Dogomania

How did you come up with your pups name?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm not sure if it has been posted or not, but i was just talking to StarFox online, and thought of the question.

How did you come up with the name for your dogs?

Zoey.. well we had a rottie named Alizay that had to be put down due to cancer, and hubby really wanted that name for Zoey but i said no, so we went downt he line of baby names and it was between Riley, Chloe, and Zoey.. and hubby liked Zoey best of all, good thing becuase as soon as you said Zoey the first time, her little head popped right up!

Cody... well.. blah unfortunatly His "breeder" and i use that term very lightly named him that, or the people who bought him first did.. I was gong to name him Chance, becuase he was getting a 2nd chance, then i thought Lucky, becuase he's so lucky to be alive.. but the more i thought about it, i could really call him whatever i wanted, seeing as though he's DEAF. lol but i really liked the name Cody and the resuce group was already teaching him the sign for his name. So Cody stuck!!

there is the story of Cody and Zoey!
Your turn!

I think we have done this before - but I am happy to tell again :wink:

Indy - is named after the movie character Indiana Jones. It's always been a favourite movie of mine and I just loved it when in the third movie we learn that Indy was actually the dog's name.

I have also learned this bit of trivia after the fact- The character Indiana was actually named after George Lucas's malamute Indiana and when they show you the dog in the third movie it's actually an Alaskan Malamute. I thought that was pretty cool.

Ok...kinda long story. I was watching changing rooms, *ya know the british version* anyways it was lawrence who did that zebra/red horrible room...and i loved it. but i loved the way they say Zebra in england. It's like they say it "sebra". Ok..i saw that show on a firday night and I thought "wow that would be an awsome name for a dog if i ever get one".

So the next day, saturday we had to get up early and get some hay for our rabbit, so we went to petsmart and they were having there pet adoptions that day. And of course I just had to "look" and there were all these puppy's in this big cage, and I was looking at them all and I saw this little mutt and he was soo cute and had the sadest eyes ever! and this dog just looked so sad so I asked the AC officer lady if I could see the brown/black mutt in the back and she got all excited because he was her fave dog. Well they took him out and while having a better look at him I noticed that on his right back leg he had black stripes like a zebra!! It was fate, I begged my mom untill she finaly said yes, and my dad was soo pissed at me! But I bought him w/ my own money and decided that his name would be Zebra. And that's how Zebra got his name! :P

I found Buck near a place called Buck Creek in Kentucky. It just seemed like a good name for him since he kind of looked like a little Buck with his long gangly legs :-) So at first I was thinking Buckley and then shortened it to just Buck. It's a great name, so easy to say and call him with.

I named my hamster Clover, simply because I liked the name and it seemed to fit a hamster.

I named my beta fish Clifford (cliff) because he's a big red fish. Sort of like Clifford the big red dog :-) Cliff is a great fish.

Sandy...I didn't name her, but she was white-blonde as a baby, so I assume they called her that because to them, she was "sandy" colored.
Buddy...sandy's friend...ie, her "buddy"
Gypsy...I didn't name her, but she was found in a dumpster by my aunt, so they called her gypsy. I likely would have named her Sassy, but gypsy fits her, too...she's had three homes already!
Fang...pound puppy. he is a siberian husky and looks "wolfish" by default, and I read White Fang and liked the idea of his name staying Fang, so there you go...one Fang
India...black all over, like India Ink.
Calliope...pronounced KUH LY UH PEE...the greek muse of music...as she is an american pitbull terrier, I really wanted her to have a very sweet name, not anything tough or mean sounding, and nothing that could be construed as a tough name...I never even allowed her to be nick named, so the vet calls her "the little brown dog"

I have other animals!! Ziggie is named after David Bowie--his Ziggie Stardust persona. He doesn't fit it at all...I could've named him "Move" 'cause that's what I say alot to him. Katherine is named after a vampire from LJ smith's books (katherine could turn into a white kitten...katherine is a white cat...besides that, she's kind of...spiritied)
Josie and Howie...just two names I liked (they're parakeets and I wanted them to have a playful sound attached to thier names)
I had a betta, his name was Daryl, but I ended up calling him Fishy D. McFisherton...he let me pet him and would come to the top of the tank when my alarm clock went off. Boy, I loved that fish.

I do remember something like this but with so many new members its good to do it again. :wink:

Lucky: I was 9 when we got him and my favourite toy was a little plastic dog ( a puppy in my pocket) named Lucky, so i named him after that.

Chaos: She just definately seemed to be a troublemaker, so I came up with the names Chaos and Havoc, and we decided on Chaos.

Riley: He came with the name and we liked it so we kept it.

:Dog_run:

We have always named our dogs after Peanuts characters. The last dog we had was named Linus so the kids decided if we got a girl dog this time it would be Lucy and if it was a boy we would name it Re-Run. Not many people know that Lucy and Linus had a little brother named Re-Run.

Paula & Re-Run

Laurel came with her name, so I kept it.

Freebee was an interesting story. She was advertised in the paper as a
"purebred German Shepherd" (with floppy ears!!) and my ex went to see her..and told the owner that GSD's dont have floppy ears, and she was not purebred, and she gave the dog to him for free..

Guest Anonymous

The first vacation I ever went to on my own was to New York. I was about 18. I'd always wanted to go, and so I did, and had the most fantastic time. I looooooved it and kinda got obsessed. I started thinking that If I got a dog, Girl or Boy, I'd call it Brooklyn. A few months later I got Brookie. When I brought him home, my grandma said that it was my great grandfather's (who I never met) birthday, so I gave him the middle name Frederick after my great grandfather.

Dixie

Guest Mutts4Me

Sasha came with her name. We called her "Sweetie" until one day we heard her then-owner screaming at "Sasha" to get back in her yard (like they really cared :evil: ). Mom hated the name, but didn't feel it was right to change it.

My former black lab, Bandit, used to steal things at night and pile them under the kitchen table. Socks, shoes, wash rags, toys, whatever. So his registered name was Our Midnight Bandit.

If we're doing other pets, then Spaz was named by my friend who gave her to me as a Christmas present. She deserves it, too, the crazy cat.

Blue is a Siamese and has blue eyes, so my mom named him Blue.

CryBaby... cried a lot. Still does. Cries whenever you pick him up. Cries at the water dish, cries at the litter box.

Sophie, formerly a stray cat, now ours, just looked like a Sophie to me. The first cat I've ever named :)

Scooter, her kitten, was absolutely terrified of us when he lived outside. We could watch him from the window if we were very still and quiet, but if we came outside, he would scoot away, and so my mom named him Scooter.

My fish count as my pets, and Kendalyn included Clifford, so I'll got through 3 of my male bettas, anyway.

Psychedelic shimmers a ton of different colors depending on lighting, angle, and mood. I could show you three pictures where he looks like three different fish. I call him Psych most times.

Cinnabar is a red butterfly. I wanted to name him "Sin," so I figured out a good word, and found Cinnabar meaning a brilliant red, so I got "Cin."

SoSuMi... Say it out loud, and basically it was me saying "Yeah, I did get another fish. SoSuMi." Sumi for short.

Guest Mutts4Me

Malamum, I remember the first time I saw your dog's name was Indy, and I instantly thought of the malamute laying in Dr. Jones' study/library. I guess my hunch was right :)

Holly--we got her at X-mas and since holly is an x-mas decoration..we thought it was very suitable ;)

Boomer-when we found him, he was 6 months and we couldnt BELIEVE how huge he was!!! so Boomer...reminds me of a name for something big, i guess!! u know...BOOM BOOM lol! thats an onamatopia...lol i learnt that in like grade 6..its my fave grammar thingy! :P

Let's see with Abby I just made a list of names that I liked and my family aggreed on Abby. :) Then with Cracker I was really little and she was cracker colored I thought so I named her that. :oops: :oops: Curse my parents for letting a 7 year old name thier dog. :oops: :oops: I guess ya'll can tell I now hate the name Cracker lol.

I think with Honey, when I saw her for the first time, I thought, "she's my little Honey" and it kind of stuck........and with Licorice, when I brought her home, my mother was sitting in the living room eating black licorice and she said, "she looks like a little piece of licorice." :roll: Her nickname is Licky, and that fits her, too...she LOVES to lick!

With Mee Mee, that was her name when we got her from the SPCA and we loved it!

Well for me it went like this:
I was searching for a girl puppy and when I then found a breeder she didn't have any girlies left, but they had a boy. I loved the name Benjamin, but thought it was too long so it became Ben. I allso wanted a name that was easy to spell correcly in both Finnish, Swedish and English so... Ben fit that picture perfecly! And so that's how Ben got his name.

Bella on the other hand... wow... That was hard. I again wanted a name that could be spelt again in Finnish, Swedish and English and this time it had to be a girl name. I was thinking of Trixie, Meg, Maria and many others but then... What about... Be... Be... Bel... Bella! Ben and Bella. It fits nicely doesn't it. And when I saw the pic of my baby it was like magic. Her name was going to be Bella and that's it!

So that's hoe Ben and Bella got the names Ben and Bella! ;)

Well the spanish/english dictionary :o We found 'Rio' which in spanish meant River and planned her registered name around that. Her full name is -- Sierras (mom) Rio De Oro. It means River Of Gold in spanish. So that is how Rio got her name. It was also between Arizona ( as we use to live there and have friends that tell us 'There is no Arizona' from the song :roll: ) so we were going to prove her wrong. There were a couple more that did not make it....but Rio was the one ;)

Well....
When we went to the spca, we saw duke(formerly..rooster.. :roll: ) and on his paper it said he was GS/Bull mastif/mastiff. And so my mom thought Duke was a good name becuase he was about 7 months i belive when we got him and he was about 20 inches tall so my mom thought Duke was aa good names becuase Dukes are huge men and she thought hed get soo big!!! hes grown an inch in the past 4 years.....

Guest Anonymous

I have too many to go through but each has a name given to them for specific reasons. Here are a few of my favorites...
Torrance (male)... My favorite dog name... taken from The Shining, it was their last name.
Tage (female)... Her fathers name is Rage, her mothers Virus but we call her Tabby. Put the two together and got Tage (better than the other way around, Rabby).
Snowman (m)...All white with a couple of coal spots on his rump.
Spindy (f)... As a pup she constantly ran in circles. Not to chase her tail but just to run in circles.
I could go on for hours and hours and hours....

Kavik - When I was 9 I read one of those man against nature, super loyal dog stories that had a dog named Kavik in it, loved it. Kavik is supposedly (although this is from a work of fiction) inuit for "little wolf."

Zaphod - Zaphod EatDog Beeblebrox actually. The EatDog part comes from his gastronomic habits :lol: . Zaphod Beeblebrox is a character in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - very funny book. Zaphod was a comical character who felt he was the centre of the universe and was just about the most fabulous guy in the Galaxy which really seemed to suit my pup so . . . We also considered Ford (Prefect) but thought that might be confusing and it suited him less.