Dogomania

anal glands expressed too often

Hippo has this "problem": she'll express her anal glands in the car, on the couch, in her bed etc. and it's not fun cleaning that up :evil: Talked to the vet about it and he emptied her anal sacs and said that the secretion looked clearer than with dogs that have normal secretions. But the anal sacs aren't inflamed or anything. He said there is a kind of treatment: he'd have to put something in her anal sacs while she's under anesthesia, but that it's not 100% guaranteed, and he wouldn't recommend doing it unless she was under for something else, which I agreed with. I mean, it stinks, but as long as it's not a health concern, we can live with it.

Now what I was hoping from you guys... has anyone ever heard of this problem? and if so, do you know any ways of solving it by diet changes/additions, or by using natural products? Thanks.

Most dogs will empty their anal sac's with a bowel movement...its basically their own personal scent...alot of dogs also will empty their anal sac's when they are frightened or anxious...believe me, at the grooming shop and vet clinic I have been unfortunate enough to be behind the dog when they have emptied their glands.... :x

Some breeds conformation predisposes them to anal gland problems as well...so some times its not just diet.
Dogs with recurrent anal gland problems are often placed on a high fiber diet. The high fiber makes the animal's stool more bulky. The stool will put more pressure on the anal glands and hopefully the glands will express themselves when the animal defecates. There are several commercial brands of high fiber dog food available. Animals may also be supplemented with bran or medications such as Metamucil which will increase the bulk of the stool.