Dogomania

My dog keeps snapping/biting when I try to groom her

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Can you help me. My 5 year old [b]shih tzu [/b] keeps snapping/biting me whenever I try to bathe/groom him. I picked him up about 3 months ago at a local animal shelter so I don't know what his background is. He is on the most part very lovable and follows me around everywhere. Do you have any suggestions for me.

Thanks,

Here is a suggestion:

Have some yummy treats in one hand and show them to your dog. Run the brush over him and if he doesn't snap or bite praise him and give him a treat. Gradually increase the amount of brushing before you give him a treat, and sound happy while you brush him. He may have been brushed harshly in his previous home and is afraid of it. Let him know there's nothing to be scared of. Lots of positive reinforcement!
My westie also had this problem, he used to bite me and the brush whenever I tried to brush him. He didn't like the brush, it was a slicker brush. He still doesn't really like the slicker so I use a different brush. Are you using a slicker brush? Maybe that is the problem.
Good luck with your dog!

Where exactly do you groom him? Do you put him on a table, the floor, or in you lap?

When I first got Felix, my Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, (he's a little dog too :wink: ) he refused to stand still on the table when I brushed him. I'd talk to him while brushing and gently but firmly reprimand when he tried to move... even tried the treats with him but he still moved. Finally, out of frustration, I picked him up and sat in my big, comfy rocking chair with him in my lap and brushed him there. He fell alseep. :roll: Now he lets me pick him up and rotate him around like a rag-doll so I can get to those hard to reach areas of him while he's laying in my lap. He sleeps through the whole ordeal.

Hope this helped some. If not then I hope I gave you some encouragement to keep trying until something works for you and your lil' one. :D

Amanda

another thing - you could try those "brush mitts", which is basically a glove that you wear that has short bristles on it. you are actually brushing him as you pet him, my cat loves it. It will get him accustomed to being brushed and handled, and then you could graduate to a real brush once he's used to it and realizes it's pleasant.