Dogomania

I've got a new dog!

imported_Cassie

Well, I now am the proud owner of a new dog! now I have 6 dogs.

Friday, on my way to work I saw a dobie mix running down the side of the busy highway...I pulled over and opened my door to get out to see if the dog was perhaps lost (the closest house is miles away) the dog jumped into my car....I was shocked at how scrawny the poor dog was... :o the grooming shop I work at is located under the Vet clinic I also work at...the dog stunk, coat very dull and I could easily put my fingers between each rib, its spinal cord is sticking out....just pitiful! I took it up stairs to have it examined...its malnutritioned, starving, gums are bleeding from poor nutrition etc. it is one of the saddest things I have ever seen.... :cry:
It is not neutered either...any way, other than being starved etc. and he has a very bad ear infection...he is the nicest dog, and gets along with all 5 of my pack...pretty good considering I already have 2 intact males at home. I am going to wait about a week before getting him vaccinated, his immunity is too low right now to handle vaccines at this point, and I will have him neutered in probably a month or so...he is too weak to go under sedation. This just breaks my heart, I am so thankful I picked him up...I live in Canada and our winters are so cold...the Vets told me the dog has been on the run for quite some time, they are surprised he made it this long.
I am going to put an alert on the radio about a found dog, and the SPCA has been noticfied...my friend is the head of the SPCA...she said I can keep the dog and they will not confiscate him....usually a case like this where serious neglect, or possible disease may be involved they would have quarantined him...but, he has been examined and the Vets said that he seems to be free of diseases...he will be wormed as well. I am taking him to work with me daily so the Vets can keep an eye on him for any unusual problems. If he just merely got away from his owners, perhaps seeking a bitch in heat...I will consider giving him back...but, I doubt very much...I think he was dumped...you should see him, he looks like a freak dog...the funniest looking thing I have ever seen....looks like a red dobe without the tail docked or ears cropped...very tall, too tall for a dobie...has a greyhound like body...
I love him so much already even though it has only been 2 - 1/2 days that I have had him...he is sitting here beside me right now with his head on my lap...

Thanks every one...((hugs))
It really makes me sad to think that there are other dogs out there on these cold cold nights which may be lost....or even sadder, tied in some ones back yard with inadequate shelter.
I really am falling for this character, he and my Rottweiler are hitting it off wonderfully...and my Newf's are great throw rugs for him to curl up with! :lol: I have named him Beau...and he seems to be responding to this name...I have taught him to sit already...he is very hungry and at first was almost attacking me to get to the food I was trying to give him...I now have him sit before I place the dish down. My Rottie has already taught him its not wise to try to steal her food... :lol: he is very submissive towards the other dogs...I have a new doggy bed for him (compliments of one of my friends) and he seems to be settling in great....my Rottie and my oldest female Newfoundland are not quite prepared to let him up on my bed yet.... :lol: they are really playful with him, but, they are also showing him whos who in the household. My 2 intact male Newfoundlands are very playful with him and have been trying to lick his ears...he is not too keen on that as they are very painful from the ear infection. I am really hoping no one claims him...I have already talked to my friend with the SPCA, she advised me not to give out too much information on the radio...if some one calls ask them to describe the dog to me and how long has he been lost...if they say only a few days or a week etc. then my friend advised me not to give him back...and they will want the persons name for possible neglect charges...or what ever they do...perhaps keep track of bad dog owners for future reference...gee, I really should ask her what they would do to the person.
Thanks every one for your well wishes...he is such a dear. The only problem we have run into was he nipped one of the Vet tech's while they were checking his ears....he is OK with me or my sister around his ears, I think he has just been through so much and was just starting to trust me and then 2 strangers whisk him away without my being with him to poke and prode him...I will work on this in the future, right now I just want him to be healthy....behavior and attitudes or fear based issues can be worked on later.

Guest Anonymous

Oh your such an angel! He is a VERY lucky dog to have found you! :wink: I hope he doesnt' get claimed too, because he seems to have found doggy Heaven at your place :lol: :wink:

Just for the record, I was trying to remember this the other day... you have this would be, 6 dogs now right? (wow, wish I could have 6 dogs! :lol: ) I know you have newfs and a rottie, but I'm not sure how many of what or who! :lol: Mind explaining it to me so I dont' get confused in your posts? :wink: I would love to hear about your pack!

HazelNutMeg, I currently have 6 dogs and 3 cats....hopefully I will be able to keep the 6th dog. I have 4 Newfoundland dogs...only one of them is legally my dog...the other 3 legally belong to the breeder, she basically farms them out at to me....after she finishes with them she will then sign them over to me...at no charge...this is the best way to get a dog! :lol: the breeder pays all Vet bills, food, obedience classes (I am trying to get a CD on my 2 males...my females have no interest in obedience) The breeder still uses them for breeding and showing, so there fore the 2 males; (Dilon & Gil) are still intact and 1 of my females (Tori) has not been spayed...actually she is a little over 2 years of age now and will be bred her next heat cycle...she will not be whelping at my home..thank goodness! :lol: she will go stay with the breeder until the pups are old enough. My oldest female Newf. Cass...is now 8 years old and still acts like a pup, she is spayed and legally mine, the breeder signed her over to me when she was 5 years old.
I rescued my Rottweiler; she was left tied in a back yard while her owner was in jail...this was a very sad case and thank goodness she was found! the SPCA asked if I would keep her as she had too many issues and they felt where I live on my own with no children I would be the best person to handle her and resolve the issues....I am proud to say that she has over come all her aggressive tendancies and is the perfect pet. My newest Dobie mix I have named Beau, he is lovely....but, also has a few issues I will work on once he is back to health. All of my cats I have rescued as well...all of my animals get along wonderful together...with my Newfoundlands I have never had to worry about any aggressive issues...they don't understand what aggression is! :lol:
I really wish I knew how to post pictures...I have tried to follow all the instructions....but, I am very computer incompetent and I get confused....very easily.
I love the pictures of your fur baby...and you have a really cool way of displaying the pictures on the bottom of your post...how do you do that????

Guest Anonymous

Oh that was very nice of you to take in both the dobe and the rottie! Thanks for explaining it all to me! :lol: I got confused somewhere along the line at what dogs you had :oops:

[quote name='Cassie']I love the pictures of your fur baby...and you have a really cool way of displaying the pictures on the bottom of your post...how do you do that????[/quote]

Thank you! I used Paint actually... Well, in the larger one of Coal and I I had taken a picture of the trees outside while it was raining some time ago, so I took that picture and using a simple program I have I made it black and white and much lighter. Then using Paint I cut around Coal's face and stuff, and made the one of the two of us smaller and just stuck 'em over top of the trees picture and wrote on it and vwala! The one of my kittes was much easier, just took their pictures, shrunk 'em down, stuck 'em together and wrote their names under them in using Paint again :wink: Unfortantly, Cosmos will be leaving us, and Angel has already left, but i felt like their all still my kitties so they all deserve to be there :wink:

cassie, you're the bomb :) and he's one lucky dog :) dobermans are some funny dogs, one of my mutts is, i'm 99% sure, half dobie and she's the most fun, idiosnycractic, crazy dog i've ever had. she's hilarious......if you can send them to someone to put up i'd love to see pictures too :) he sounds really really cute. i love dobie mixes. i hope he continues to do well, he could not have found a better home :) good luck.

Cassie- ur an absolute angel!!! that is probably the best thing thats ever happened to that pup! u are soo sweet!! its like a deja vu from 2 years ago when we first saw poor ol' Boomer there on the streets :( bk is right-the world could certainly do with more ppl like you! :wink: kind and thoughtfull!

what a cute pup it sounds like! :D

Thanks every one...I'm going to take ellieangel up on his offer... :lol:

[quote]Cassie can you mail me pics ? I will put them up for you

I would love to see your new boy he sounds like a sweetheart [/quote]

ellieangel, if you could PM me and explain how to mail these to you,...I would be eternally grateful. I still have to take some pictures of Beau...I am so far behind modern times I don't even have a digital camera...I just get a film and then scan the pic's into my computer.... :oops: I am having difficulty adjusting to the new modern world. :lol: I'll send you pic's of all my Newf's and my Rottie and I will get some pic's of Beau as soon as I pick up a film...that is really nice of you to offer this....thank you.

Holz_Boomer, you found Boomer on the streets...how kind of you to take him in... :angel:
Marble, your dog is a dobie mix as well....boy will we have alot to discuss! I had a purebred before and she was a complete velcro dog.....she had to be touching you at all times! :lol: I can see that Beau is going to be like this as well...when I sit down he tries to get as close as possible without climbing into my skin....then he puts his head on my shoulder or lap...that is if my Rottie is in a mood to share me... :lol: my Rottie does not get aggressive to him, but, she gets very pushy and uses her body to keep him away from me by body slamming him. :lol: then she turns around and licks his mouth as if to say...sorry, I like ya lots....but, there are some things I don't share! :lol:

Marble, your dog is a dobie mix as well....boy will we have alot to discuss! I had a purebred before and she was a complete velcro dog.....she had to be touching you at all times! :lol: I can see that Beau is going to be like this as well...when I sit down he tries to get as close as possible without climbing into my skin....then he puts his head on my shoulder or lap...that is if my Rottie is in a mood to share me... :lol: my Rottie does not get aggressive to him, but, she gets very pushy and uses her body to keep him away from me by body slamming him. :lol: then she turns around and licks his mouth as if to say...sorry, I like ya lots....but, there are some things I don't share! :lol:[/quote]

cassie- yeah, my dogs a nut :) drives me crazy but she really is worth it. her most recent thing is hovering around me when she can tell i'm going to sit down and then leaping (literally) into my lap so she can sit on me...its pretty entertaining but i am working on having her sit first so i don't lose an eye or my front teeth when she slams into me...she is still growing and a bit clumsy :) she's about 20 months and pretty lanky and tall.... i'll try to post some pictures of her soon so you can see her, i personally think she's gorgeous, not biased or anything...she is also half ACD so you can imagine what kind of a monster she can be :) she has some funny traits from both breeds. another thing she does if she wants attention or is feeling sorry for herself is to yawn really really loudly and make all kinds of moaning racket......she really is the funniest dog i've ever had. i'm really glad we both survived the first eight months, it was a nightmare but definitely worth it.....

can you tell at all what he might be mixed with? how tall is he?

Ok I'll try to explain how you send 'em :-?

When you click on "new" and the box pops up for you to type out an e-mail there should be a menu at the top which will say "insert" click that and click "flie or photo" then click browse and you will be able to hunt round your computer to find the pic then click "open" and the picture will be attached,can anyone else describe it better than me :-?

Oh and BTW don't use my hotmail address it won't cope with the big files send it to my other e-mail addy......

[email][email protected][/email]