he was the drop off depo for unwanted animals and wild animals which were orphans....at one point they had 2 black bears, 3 raccoons, a skunk, ground hog, 3 red fox , 2 crows and a moose and a white tailed deer....my grand father was very good with the animals and was kind and patient...those wild animals would do any thing for my grandfather! the black bears even got loose one day and followed my grandfathers scent to where he was working in the woods...all the other lumber jacks were trying to climb up trees etc. trying to get away from these 2 adult black bears at a fast trot up to them....my grandfather walked over and greeted the bears (they were just about as excited as bears can get!) and he walked them home again, he also let some of the animals loose back into the wild when they matured and he taught they would be able to make the adjustment...they always came back to visit...and the crows...they were amazing...I was very yound but I remember him standing out side and whistle at a flock of crows go over (actually I think its called a murder of crows! :lol: ) 2 of the crows would swoop down and land on his shoulder. He also took in a neighbor's cross Chow Chow...and made that into a wonderful pet as well. As well as having all these animals he had a farm as well...chickens, pigs, cows, horses, and a mule. So perhaps my dog sense has been passed down. :wink:

BK doesn't get chocolate, why should he wait when he can steal it? :lol: That relates to a story from his puppyhood. My sister had her Easter stash hidden in her room one day. We stupidly left BK inside for about an hour while we went to visit my grandpa. We came back and he had found her stash of chocolates and had eaten all the really good ones and left the crappy ones. :roll: :lol: Luckily he had no ill effects from it.