Dogomania

Sheding Problem... during winter?

__crazy_canine__

Ok my friend Claire who adopted my buddy Amigo (the pit in my avatar) said she has noticed lately he has been sheding like crazy. We cant figure out why he would be doing this, can anyone explain? His fur is short and he is losing so much but as far as we know its not because of any skin problems. She thinks maybe he had anxiety from her being on vacation but she isnt sure. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, thank you!

Angela

It could be anxiety. Do Pits normally shed alot, I know Pugs are notorious shedders. Are there bald spots from his shedding so much? It could be his diet, was there a food change? What type of food is she feeding him? Natural Choice dog food is gauranteed, sp?, to improve skin and coat. Hope she figures out why. :)

Some dogs are seasonal shedders, some are year long shedders...alot of breeds such as Lab's, Rottweilers and I would assume APBT's etc. are year round shedders. Anxiety can cause a dog to blow its coat more than usual, for example a trip to the vet's office can cause a dog to blow its coat while in the office...I am surprised my Rottie has any coat left when we leave the Vet clinic :lol: Also at home she sheds daily, I am constantly sweeping up after her...and my Newf's.
One more thing that can cause excess shedding other than stress and the normal growth rate of the coat is dry air, artificial heat and more importantly indoor lights, tend to make a dogs coat shed in a more or less continuous fashion...I don't know what your weather is in your area of the world..but, here in Canada during the winter with the temp's turned up in the house....the dry air can really zap most of the moisture out of the coat and cause excess shedding...the best thing you can do in this situation is to add more omega 3 fatty acids to your dogs diet...I really like to add canned sardines (packed in water) to my dogs food a couple of times a week...and some times I add canned wild alaskan Salmon to thier food. You can also add ground flax seeds or flax seed oil...or hemp oil....or you can buy supplements. You can also keep the coat brushed to get the dead hairs out before they fall on the floor.

Kiger, I know exactly how you feel. When Indy is blowing his coat it's a never-ending source of fur. I can keep brushing the same spot for 15 minutes and still keep getting massive wads of fur off him.

Once I have brushed him I look like the abominable fur monster - I usually have to vacuum myself. :-?

[quote name='Malamum']Kiger, I know exactly how you feel. When Indy is blowing his coat it's a never-ending source of fur. I can keep brushing the same spot for 15 minutes and still keep getting massive wads of fur off him.

Once I have brushed him I look like the abominable fur monster - I usually have to vacuum myself. :-?[/quote]
LOL, I feel your pain. To top it all off, I have Dexter sitting next to me watching the process. When I am not looking he will try to EAT the pile of hair. :eating:

I gave him a warm bath last night to open the pores and loosen up the last of the undercoat. OMG, I have never seen so much hair in my life. I put him up on the table afterwards to dry him and chunks were coming out before I even touched him. I used a blow dryer and it went flying everywhere. The good news is that I haven't seen any hair coming off this morning so maybe I finally got it all!