Dogomania

Which spaniel should we choose?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi everyone,
Me and my girlfriend have just bought a house close to a big forest where we love to walk 2-3 times a week. We also run a lot (2-3 times 45 min a week). We have decided to get a dog soon, propably a spaniel.
But which one should we choose?
We are choosing between English springer, Welsh or cocker spaniel.
It is important that it will be good with children and of course we are planning to take it with us running 3 times a week (sometimes more, sometimes less).
Any good advices? All info about the diffences between the races will be gladly welcome.
Thanx...

When I was little we fostered a purebred Brittany Spaniel for a little while. She was excellent with my sister and I. We named her Brittany! Isn't that original? :lol: We didn't foster her for long because she was such an excellent dog. It didn't take long for someone to snatch her up! I know that's not on your list, but you might want to consider a Brittany.

Here's a picture for you:

[img]http://www.brittany-spaniel-dogs.com/brittany-spaniels-l2.jpg[/img]

Here is a quote from [url]http://www.brittany-spaniel-dogs.com[/url]

"Brittany Spaniels are a medium sized dog with a fairly short and light coat. They appear to very intelligent looking in the face and tend to be active and agile. They are very loving and gentle dogs. They are always waiting to do something nice for their owner and remain happy and alert at most times. Being such an intelligent and obedient dog, they are sometimes used hunting woodcock, partridge, and hare. They also have an outstanding instinct for retrieving from water. The brittany spaniel is very adaptable to all types of terrain such as woods, plains or hills and seem to be rather resistant to cold and dampness. Because of its happy character, it is also popular as a companion dog and a family dog. If raised around children they will enjoy their company to the utmost."

Just a suggestion, I'm sure you will be happy with whatever you choose! Good job doing your research!

Even though not on your "list" I too would go with a Brittany. IMO, they tend to have better dispositions (as a whole) than either Springers OR Cockers. If you do decide to go with a Springer, do a LOT of research, as they are known to suffer from "Rage Syndrome".

Cockers also have their own "issues". And if you are VERY athletic, a Cocker might have a harder time keeping up since they are so much smaller.

LIke I said, you might want to check out the Brittany if you haven't already. IMO, you would probably have a tough time finding a Welsh since they are not a popular breed.

Guest Anonymous

Rage syndrome doesnt sound very nice. Is that both the welsh and the english spaniel???
I have tried to find out more about the Brittany Spaniels but there doesnt seem to be any here in Denmark and I am not planning to go to England to get one...
Seems as if our choice now stands between the welsh and the english springer. As one of you said, the cocker might have a few problems keeping up with us on our runs...

Guest Anonymous

Well since you are in Denmark that is different. Isn't there a Danish Kennel Club? Maybe you could contact them about breeders?

And Rage isn't very nice. The dogs basically "loose it" and attack their owners. :o

Though since you aren't in the USA that may not be a problem with the Springers where you are. I've never heard of Rage in the Welsh. But as I said, they are NOT a popular breed in the United States and there for haven't been "ruined" like the Show Springers have here.

Hi,
I live in Norway myself, and have two english cocker spaniels. I take them with me for my runs in the forest (5-12K two or three times a week) and they have no problems keeping up with me, even for the longer runs. As long as you start when they're fully grown and slowly increase pace/distance it should be OK.

In Norway (and probably Denmark, too) the Brittany is called Breton, so maybe you can find more info on them with a search for that name. I've always thought that Bretons are beautiful, happy dogs, but in Norway most breeders are reluctant to sell them to people who's not into hunting, I guess they're trying to avoid the breed to become "just another family dog"....

Good luck in your search!

Mille

Guest Anonymous

Thank you all again.
So I coludnt find the Brittany because its called Breton here?!? Ok, will do some more research on that one. Seems as if it is mostly used for hunting though, that is not what were gonna use it for.
The hamster on the picture looks nice but I guess it wont be able to run in the forest with us :lol:

I think the welsh spaniel is still no 1 on our list.

Thanks again for all the replies, it has ben a great help for us. Were not gonna get the dog untill the summer so now we have time to do some more research on the different races...
:D

Will still look on the forum here now and again so more info is still very welcome.