Dogomania

Area dogs killed by wolves

Gunny Bunny

DEC 03, 2003 THE WHITEHORSE STAR PAGE: 4

Area dogs killed by wolves

A wolf or wolves are eating pets in the Wolf Creek, Mary Lake and Cowley Creek subdivisions, a Department of Environment spokesman said this morning.

We now have reports of seven or eight dogs that have been killed in the area this winter, Dennis Senger said in an interview. And other dogs have gone missing and owners have simply not reported them.

We believe the pack may be the same pack that killed three dogs in the Wolf Creek subdivision last year.

Senger said department staff will be working with city staff through the next couple of days to place a network of snares throughout the rural subdivisions that abutt each other south of the city centre.

Warning signs will be placed along public trails and other areas where snares are set.

While there are plenty of wolf tracks in the area, it's not clear if the problem is with a lone wolf or a small pack of two or three, he said.

Pet owners, Senger added, are being asked to keep their animals inside or be well-supervised when they're outside.

He said wildlife officers believe the dog killed a couple of weeks ago - originally thought to have been fatally wounded by a pig - was probably killed by this wolf or pack of wolves.

Family mourns dog killed by wolves

by Chuck Tobin

A Whitehorse woman whose family pet of eight years was killed by wolves feels the Department of Environment should have been quicker on the draw.
Jessie Pierce says she recognizes Environment staff have their hands full. However, she also believes the circumstances now, and in the past, should have warranted a public warning earlier than it came.

• 3 weeks later...

DEC 19, 2003 THE WHITEHORSE STAR PAGE: 3

Wolves take ninth dog
snares come up empty

Tobin, Chuck
The ninth reported case of a dog killed by wolves occurred last Friday in the Mary Lake subdivision, though nothing has come to the attention of wildlife authorities since.

Residents, however, must remain vigilant for the sake of their pets and the wolves, Tony Grabowski, the Department of Environment's wildlife enforcement manager, said Thursday.

We are still asking people to keep their pets close to them, indoors or under supervision, he said in an interview.

Public cooperation is essential not only for the safety of pets, but also to minimize any need to kill wolves, he said.

The only reason the wolves are frequenting or hunting in the area of Annie Lake Road and around Mary Lake, Wolf Creek and Cowley Creek is because they've been rewarded with food a number of times, Grabowski added.

Wolves, he said, move around in their search for prey. If they return to an area but are not successful, they're less likely to be in a hurry to get back there.

Wildlife officials initially reported they suspected a lone wolf may have been responsible for killing the pet dogs. However, tracks around last Friday's kill-site suggested there were four wolves present at the time.

It may be there are two groups, a group of one and the group of four, he said.

Yukoners have to realize, however, that this is wolf country, and wolves know their way around, he said.

Grabowski explained that conservation officers are not checking the neck snares everyday for fear of contaminating the area around the snares with human scent.

They are very, highly-intelligent animals, he said. They have to be that way to make a living.

They prey on large animals the size of adult moose; you know you have to be smart to avoid being killed trying to capture that kind of prey.

He noted a report of a dog killed by wolves has come in from the Mendenhall subdivision west of Whitehorse.

He suspects it's only a matter of time before officials start receiving reports of missing pets from other communities.

The neck snares kill the wolf by choking it to death.

I agree Ellie - it is tragic but the wolves are just doing what they do - getting food and eliminating a rival dog/pack in what they consider their territory. They have lost to much habitat and game to us and are probably fairly desperate if they are living so close to man as wolves are incredibly manshy.

We have the same problem here in Atlantic Canada with Coyotes and Bob Cats...they will eat local cats and dogs...if its easy game...why not??? I have lost 3 cats to Coyotes...my fault totally...I should not have let my Cats out...ever. Animals will eat what is easy to catch, some times out side dogs and cats are much easier to hunt and kill than wild rabbits etc.

I never blame the wild animals...heck, we barely give them enough forest to live in...moving into civilized areas is much easier at times than trying to make it in the forest...what could be easier than to scavenge in our garbage...local restaurants are a great place to raid the garbage cans off, we let our fat little house hold pets run freely-what could be easier prey than that...I have also seen a larger pecentage of deer moving into our cities...people feed them, and offer a little protection from wolves and coyotes...

I feel that a person who just opens their door and allows their dog to go outside to releive itself or take it self for a walk should not have a dog in the first place. These dogs become pests to neighbors and dirty on other peoples lawns. If a person has a dog, when it has to go out side at night...put it on a leash and walk with it until it goes, or have a fully enclosed fenced in yard...most Coyotes or Wolves will not go through any extra work to get in...especially if its a big dog and may fight back...they are very wary of being injured...an injured wolf or coyote will not make it long in the wild with a wound before infection sets in...they will go for easy prey. We have coyotes hanging around the barn where I co-lease a horse, the horses are brought in at night....never left out side after dusk.

People should never get mad at wild life...get mad at humans who are ruining their natural habitats. Isnt it a crime how humans are so offended when a wild animal dares to co-habitate with us and has the nerve to eat free food (our pets). Bottom line, take care of your pets....and leave the wild life be...