Dogomania

"Shelter Dogs" HBO documentary

KP

There is a documentary on HBO "Shelter Dogs" [b]please be sure to watch it[/b]. It won't be airing for long. I believe its only airing for a month.

It has to do with euthanasia and the development of temperament testing. Fair warning it is very sad to watch. It is HIGHLY controversial. There are a lot of people fighting against the methods used in this documentary by this "trainer"/shelter owner who invented temperment testing.

If you would like more information feel free to PM me. I can offer a little more information and another message board with legal backing to help fight against this woman...Susan Sternberg. She calls HERSELF the "Hitler of dogs" This group was made of people who directly worked with this woman. Please watch the documentary, I will be more than happy to elaborate....

Guest Anonymous

a rescue in my area also has a page up on that person and her methods of what she claims is proper "temperament testing" - and the implications this has on dogs in shelters. it's quite horrible, basically any dog who doesn't respond perfectly (and how many are that going to be under highly stressful circumstances in a shelter?) is considerd "unadoptable".

"unadoptables" may go unreported in euthanasia/adoption statistics of a shelter, and thus falsifying those statistics by showing higher adoptability rates and lower euthanasia rates of adoptable animals.

that is [b]not[/b] the right way to "solve" the pet overpopulation problem! :(

[url]http://amrt.net/tt.htm[/url]

I saw this yesterday and was very upset by the part with the cocker. The dog was fine when she did the food-aggression test with the kibble, so she gave the dog a HIGHLY desirable treat (a pig ear), ignored its warning growls, kept jabbing the hand in its face, and then goes, "Oh my gosh! That's the worst reaction I've ever seen!"

Amazing that both that dog and the wheaten were "the worst she's ever seen." How lucky that the cameras happened to be there both times. :roll:

Guest Mutts4Me

WTF??

I was upset that I didn't get to see this because I don't get HBO. I really wanted to see it because this is the review that is in TV Guide:

[quote]
Hits and Misses

Shelter Dogs

What can you say about a documentary in which a dog is euthanized in the first five minutes? Tough but engrossing, Shelter Dogs follows an upstate New York kennel owner who tries to find homes for dogs facing euthanasia, and buys last meals at McDonald's for those she fails to place. Shelter Dogs doesn't cheat with cuteness (there are many more tattered canines than cuddly puppies here). Instead, it celebrates kindness and tough love. MY SCORE 9/10
[/quote]

So again, WTF?? This makes her sound like some kind of hero, but she's actually a self prclaimed doggy Hitler? That's insane.

I personally thought it was even more strange that the very dog aggressive, "wierding out" around the baby greyhoundish looking mix was put up for adoption while the Cocker-with ear infections in case you didn't notice- who tolerated a stranger clipping his matted up coat with dull clippers and showed some food aggression when repeatedly harassed and assaulted by a hand on a stick was PTS. It seemed more like she'd marked the cocker for death when he came in (proclaiming how "dominant aggressive" he was as he stood wiggling his stub and allowed her to groom him) and didn't want to be wrong.

Here is what all this is about although the documentary brings a lot more light to this whole matter. Its more surreal and easier to understand whats really happening than this website...but it will give you an idea.
[url]http://hometown.aol.com/chicaanaranjada/[/url]

And here is the group dedicated against this woman. They are gathering lots of information and legal backing for all this
[url]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/StopThe_SS_KillingMachine/[/url]

I definately agree with the spaniel....She TRAINED this dog to be food aggressive on camera non the less. The spaniel was fine for like 5 minutes before she started antagonizing him. She taught him to be that way.

She even wanted to put down Agnes before she knew she was even sick. They thought she was healthy, and had a great temperament but just didn't want to look at her every day.

This lady has issues. She wanted to put down every single dog they brought in reguardless of what was or was not wrong with them.

I'm so ticked off!!! PLEASE watch the movie!

OK I have heard and read about this woman...I dont get HBO so I couldnt see the news story, but after seeing that website, and reading all of the things about her, I no longer want to Euthanize her...I want to put a bullet in each of her knees.. so she can no longer run a "shelter"....she has brought out the long dormant anger and viciousness in me...

:evilbat:

I don't understand how a plastic or rubber hand is supposed to pass off for a real hand. Think about how similar their toys smell. Especially when you are antagonizing a dog in the way she is. I think temperment testing is a wise idea BUT I feel that there should be some work put into these dogs before they are euthanized. For a self proclaimed "trainer" she sure does a good job training these dogs to be aggressive.

The look in this womans eye when she discussing a decision on a dog and euthanization is so scary. Its like watching a dog being teased by having meat thrown around it. She definately gets something out of it...

[quote]I don't understand how a plastic or rubber hand is supposed to pass off for a real hand.[/quote]

It's not intended to be. The purpose of the plastic hand is for the testers to see if they can remove food while the dog is eating, without getting bitten.
A food aggressive dog would bite at a real hand as well, and they dont want to risk that. It's purpose is NOT to antagonize the poor dog into aggressiveness by continual poking, prodding and annoying while they're trying to eat. My dogs will let me remove their food, with my hands, but I think if I acted like this bitch and kept aggravating them, Freebee at least would snap. She probably wouldnt bite, but she would show teeth and do the bark/snap thing when she is warning a person or the other dog off.

I trained her to NOT BITE..she was a puppy nipper and it took a lot of work. Most dogs can bite 5 times faster than you can move your hand.
You can see that speed in Freebee when she's ticked. She will growl, and snap/bite, and her teeth are gnashing a mile a minute. While she never connects (at least not with me) it's a definite warning (she growl/snaps at Laurel all the time, altho has never bitten her). This stupid cow antagonizes the poor dogs into snapping, and then says "put 'em down!!"

Freebee does not snap/bite at me, no matter what I do, but I have seen her do it to Laurel, and Alex, my old dog, and I know that if she wanted to, she could remove several fingers from my hand. With trainig, she now sees me as dominant Alpha, and that's all most of those dogs needed.

One of dogs was EXTREMELY food aggressive...and all around aggressive to people and dogs as a puppy at 8 weeks old I had her as a rescue since she was 4wks. My dog would have NEVER made it to 3 months old had she been in Sternbergs hands. She doesn't rehablitate dogs. She temperament tests them and puts them down. I worked with her and have no problems at all anymore.

Another point I would like to make is that in the documentary, she concluded that the 3 yr old spaniel needed to be put down [b]for the "food aggression"[/b] that she provoked him into. I find it rather peculiar that this woman the DAY OF his euthanasia she took this same dog to Mc Donalds, ordered him chicken nuggets, turned around, told him to sit. Immediately he sat, wagging his tail and gently took the nugget from her fingers....

The people had him temperament tested because he was aggressing dogs. They said he loved their children...nothing was said from the family about food aggression.

:x I agree with everyone else...... I think she goaded that dog into biting at the "hand". It's my understanding that your supposed to try and pull the dish away when they're eating and pet them with it.....not poke and prod them till they finally do snap !!
This woman is still in business because nobody cares about these "throw-away dogs" and that is why she has the power she has. :evil:

[quote]It's my understanding that your supposed to try and pull the dish away when they're eating and pet them with it.....not poke and prod them till they finally do snap !!
[/quote]

that's exactly what they are supposed to do, not prod the dog into aggressiveness...I;m surprised the Humane Society hasnt gotten on her ass yet.....she must know somebody important.