Dogomania

He KICKED her!!

Yesterday evening as I was coming out of the car, Rowie came running up to greet me as usual. She was running really fast, when our gardner/helper around the house, Proveen, came and blocked her with his body so she wouldn't bash into me (she does this sometimes :-?). Although I didn't see any need for him to do that, I said thank you, and started walking by. As Rowie saw me passing, she tried to move away from him to walk by me, and before I knew it, Proveen kicked her [b]in her throat[/b]! I was mortified, but thankfully, he didn't kick her hard enough to actually hurt. But, the point is, he KICKED her. He kicked MY dog! My response was to gasp, then I said :"Don't you [i]ever[/i] kick Rowie again!" He just kinda shrugged and left. I told Rowie to come and gave her an ear massage (her favorite).

My question is, how long has Rowie been going through this abuse? Could this have not been the first time Proveen kicked her? Maybe that is why Rowie (sometimes) nips when she is frustrated, angry, or when I raise my hand/leg? Maybe this is why, sometimes, our training goes wrong when I praise her by touch? (Saying Good Girl and running my hand along the side of her back or patting it. I heard that petting the head means I am showing her she is boss.)

The worst thing is, I feel really guilty. Right in my own home, my own dog has been suffering abuse for God knows how long! I should have noticed the signs. He never ever hit her infront of me, but sometimes he did "shout" at her or talk really sharply and loudly to her. I always corrected him and told him not to. He doesn't know english and that's a huge problem, sometimes he doesn't know when I say yes or no!

I'm really, really worried about her trust to humans now. She's fine with everyone, but if he continues treating her this way (without me knowing), what will happen to Rowie's behaviour? Horrible things could happen, she could never trust humans, start fear biting, won't do good with normal training methods (I might have to treat her like a shy dog). Even worse, she could get hurt!!

It sounds very irresponsible :( I hope you can understand that I just found this out, and I will do everything in my power to A) Get rid of him or B) Make sure he stops. I'm still really shocked, and yes, I have informed my parents and they will have a talk with him. If he still doesn't stop, we will fire him. He was informed from the very begining that Rowie was a part of the family, and he should treat her like part of the family. She isn't just a pet, she's our baby. I'm sure all of you know what I mean. :wink:

I'm still very shocked. Any ideas on what else I should do? :-?

Get rid of him!!! this Proveen has proven he has a very weak character...goodness knows what else he is doing behind your back and your parents!!! the worst thing is if Rowie ever did bite him in self defense...he would be the first person to raise a fuss and probably try to sue.
[quote]he didn't kick her hard enough to actually hurt. But, the point is, he KICKED her. He kicked MY dog! My response was to gasp, then I said :"Don't you ever kick Rowie again!" He just kinda shrugged and left[/quote]
I have met many men like this...the behavior does not change...to them dogs are like running nuisances....myself, I wouldn't want him around my dog or people that may get on his nerves....
Don't feel guilty about this...how were you to know. We all like to trust the people we hire are handling our property and pets with care behind our backs...it is quite shocking when you find out some times what they have been doing behind your back... :o
If your parents won't fire him, perhaps there is a way you can insure Rowie never has to be around this creep again.
I feel so bad for you as I know you must be experiencing some pretty harsh feelings towards yourself at this moment...don't...direct those feelings towards Proveen ...he is the one who has done the crime...you know if it were legal, too bad it isnt :roll: I'd like to do back to the person exactly what they have done to the dog...you see that the grass is not cut properly, walk over and kick him where it hurts then walk away...don't explain to him why you have just kicked him!!! :lol: that is how people often treat our dogs...poor Rowie was excited to see you and that jerk kicked her!!! Rowie doesnt know what she did wrong to deserve that kick...is it wrong to love your owner??? geez we even explain to our fellow humans why we are punishing them!!!
Well, good luck to you and I hope your parents fire him for treating a member of the household so roughly.

Everyone, thank you so much for your advice, and moral support! :wink: Cassie, I especially loved the "kick him where it hurts" part!! :lol:

Sanvean, I did tell my parents. Good news, my mom had a talk with him. His excuse? "She was trying to bite" I have told him TIME and TIME again to be patient with Rowie, AND I have showed him what to do when Rowie starts nipping. My mother told him its because he's kicking her that shes nipping! What a jerk!

We have a two year contract with him, good news? My parents hate him, and as soon as his 2 year contract with him is over, he goes. Bad news? He leaves in OCOTOBER of this year.

We've had other cases with him before, too. I once gave him a list of Rowie's feeding schedule (I was leaving for vacation in the summer, and he and Sonita the houskeeper took care of Rowie) plus when to clean her bedding, take her out to potty, walk times...etc. He said he wouldn't do it. I mean, just like that, to my face. I asked him why, again and again and he said "I won't do it". (It was amazing he knew how to say that!!) I later asked Sonita WHY he wouldn't, and she said he thought it was too much. Why wouldn't he tell me? And secondly, is it too much to take Rowie out for 2 walks, feed her, let her out to potty..etc? And exactly WHO pays him?

I don't really have to worry about him hurting my family, its pretty complicated, lots of legal stuff, plus, he's pretty young. :o I think he dropped out of high school to work and support his family. I think that if he were still in school he'd be in...11th grade?

I'll keep you all updated, I'm alot better now. Again, thank you sooooo much for your posts. I'm glad I have so many people I can trust to understand the situation at hand here! :wink:

Oh, and now, Rowie's by me 24/7! :evilbat: I didn't even go out today! :lol:

One last thing, If we ever catch Proveen doing anything harmful to Rowie EVER again, he'll be out of this house so fast the gate won't even hit his dog kicking a** on the way out!! (That's the deal me and my parents made, anyway! :lol:)

[quote]Rowie doesnt know what she did wrong to deserve that kick...is it wrong to love your owner??? geez we even explain to our fellow humans why we are punishing them!!![/quote]

I just had to show this to my mother! You made it so clear, Cassie! I can never find the right words!

My mother kept telling me today how much she loves Rowie and thinks about her. Which is weird, because although I knew she loved Rowie, I didn't think she was as much as a doggie person as I am. We were having lunch, and she was telling me how much she sometimes feels sorry for Rowie because she isn't able to experience what us humans experience through life and stuff (although I'd like to live WITHOUT all those bad experiences...I'd rather be a dog :-?). And my mother (some of you might know) had a really tough childhood, and her father used to drink, her parents got divorced....etc. and she told me she thought she could handle everything but she couldn't. So two years ago she started seeing a doctor and she told him how much she loved Rowie and thought about her and sometimes felt sorry for her, and he told her she saw herself in Rowie. Rowie also had a bad begining in life, she was taken away from her mother and littermates at one month of age, was shipped from Thailand all the way to Bahrain. Her previous owner, although had good intentions, just didn't know how to take care of a dog. I feel so blessed that Rowie, at the age of 6 months, was able to make her way into our lives. Her heart of gold has touched us all! :angel:

Woops, didn't mean to make it all personal. :oops: I was just suprised that my mother would actually mention Rowie to her Doc. I never knew she thought of her like that!

Guest Anonymous

You need to check over the contract. There should be some type of clause in there if he oversteps his boundries or does something to make him untrustworthy.
If all else fail, do what Ickle implied!!!

You definately should look into this some more. Usually in contractual based employment there is a clause that allows you to cut someone off as long as you give 30 days notice.

Doesn't matter if the contract was for 10 years or 10 months the 30 day clause usually applies. At lease thats how the big companies do things. If your contract was drawn up by a good lawyer it might have that clause in there. Make sure you check it out!

Rowie did you tell your parents? If not DO SO!!

Goldens are generally gentle souls, and this could crush enthusiasm, and may actually be the cause of some of the aggressiveness. You NEED to have your parents take this guy in line, and lay down the rules. I dont care
what his excuse was, Rowie wasnt hurtring him or even intending to.

I'm SERIOUS girl, tell your parents and have them take this guy to task.

Wish I had been there....I would probably have used some of the above mentioned "correctional procedures" to straighten him out. You're a gentle soul, Rowie, just like your pup....but in this situation, you need to get hard.

:evilbat:

Oh Rowie I'm so sorry! Give her a hug for me!

This "man" (I use that term lightly because no real man would have to kick a dog) is a total moron. I agree with Hmmmm, you should go threw the contract with your parents and see if there is anything that says if he steps out of line then his contract would be void.

The sad thing is, if he did this right in front of you then he probably does it when your not around. :x This moron needs to stay away from Rowie.

Then harrass him every chance you get, provided you have a way to secure Rowie whenever you aren't around. Maybe if you harrass him enough, he'll WANT to quit and you won't have to worry about a contract.

I'm with others, though. Most contracts leave "loopholes" where either party can get out of them. I'm sure there's a part of it that says something to the effect of if he causes damage to property, he's out of there. Well, dogs are still considered property as far as I know. Have your parents check it out because I'd just about bet there's some part of that contract he's violated if you look at it technically. If he was ballsy enough to kick your dog with you watching, he's been doing it a while on the sly. Wrongdoers, whether they be thieves or abusers, get bolder and bolder the longer they get away with something. They start out being careful not to get caught. Then they begin losing inhibition. I'd be willing to be dollars to doughnuts his behavior is only going to escalate because he's been able to get away with it all this time.

Swift kick to the groin and then get rid of him. Sounds like a winner to me. :)