Dogomania

Thinking of a beagle...

Annushka

I'm going to get another dog for agility soon. Can anyone say their OWN opinion about beagles? All the books say they're very energetic and fast and I know that one beagle became Agility World Champion. But they're not so popular agility dogs like Border Collies or shelties... Are there any problems with having a beagle? And what is good in them?

I don't know about Agility, but my fiances parents got a beagle for like a week.. And it was so cute and named Snickers! It was giving to them by a friend who found out that the dog was to much trouble.. But within a week they changed their mind and took Snickers back

The Beagles that I have met are very stubborn, very very stubborn, and there are easyer things you can do than to train a Beagle. They are on the whole very nice dogs and have a very good personality, but they tend to be a bit of a tease, many of those that I have met would just as well walk around and sniff the ground than work with you on the course (but my view of the breed may bee a bit obscured since all the beagles here come from a puppy mill). If you want to have the best oppertunity to advance in the sport of agility I would reccomend a nother, faster breed, but if you are on the same mind as one of the best brittish agility handler, she says "I have this breed because I like them, I like their personality and I share my life with them, Agility is something we do together" I would say go for it, they are very wonderfull dogs :)

Guest Mutts4Me

My OWN opinion on beagles? They're loud ;)

My next door neighboors have varying numbers of beagles, all of which have been outdoor dogs. They've kept my family up at nights, they've annoyed my family and my dog during the day... They just bay and bay... Of course that's not their fault, because I wouldn't want to be left outside at all times either.

Actually, the single beagle they now have (the product of a past litter) was finally brought in the house as a pet when the guys decided he couldn't successfully train her to hunt. So now she lives inside and is fat, but she still runs along her property line and bays at us and our dog when anyone's outside at the same time she is.

So I don't have the best opinion on the dogs, but only because of bad experiences.

• 4 weeks later...

I've never owned one but I've taken care of my cousin's for a bit. He's quite energetic. He can outrun my two sheltie boys anyday. The speed would be great for agility but boy oh boy, if there was an 'interesting' scent in the air, he'd be gone like that!! (lol) I guess they'd be alright for agility but keep in mind that they like to 'follow their nose' and seem quite stubborn as far as training goes.