Dogomania

I have a bully for a bloodhound

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

My bloodhound just turned 1 and she's a bit of a bully. She trys to bully everything and one. Shes not afraid of anything and just looks at ya like whatever. She gets a little aggresive when it comes to food and things she really wants. Where on her all the time is this normal behavior for this breed. Any suggestions?

i read somewhere that the hound breeds are so independent, they own you, do what they wanna do and follow the scents all the time no matter if you're in front of them with your worst face (Lola does). I agree mei mei you have to take that girl to some classes so you can understand and deal with her.

they are very independent, like hunting breeds, so recall is not the best.
But this is food aggression, not acceptable in ANY breed. I talked to my friend Mark....I am not very familiar with bloodhounds and their characterisitics so I asked someone who breeds them...he said "put a stop to it NOW! these are big, powerful dogs. They need to be under control
at all times". You need to get your dog into training to get the dominance issues worked out.

I've been through the food aggression with alot of my dogs...I found it quite common place with alot of my kennel dogs. Not all of my dogs which showed possesion guarding were dominant...this behavior can happen with any breed of dog, or mongrel on any level of social standing.

First, I would use the "nothing is free" in life policy...control as many of your dog's valuable resources as possible. Ask your dog to say "please" by offering an appropriate behavior in order to earn a resource...food, treats, toys, a trip outside, or a chance to sit with you. Teach your dog sit to say "please" ...
First to reduce her food related aggression, feed her from a bowl and give her one kibble at a time. If she growls, take the bowl away and wait 5 minutes before offering another kibble. She will soon learn that growling leads to the disappearance of her food...not the disappearance of you. After you have accomplished this approach then on a daily basis for each meal; after preparing your dog's food (make sure she sees you making it) lift the bowl off the counter with her meal in it, and hold it at your chest. Wait for her to sit. If necessary, move the bowl over her head to lure the sit, or ask her to sit verbally. When she sits, tell her she's a good dog and lower the bowl on the floor without her moving. Then tell her "okay" and encourage her to eat....by doing this you are saying to your dog..."this food is really mine, because as leader all things belong to me, but because I'm nice I'm letting you have some of MY food."
If your dog has an object in her mouth that you want to remove...at present until you teach her "drop it" and "take it"...if you want to take some thing from your dog, offer her some thing better in replace of the object you want. This is rewarding the dog for dropping the valued item...when she drops it for the better treat...tell her "good dog" and give her the treat. This is basically positive training...success builds confidence, removes confusion...our dog's need to be able to predict our behavior just as we like to be able to predict theirs.
To teach "off" and "take it" have a tasty treat ready... when I first taught this to my Rottweiler I put the treat under my foot. I moved my foot to one side so my dog could see the treat...when she went to grab it I said "off" and covered it with my foot again...I kept repeating this exercise until she looked away the next time I lifted my foot from the treat...when she was looking the other way, I said her name then said "take it". I repeated this exercise over and over...it took me almost an hour to teach this to her in the beginning...but, it has been the best thing I could have taught her. When I want an item from her...at first I would say "off" she would drop it and I would give her some thing better for a reward. If it was a game I was playing with her such as fetch (this is probably a game a blood hound will not be interested in! :lol: ) but, I would have her bring the toy back to me...I would say "off" then the object would be thrown for her again.
Don't confuse your dog by using harsh training methods...also find a good trainer in your area who teaches "positive training" methods. You may also want to discuss the food aggression with a trained animal behaviorist...the worst thing you can do at this time is confuse your dog and give it more of a reason to guard it's possessions...or worse still, by using harsh training methods you could inadvertently make your dog into a fear biter. And always be consistant with your training and make sure the whole family is using the same methods...and make sure you have professional help....perhaps talk with her breeder as well.

Good luck to you... :wink:

One last little thing I forgot to go over with you... :oops:
Adolescence (which at one year of age your dog is going through currently ) is a very difficult stage to go though...I have just gone through adolescence with my last 4 dogs and 2 of them are still in the adolescent stage!!! they will test you to see what they can get away with...I used the "nothing is free policy " on all of my dogs when I took them in...be consistant. Leadership is necessary for either "fearful" dog or "assertive dog"...
- watch your tone of voice, avoid coxing or whining.

Guest Anonymous

[quote]My bloodhound just turned 1 and she's a bit of a bully. She trys to bully everything and one. Shes not afraid of anything and just looks at ya like whatever. She gets a little aggresive when it comes to food and things she really wants. Where on her all the time is this normal behavior for this breed. Any suggestions?[/quote]

The food issue is it with just other dogs or with dogs and people? The bullying? One of my bloodhounds (Maddie)does not like other dogs around her while she eats but yet I can put my hand in her bowl while she eats with no reaction.
She will get the toys she wants from the other dogs. Bullying is it pushing or what...pushing for a bloodhound is just walking by you for my two..lol

The not being afraid of anything and whatever look is a typical bloodhound. They are a breed all their own. They do things in their own time, their own way, and that is it. They have a personality like no other dog I have ever seen and each bloodhound is different. HOWEVER never accept aggression from a bloodhound toward a person be it over food, a toy or anything.
I would recommend calling a bloodhound breeder and finding a trainer that has dealt with bloodhounds if the agression is towards people. (Maybe the breeder could actually help you) Bloodhound temperments can be hard to deal with. You cannot be too hard or they shut down or too soft and they do not respond.

HI JACSMOM!! welcome back

I am finding its not just bloodhounds, but hounds in general. My Foxhound is the same way...they are very sensitive, you cant yell at them or they get depressed, but if you dont stop them they take over. I think they're too intelligent and are playing us, personally.... :lol: :lol:

[quote name='courtnek']HI JACSMOM!! welcome back

I am finding its not just bloodhounds, but hounds in general. My Foxhound is the same way...they are very sensitive, you cant yell at them or they get depressed, but if you dont stop them they take over. I think they're too intelligent and are playing us, personally.... :lol: :lol:[/quote]

My German Shepherd is like this but not sensitive, man that would make it hard!!! Especially for me!
I thought it was a girl thing? Maybe it is a bit?
I use NILIF (Nothing In Life Is Free) and it helps a lot because your dog gets what they want/need but don't just expect it. They have to work for it so they don't take things for granted. Their overall behaviour is better because they are not so pushy, bossy or forceful with what they want. They look to you focused, "what do you want me to do so I can have that" whether it is, a treat, their dinner, a play session or a trip outside or anything: Nothing In Life Is Free! :D