Dogomania

GSD Puppy, slow down exercise to combat HD?

Edgar

Hi everyone,

My best buddy (Blitz) is a little 17 week old Czech GSD. He's been a good lil guy so far but recently I've been worried about Hip Dysplasia. He hasn't shown any lameness (although he is lazy sometimes!) and he's able to run pretty fast. Although when he runs he looks more like a cat then a dog, kind of runs like a cheetah. When he walks, actually he trots, all four legs move independently (no bunny hopping) its very cute =).

I've read about 2 precautions wrt hip dysplasia

1. Regulate diet to slow down growth.

He has been gaining weight and growing pretty quick. I feed him a big bowl of kibble, cooked meat, or raw food 3 times a day. I let him take as much as he can within 10 mins and if theres something left at that point I take it away (usually there

Majies - I wish I had taken pictures a couple of months ago when one ear was floppy and the other was standing =) way too cute.

He was actually an accidental breeding. A slovakian fellow who had recently come into the country had brought his dog with him. The day he went to the vet to have his female GSD spayed the vet said he couldn't do it because she was already pregnant! So he was sort of an accidental breeding. Borderline BYB except as mentioned this was accidental, the female is now spayed.

His daddy was actually trained to be a police dog, but I'm not sure on the details. *sigh* This was before Dogomania and before I had any detailed knowledge on Shepherds.

We ran into another 4 month old shepherd the other day and I could really tell the difference. Blitz was much thicker and a little taller, his paws/forelegs are also pretty perhaps hinting at his Euro lines?

I'll post some pictures ASAP!!

Yes please post some pics soon! I just love GSD. :P

I just read a study recently done on dogs with HD and diets. It basicaly stated that HD was a genetic disease but with the help of a balanced diet cosisting of certain nutrients that low HD can be avoided by the slowing of bone growth. So the Hip sockets have more time to form and capture the head of the femur. But the MOST important thing....the dogs weight! The dog will have a much higher change of getting HD if he is overweight.

"Nutrition in the young dog is one of the most studied exogenous elements affecting the development of hip dysplasia and may have a profound influence on the development of the disease. One study noted that only 33% of dogs that were fed ad libitum developed normal hips, whereas 70% of the dogs that were fed one quarter of the same diet developed normal hips. Another study in German Shepherds showed that 63% of the dogs weighing more than the mean, developed dysplastic hips. In contrast, 37% of the dogs that weighed less than the mean developed dysplastic hips [2]. Puppies that are genotypically susceptible to canine hip dysplasia will exhibit an increased incidence and severity if placed on a high caloric diet. These studies strongly suggest that limiting caloric intake in young, growing dogs (especially the larger at risk breeds) is beneficial in preventing the development of canine hip dysplasia. "

And Regulating exersize is a MUST for a dog with HD. Short 15-20 min walks is absolutly correct. No harsh playing, no jumping allot, not allot of strenuous activity. I think if your dog is running and bunnyhops allot or falls suddenly then it might be a sign that your dog has HD (that's how we figured out that our dog had it). Just because your dog has to have limited play dosn't mean that they have to be board, walks are great for dogs (and people), toys like kongs and things that they have to work at are wonderful too. It may seem difficult to regulate exersize but it is worth it if you can keep your dog from developing HD.

Another precaution you can take is x-rays. yup Every other month have an x-ray done by a doctor who specalizes in HD. It might sounds somewhat drastic or parinoid but it's a good way to tell if they have HD.

Here is a web-site that might help you. It talks about Diagnosis, treatment, ect. [url]http://www.acarc.com/ailments/hip_dysplasia/hd_intro.html[/url]

Here is some interesting information...
Researchers at the University of Wisconsin College of Veterinary Medicine are attempting to develop a reliable method to detect hip dysplasia in puppies as young as 8 weeks. The researchers are using an ultrasound method to diagnose hip dysplasia. One of the big advantages with this technique is that it can evaluate non-bone portions of the joint such as cartilage. The current methods: interpretation of hip radiographs (x-rays) by the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals (OFA), and the Penn-Hip method of interpreting the radiographs obtained through the use of a special technique are not considered accurate for dogs less than 2 years or 6-12 months, respectively.
The new technique is showing promise, but further study needs to be done before it can be used for puppies as young as 8 weeks.

Comments from our Veterinary Staff:

Early detection of hip dysplasia would be an extremely valuable tool. Owners would know prior to purchase whether the puppy they are buying is affected by the disease. There are few things sadder than telling the owner of a 6-month old puppy that it has hip dysplasia. Breeders would know early on which puppies are affected and thus which sires and dams should not be bred again. In addition, early detection would allow for early treatment.