Dogomania

Crufts 2004 best in show judge quits!

imported_Kat

What do you think of this folks: (copied from the Times)

Top Crufts judge resigns over puppy farm smears
By Valerie Elliott, Countryside Editor

THE chairman of Crufts and his wife have both been forced out of the Kennel Club after a hate campaign which has undermined this year's championship show.

Peter Mann and his wife, Joyce, who was to be this year's judge of Best in Show, have resigned from their prestigious posts after anonymous accusations that Mrs Mann was involved in "puppy farming" more than 30 years ago.

The episode has rocked the close world of competitive dog shows before the 113th Crufts championship show in March. Senior Kennel Club figures have no idea who is behind the skulduggery but they accept that the canine world is riddled with rivalries.

The charges were circulated in an unattributable press release sent to British dog magazines and senior members of the Kennel Club. The couple were also bombarded with abusive phone calls and hate mail.

This campaign started just over two weeks ago after someone scoured Kennel Club documents to research Mrs Mann's record as a breeder of Yorkshire terriers in the late 1960s and early 1970s. An entry in the club's Breed Records Supplement, which lists all new pedigree dog registrations, found that in 1971 alone Mrs Mann registered 23 litters of 126 puppies and that she sold some of the dogs to traders.

The Kennel Club confirmed yesterday that both had resigned their posts. A spokeswoman said there was no dispute about the breeding records but she makes clear that Mrs Mann, who owned several bitches at the time, did nothing unlawful. It was common then for breeders to sell some puppies to dealers and many pedigree dogs were bought at pet shops. Today commercial puppy farming is considered unethical and there are laws to prevent it.

The Manns, a retired couple from Edinburgh, were at their house last night but wished to make no comment."

Now to me this says a form of puppy farming registering that number of dogs in a single year :evil: Frankly my opinion is that Crufts should be to promote responsible dog ownership and showing and show how a dog and handler can bond. This judge doesn't portray any of this and I am very glad that she will not be judging BIS. :evil:

Things were much different 30 years ago. There were many large commercial show kennels - that's just the way it was. AKC runs stories about the "historically significant" big kennels all the time. I don't understand why she is being punished for something so far in the past that was LEGAL at the time. It would be different if she was still running a mill, but she's not. Who knows, maybe she saw the error of her ways and has been promoting responsible dog breeding these past 30 years. It's hard for me to get all bent out of shape over something like this.

Guest Anonymous

I have to say I agree with Kiger on this one! While it does seem really shocking and right away you want to get your nickers in a twist and exclaim "EVIL PUPPY MILLER" but it [b]WAS [/b]legal at the time, and things [i]were[/i] very much different.

Guest Anonymous

I really dont think they should shunn her for something she did so long ago. I would almost bet that most of the best breeders today started out as what some would consider a puppy mill. I know some of the best APBT breeders would still be considered puppy mills (although culling is practiced quite regularly).
Regardless of what she did then, she knows, now, what she is doing.

these kinds of things really heat me up. What she did 30 YEARS ago, when doing it was considered legal, should NOT affect what she does now...can we say for certain she is still puppy-milling? Back then it was not a crime.
or even looked down upon. We have learned a lot of things since then, which we didnt know back then, which is why NOW puppy-milling is becoming illegal. But if you DIDNT KNOW what you were doing was wrong,
is it still wrong? Can we just ASSUME she knew it was wrong, bad for the breed, and could cause health problems, when no one else did?

No, I think this is "trash slinging" because she pissed someone or someones off on a decision, and they decided to get even....couldnt they find some more CURRENT infringement to take her up on?

I was a child of the 70's...I smoked pot....can I be maligned for that now?
ONLY if I run for office, and someone can dig up the proof...

this is just ridiculous...

:lol: throwing a big spanner in the works here :lol:

If many years ago it was ok to farm puppies and breed for dealers and not give a S*** where they end up was ok, then i am sorry this person
never ever had any ethics or morals as someone who brings these furbabies into the world. I dont care if then was then, not all breeders didnt care, some still cared, still found suitable homes for their pups.
This person bred over 135 yorkies in one year, ONE YEAR. selling them to who ever paid the price. And now she sits with her husband on the only Kennel club in the uk, telling people what is right and what is wrong,
I think many many more of these holier than thou will be pooping their pants, what skeletons will come out of their closet soon??????

does the saying he who without sin should cast the first stone make anyone think :lol:
[size=1]And she was a crappy face judge too[/size] :lol: :lol: :lol:

oops :oops:
I also want to say.
There is a difference with breeding many litters a year and caring where they go
than breeding many litters a year and not knowing where they do go.

ETHICS and MORALS enough said