Dogomania

Here we go again. :( I need help!

marebear

Because I am pressed for time, and this is so very personal, I do not want to go into all details here. However, I am looking to find a FOREVER, LOVING, CARING, GENTLE, ADORING, INSIDE home for my moms 6 month old purebred golden retriever named Chance.

My mom is ill, she should not have taken the dog in the first place, but that is neither here nor there at the moment. With her health, her 12 year old daughter recently diagnosed with bi polar disorder and their moving, they are unable to keep Chance. I cannot stress to you enough how heart breaking this is for my mom, as that dog was so very good for her and so theraputic for her mental condition, as well as good for her health and getting her up and out of bed in the morning.

Chance is up to date on all shots and has been neutred. From my understanding, he is housetrained (but I would not trust him alone yet as he is only 6 months old, lol!), crate trained and has some manners. She has been using the gentle leader on him for walks due to her low strength and carrying an oxygen tank along also. He responds wonderfully to the gentle leader. He has been around small kittens and other dogs, and has had no problems. He is a very loving, loyal dog. My mom tells me that he adores her friend, Steve, and often paces by the door for a few minutes after he leaves.....so I don't know if that is just because he is so attached to Steve or if Chance has 'seperation' issues.

Chance loves his toys and knows them quite well. He is such a beautiful guy! Chance has the 'red' coat of a golden....just gorgeous!

I may already have two people lined up to take him......one in Canada and the other near Atlanta. But even in those cases, we would have to look into transportation issues. And they would need to fill out an adoption application and so forth.......this dog is well loved and we do not want to give him to just 'anyone'. It is breaking my moms heart, and it would kill her if she ever found out Chance did not go to a loving home who has made him the center of their attention. There will be an adoption fee for Chance, but some of this could possibly be used for transportation costs depending on the situation. The fee is 'normal' in amount....and will be discussed with serious inquires as this should not be an issue when finding the perfect home for Chance.

As you can probably tell, this dog is loved and we want only the BEST for him. I know all of the 'talk' of 'a dog should never have to be rehomed', so please do not say it.......this is extremely hard on my mom. I forwarned her when she was first talking about taking Chance in that she shouldn't, but as you can see she didn't listen and now the inevitable has come. But my mom felt a connection with the dog...and she wanted to help him, as he was another one of my sisters 'prize' collections that got tossed aside literally FOUR DAYS after she brought him home at the age of 8 weeks. So, even though it was not a good situation for my mom to be getting a dog, she was doing a good deed when taking him and removing him from an unhappy situation. Life is so difficult sometimes.

If anyone has any thoughts or ideas, please feel free to let me know!!!! I am going to talk more with the other two possible homes....but need to know what questions I should ask, etc. Does anyone have an adoption application I could email them?

Thank you all for reading this and caring!!! (((((hugs))))

By the way, Chance is in SD.....

AN UPDATE AS OF TODAY:

My mom has found out who the breeder was. She does not know if my sister had a contract with the breeder...as to the dog has to go back to the breeder, etc. So, she is going to call the breeder and talk to her about the situation. I am waiting on that before I go any further. Luckily, I have had several intersted parties, so we should be able to find Chance a good home if the breeder is unable to!! The only thing with the breeder is that she keeps her dogs outside, and Chance is an inside dog. My mom does not want him to be outside like the breeders other dogs.......I am crossing my fingers that something works out. My mom can keep the dog for another week so it may be that the breeder will find the dog a home but Chance will stay with my mom until then. Thank again for everyones help and interest!!! Hopefully I will have good news soon!

Guest Anonymous

well, I am just in minnesota. Actually, I am right on the border of minnesota and north dakota, and approximately an hour from the border of ND and SD, so if you need help transporting to canada that is right north of me, i might be able to help with that. Otherwise I can always foster.

Where is the pup in SD?

Guest Anonymous

it's quite unfortunate for not only your mom, but the 12 year old also, if she has bipolar, animal therapy is supposed to be one of the best things for a person with bipolar. Does she like animals?

Thank you for your reply. :angel:

Yes, she does like animals. However, she doesn't seem to 'attach' to them, and she angers quickly if she is asked to take the dog out/feed the dog/etc and says she hates him. :(

My mom is able to keep Chance as an outside dog, but she just doesn't want to do this to him. Tonight she seemed to be thinking more about it, but I just don't think a golden would like being outside that much. I like for all dogs to be inside, lol, where they are part of the family.

The breeder is not a 'responsible' breeder, and will not be helping with the situation. So, I am going to hunker down and get to work on speaking with people interested in Chance. Wish me luck!!

Also, they live near Watertown, SD.....how far is that from you?

Guest Anonymous

awww i wish i could take in a golden. but when i mention anoher dog. HUbby gets this werid look in his face.... and looks as though he's going to pass out..

Good luck!