Dogomania

OMG!! Religion and DOGS?

courtnek

watching animal precinct....these people had **26**poodles, and the city offered to let the "spay and neuter" mobile van come to them to fix the dogs...it cost them NOTHING...they FOUGHT about it due to religious reasons? WHAT RELIGIOUS REASONS COULD YOU HAVE FOR NOT SPAYING/NEUTERING YOUR DOGS????

I was brought up a catholic, and dont remenber anything saying yu could not neuter your dogs....

[quote name='courtnek'] WHAT RELIGIOUS REASONS COULD YOU HAVE FOR NOT SPAYING/NEUTERING YOUR DOGS????

I was brought up a catholic, and dont remenber anything saying yu could not neuter your dogs....[/quote]

Ok I'll bite and play Devils Advocate. The reason some people of different religions don't spay/neuter is the same reason that allot of Catholics don't use birth control. It's not "natural" or how god (whatever god that may be) created things.

Do you know what religion these people were? I only saw like 5 mins of the show and all I know is that they are Russan.

I have nothing against religion in general, or religious people, but something like this just makes me so [b]angry[/b]!!! :x :x :evil: I HATE the way people can interpret practicly whatever they want from religous things! :x And EVEN IF the bible or other holy books stated "Spaying and neutering is bad" it is still NOT RIGHT!!! :x Just cause religion says something doesn't mean its right. Poor dogs. :cry:

Here's the reason I think the religion thing was a crock. I mean, I'm sure some people have religious beliefs that are consistent with this, but it took these people a couple of days to decide it was against their religion. They went along with arranging to have the spay/neuter truck meet them there and then at first they said don't fix the puppies because people won't buy them like that and then they started muttering this and muttering that before FINALLY saying, "AH! It's against our religion!" Unless they got religion overnight between the time they agreed to have the truck meet them there and the time it actually got there, these people are just plain ol' bybs/millers and a couple of scammers, IMO. If I'm not mistaken, some of the older dogs did get altered. If it was so against their religion, what made it ok to alter SOME of the dogs and not the others?

[quote]Ok I'll bite and play Devils Advocate. The reason some people of different religions don't spay/neuter is the same reason that allot of Catholics don't use birth control. It's not "natural" or how god (whatever god that may be) created things. [/quote]

:lol: :lol: devils advocate it is!

in the bible it states specifically that God told people to go forth bear fruitof young....which strict catholics take literally. However, back when Christ was around, the world wasnt extremely overpopulated the way it is now, and I think if he were to reappear he would ask us to stop bearing so much fruit, we have too much already...
JMO. However, I dont remember a single passage where God or Jesus required people to let their animals bear young excessively.

and HF, you're right. Under extreme pressure from AC and the Humane Society they finally allowed some of the older poodles to be neutered.
That's one of the the things that ticked me off...I dont buy off on sudden religious conversions for political and advantageous reasons.

I'm a Catholic, and while we don't believe in artificial birth control, that teaching does NOT apply to animals!

I saw a question about this once on a very orthodox Catholic site, and it said that since animals have no free will (basically, they can't HELP but "do it"), then this obviously does not apply to them and they can morally be spayed/neutered.

Lol somehow I don't find this surprising at all. Many of the vile and stupid things people do in this world are over religion. Wars, genocide, murder, torture etc. Doesn't surprise me they somehow got a hold on this issue as well!!

I find it surprising though because early interpretations maintained that animals don't have souls, so under that guidline spaying and neutering should be okay. Or as mentioned the other interpretation in which spaying/neutering prevents overpopulation, needless euthanasia and disease etc thus being in line with the "good book." Hey even though those families that don't use birth control in Africa are bringing their children into a world of misery, hunger and pain its fine by the Church because that's God's word! Seems like religion can be twisted to mean anything which IMHO means its meaningless =) .

Never mind me though.... just venting.

Ok I saw the episode last night, they re-ran it at 2 in the morning. This particular incident they seemed to use the Religion card as a cop out. And they were obviously BYB or whatever.

But lets just pretend that I owned a dog and my religon said that spay/neutering was bad or unacceptable. So I don't get my pet neutered/spayed. There isn't anything wrong with that in my mind. But It boils down to responsibility NOT religion. I would have to be responsible enough to know not to get a male dog and a female dog.

I just think that this should be a responsibility issue not a religions one.