Dogomania

Update on neighbor's Bulldog (K, better grab a smoke)

Horsefeathers!

Anyone remember her?
[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0ZADeAtIg0Lh2l1vy3badVt!u6rDGh1aaxxghrd!TfO79liAPWXniptIS*T2PRZAnd6JqfLp9cgkquZv6yZoJA1iDGqJOjkJraY1zzl2T9NkrwJEsnElp8Zk5tUGgkTvaHsDI5P5Qe5V2yMN5UTb4lQ/doggie%20visitor.jpg?dc=4675448300126031089[/img]

A few months ago, as I was unloading groceries, this dog just came bounding up to me full speed, dragging a chain behind her. Apparently, she belonged to a neighbor. She was just as friendly as she could be and we gave her a bit of food just because that's what we do when dogs wander up around here (don't ask why... I really don't know). After we played with her for a bit and fed her, my husband took her chain and walked her back home. The lady that came to the door couldn't be bothered with her. This lady was downright nasty, "just tie her to the steps or something!" This dog spends her life tied to a tree in the back and we NEVER see anybody paying her any attention. Whenever she sees my husband or me in our yard, she goes nuts. This girl really cries out for attention and it kills me to see her tied up, day in and day out, to that tree. :(

Here's the update... first I heard them. Then I saw them. She now has puppies. We've seen two, but I would think there should have been more. It's been really cold here at night lately and I'm afraid to think what might have happened to the rest.

Anyway, I just thought you'd like an update (mainly K). :(

Guest Anonymous

:( :( I would think that leaving a dog tied up outside all day without any attention is neglect, but I'm guessing legally it isn't concidered so, or you would have done something sooner eh? :cry: I wish her and her new pups the best of luck, and I hope she can get out of the situation she's in (safely) ASAP :(

Guest Anonymous

I think everyone's ideas are good, 'pecially Hmmm's, I think you should deffently report them since it's cold and she's got puppers now!! :( Oh, I hope you can get her out of there, I know you can!! :angel:

Well seeing as the owners are so morally wrong, maybe you could do a little something thats leagally wrong? Steal the dog and the pups and ship them to K!!!! Or if K's got her hands tied, ship them to me!!! The owners will never know. PUHLEESSS!!! She is so cute!!! And if you offered to take them the owners would never agree, they just want the money! :evil:

I can see the begginings of a puppy mill here, the same neglect is shown, all they need now is to taste the money and you may find yourself living next door to a mill! I know its wrong, but is there any way you can sneak in and steal the dog AND its pups? :(

If you took her yourself the owners probably wouldn't even notice her among your pack :lol:

No seriously I was gonna suggest Aroura's idea but wasen't sure how you'd feel about it. I wish I could help, but I'm way too far away. :( She is a pretty one, with her beautiful blue eyes. I'm sure you wouldn't have any trouble finding someone who wants her.

Guest Anonymous

As someone who has experienced dog thieves, who I completely despise....I have to agree. If the proper authorities wont help, go get that poor dog.
I have kinda become a pit bull rescue over the last two weeks and know several people who want bully dogs (not gamebred, just as pets). I have taken in two currs because of the owners not wanting them. No papers, not gamebred, nothing but beautiful pups. One of em, this beautiful little male is only 6 months old. The guy who had him said he was going to take him out and shoot him if I didnt take him. Said he chews everything up and doesnt listen! Hey, hes 6 months old, what do you expect? I went to the vet and paid to fix both pups (thank god my cousin is my vet, discounted!!). So now I am kinda a rescue. Never thought that would happen as I have enough mouths to feed.
I will be traveling that way in about two months to breed a dog soooo... :evilbat:

while I too despise dog theives, I HAVE stolen one, long ago. A beautiful shepherd mix, tied up outside all the time, no contact with people except when they dropped off his food and water outside...(in Chicago, where winter gets below zero...how viable is the water going to be then???) I saw and heard him out there, night after night, in the freezing cold and blazing heat of this part of the country...no shelter, tied with a six foot leash, he was laying in his own feces half the time. I called AC, all the people did was extend the tie out so he didnt have to sleep in his own poop, and put a cardboard box out there for him to sleep in...A CARDBOARD BOX!!!
the rules werent quite so strict back then. I offered to take him, they got offended and said "what, you think we cant take care of our own dog?"
(well, yes, actually, I DO think that)...so I started plotting. I had a friend who lived on a farm about 40 miles from there, who was looking for a nice dog. didnt want a puppy, too much work, but an adult dog that would be good with his farm animals. I figured Shepherd, probably could make it ok on a farm, with a loving and caring owner. They named the poor thing "Chaos" and he was as sweet as pie. If they wanted a guard dog, he wasnt it. He would strain on his tie out for ANYBODY to come by and pay attention to him. So I stole him. Plain and simple, after they left for work, then drove him to Jeff's farm. On the drive I renamed him Phoenix,
(risen from the fire) and he answered to it, and lived with Jeff, until he died three years ago of natural causes...was I wrong? In the eyes of the law, yes (the people had the police come to my house when they got home, but of course, Phoenix wasnt there, and I claimed complete unknowing) did I do wrong MORALLY? No, I dont think so.

As much as I would love to help her out, I cannot personally take her for several reasons. I don't have a problem with the idea of discreetly removing her from that yard, but there is nothing I can do with her if I do. I can't keep her here and there is nowhere I can place her. Again, dogs like her are a dime a dozen in our area. Literally hundreds of Pits and Pit mixes in shelters nearby are needing homes. Also, there is the issue of what to do with the puppies, who look just about old enough to be weaned. My yard is nearly adjacent to these folks' yard and there is no way I could keep her and the puppies hidden if I took them. Besides, and I'm sure this is likely to stir up a debate, but I am not going to bring another Pit or Pit mix into this household. I have nothing against them, personally. I'm just not prepared, emotionally or physically, to handle all that goes with it and I owe it to the dogs already here to keep them safe. Maybe I'm just a bit bitter after the ordeal with Penny. While this was a sweet dog while she was in my yard, she was way too interested in one of my other dogs who came to see what was going on. Not interested as in, "hey, who are you, sniff my butt and say hello..." but interested as in, "hey, back off, bitch! take one more step over here and I'll break you in half!" Maybe it was because she was eating or pregnant, but I'm not going to go through it again. I wish against wish that there was some safe haven I could take this dog to, but there just isn't. I would gladly remove her if I had somewhere to take her.

I do like the idea of calling animal control again since the puppies are there. I have called them regarding this dog in the past and they said there was nothing they could do as long as it looks like she has food, water and shelter. Maybe now that it's so cold at night and there are puppies involved, they *might* do something. I seriously doubt it, but I will certainly call them again. I do so hate to see this sweet girl and her babies in the cold with no one to care for them.

Way to go courtneck!!! Saving that poor dog, I think we all want to save some dog at some stage or another, but thats the problem, once we rescue it whos gonna take it? Good that you had a friend you knew would look after it :D

Horsefeathers, I completely understand why you can't take her and the pups in. I just wish I lived a little closer and I would take them all without a second thought!!! She is a beautiful dog, and the pups must be gorgeous too!

Why do people keep dogs if they aren't prepared to love and care for them? Lets just hope something will be done about it this time, for the dogs sake :-?

I understand completely HF...I only told this story (with much embarassment, because I got flamed from my mother and friends when I told them I had done it) so that if you DID want tosnake her out of there, you might not feel so bad about it....

I just got lucky. Jeff wanted the dog, had a place to keep him, far enough away that it was unlikely to ever be found out. I completely understand that you cant take her in. I am really very sorry for you, and her and the pups. I often wondered if the neighbors saw me do it, since they were all around and alot of them the moms stayed home. And if so, did they just decide to keep quiet about it because they agreed? I'll never know...