Dogomania

Mini yorkies

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

[color=blue][/color][size=6][/size]

Our mini yorkies good with childeren??? We are thinking about getting one and wanted to know how they would be, with a seven year old and a baby :)

That would depend on how you would bring the dog up. Yorkies that I have known tend to be very demanding, nippy and possessive with a typical terrier spirit. Certainly supervision would be required as with any other dog, but I wouldn't call a Yorkie a childs dog. They tend to enjoy older peoples company and easily dominate kids.

Definitely not good with children! They are too fragile and will break bones very easily. Recently a Yorkie I knew died when the owner fell and landed on the little dog by her feet. Children have a hard time being delicate and they just can't grasp the repercussions.

BTW what is a Mini Yorkie? All Yorkies are mini if you ask me LOL Do you mean a Teacup Yorkie?

All yorkies are mini. Do you mean teacup? There is no such thing as teacup. If they fall below the standard weight they are more fragile, and tend to have more health problems. A yorkie within the standard is still too small and fragile for small children. I have a maltese and a seven month old yorkie, when the grandkids come to visit I have to crate them. I have heard to many horror stories of them being dropped and dying. I will say that yorkies being yappy and nippy may not always be true. My malt is but my yorkie is calm but playful (not hyper) and isn't a barker. I would look for another breed. Something like a nice lab or a golden.

I agree! They are wonderful for an older more mature person whom wants a lap dog. There are some young adults whom desire the same but it's just not a good mix with small children. I have 6 grandkids all under the age of 6. When they are around I have to constantly keep an eye on both Bentley (my 2 year old malt) and Mia(my 7 month old yorkie). Mia can't be left on the floor, I have to hold her the entire time to keep her out of harms way. She is very rarely out when they are over, it's too scary and I end up crating her in my room to save her life! Their bones are far to fragile, drop them, trip over them or fall on them and you may kill them. They do have a reputation for being snappy, yappy and hard to housebreak as do most toy breeds. My maltese was a breeze to housebreak but is yappy and snappy. Mia is still young and is more of a challenge in the housebreaking but she isn't a barker and so far not a snapper. I think the tiny ones seem to fill the roll as baby for the empty nester and thats why they appeal to older ladies. All dogs have the potential to snap and bite. Consider a breed that is less touch sensitive and can tolerate small children. Labs are know for this.

[quote] Consider a breed that is less touch sensitive and can tolerate small children. Labs are know for this.[/quote]

But labs, especially young ones can be very hyper and accidently knock a young child over. If this person would want a lab (which I doubt, going from a "mini" yorkie to a lab :lol: ) I would suggest going through rescue and getting a slightly older more mellow dog. :D