Dogomania

Continental Airlines and APBT

kendalyn

I thought this was very interesting. I found it on the continental airlines website about restrictions regarding transporting dogs. I'm not sure if other airlines have comparable rules:

Embargo of American Pit Bull Terriers (Pit Bulls, Pit Bull Terriers)
Continental Airlines will accept American Pit Bull Terrier puppies which are between 8 weeks and 6 months of age provided they do not weigh more than 20 lbs. All American Pit Bull Terriers more than 6 months old or weighing more than 20lbs. will be refused. This embargo does not apply to American Staffordshire Terriers, Bull Terriers, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, or Miniature Bull Terriers. Crossbreeds with American Pit Bull Terriers are also excluded from this embargo. The purpose of this embargo is due to the aggressiveness of the breed and the danger presented to our aircraft and our customers.

Here's the link if you want to check it out yourself: [url]http://www.continental.com/travel/policies/animals/restrictions.asp?SID=CED9C7D0A5BD4C58874CF381ED83EF87[/url]

Hmmm... looks like it is only continental out of the larger airlines. I couldn't find any other big airlines that had similar policies.

I'm surprised that it is ONLY APBT. Not even mixes are excluded. Well, it's stupid to refuse only the APBT. :evil: I don't know if I'll be flying Continental again. At least while this policy is in effect.

Guest Anonymous

Wow..... it always amazes me when i see stuff like that. i am curious as to how they plan on telling the difference... Put thier hand by the cage if it tries to rip throught the mesh then it must be a pit bull? or maybe they will just beable to look and know? I dont think that they have a means to follow through and its just one of those rules that makes them sound like a safer airline to some of the more...."media-stricken" people.

still bugs me quite a bit.

Guest Anonymous

[quote]I believe United had considered this policy at one time but got shot down from the AKC and a lot of hate mail about it.[/quote]
Maybe this is why they only say APBT and dont include the Staffie and other breeds accepted by the AKC.

I sent them an e-mail a few days ago but still havent gotten anything back.