Dogomania

How do you do ANYTHING with NINE dogs around?

You know how dogs just like to be underfoot? You go to the bathroom, they plod along. You go to the kitchen for a glass of water, there they are. Flop on the couch for some downtime, here they come. I'm sure everyone's dogs are like that.

However...

How do you get NINE dogs to understand that I'm not rejecting them when I shoosh them out of the way to get where I'm going? This place isn't huge by any stretch of the imagination, but if I get up to do ANYTHING, here they all come. They're not even all small dogs. No, the worst ones are the BIG ones. Tucker, the Lab, likes to be constantly in yer face and up close.

The evening so far has gone like this. I get home today from running my errands (Monday is take care of business day) and go through the usual ritualistic greetings ("yeah, yeah, love you, too, now go away..."). Monday afternoon/evening is take care of the house day. Soooo I go about my business of starting laundry. Go to the washer to start the water, nine dogs underfoot ("whatcha doin'??"). Go to the closet to retrieve clothes to be washed, dogs underfoot ("whatcha doin'??"). Load of clothes in arms up so high I can't see over them, shuffle through the crowd (to take steps means I'll crunch paws and tails, so we shuffle around here), head for the washer with the clothes, here they come ("whatcha doin'??"). Geez, I wish someone washed clothes around here from time to time so these dogs would know what's going on.

Time to dust. I have a system. First I go all around the house and take down all whatnots, knick knacks and doo dads and dust them. Here come the dogs ("whatcha doin'??"). Then I go back and dust the actual surfaces I removed the junk from. Nine dogs still in tow ("whatcha doin'??"). You'd think by now they'd kind of catch on. No, they continue to follow me step for step as I replace the crap I just dusted.

Time to vacuum. One would assume THAT would get them out of my hair for a minute or two. Nope, here they come ("whatcha doin'??"). The ones who aren't following me around are in front of it challenging it ("whatthehell's-it doin'??").

By now, clothes are starting to be washed/dry and it's time to fold and sort. Usually, by this time, they are offering assistance in dryer retrieving (oh, if only this were a competition sport somewhere...) and demolition ("hey, those are MY drawz... turn 'em LOOSE!!"). My attempts to fold are apparently interpreted as an invitation to play.

Now off to the closet to put sorted clothes away. Here come nine dogs right behind me ("whatcha doin'??").

My dogs are liars. They'd have anyone think I NEVER do housework, as fascinated as they seem by it each week.

I think my new year resolution is going to be to try to collectively teach these dogs to stay put somewhere. Individually and in small groups, they're great. I've never really never tried to have the lot of them all do something at once.

Then again, I have to admit I just about wouldn't have it any other way. Perhaps I should feel flattered. Ha? :o

One final note... several people who know me hate going anywhere with me. Apparently, I shuffle my feet EVERYWHERE I go. They get so sick of telling me to pick up my feet. Habit. :oops:

You describe it so well HF and K... :lol:
I can relate to this as well...having 6 BIG dogs....and 4 which drool constantley...well they make house work for me. I almost break down in tears when I see that it is raining out side...my Newf's are like sponges and they don't dry off for hours...my house can look like I had a mud wrestling competition in it...then they all fight for my attention! especially when they are wet and muddy.
We should start a support group. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

HF, that's adorable. They just want to be close to you.

Indy pretty much leaves me alone when I'm doing the house work except when I am cleaning the bath. He has an obsession with watching the water go down the drain and has to come and get right in close to me when I'm trying to clean it.

Guest Anonymous

:lol: :lol: Sounds like fun you guys! :lol: :wink:

I think what I've been dreaming for has now become my nightmare :o You know how i was having little problems with Coal being my MOM's dog, not mine? Yeah, well, my complaining days are over. Actually no, their just different complaints now. NOW I don't get a moment of alone time! He's littlerly ON MY HEELS 24/7, I can't even go to the bathroom without his company :roll: You can imagine the scene he puts on when I go to school :roll: :(

[quote]NOW I don't get a moment of alone time! He's littlerly ON MY HEELS 24/7, I can't even go to the bathroom without his company You can imagine the scene he puts on when I go to school
[/quote]

he's preparing you for children Shara, as K knows well...you cant 1. go to the bathroom - the kid will stand outside the door and scream 2. answer the phone, the kid will need your immediate attention right then and there.
3. do the dishes, he'll want to play with them and investigate the dishwasher 4. dust. he wants to dust too. 5. vacuum, he wants to play with the vacuum cleaner....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: