Dogomania

why in the world would you breed this dog....

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

[url]http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/canispanther.htm[/url]

Canis Panther- HIGHLY aggressive, territorial, untrusting of strangers
i am willin to be that more than one of these has added to the pit bull hysteria.

sad.

Guest Anonymous

not an ugly dog.. kinda reminds me of a dobie without the points. the temperment kinda sounds like dobie too. before they got over bred and wussed up. no offence dobie owners i have had two in my life and i do love the breed... but they are major wusses now. they used to be premier guard dogs and for good reason, looks like this breed took a page from that book.

They are still mixed breed dogs being marketed as a "new "breed though.
i dont know im on the fence

I've actually thought about getting one of these guys.
So cool looking.

I wouldn't say they really look pitbullish however they are pretty muscular.
Seem to be way bigger though i.e. 130 lbs. So how they would add to "pitbull hysteria" I don't know. They are probably a rare breed only suited for specific protection type work. i.e. Guarding! Definately not a breed you take out to the dog park, unless you want a lawsuit on your hands!

Anyone here have experience with this breed?

Guest Mutts4Me

[quote name='Edgar']I wouldn't say they really look pitbullish however they are pretty muscular. Seem to be way bigger though i.e. 130 lbs. So how they would add to "pitbull hysteria" I don't know. [/quote]

Because the "pitbulls" involved in "pitbull hysteria" are not necessary APBTs. They are any dog of pitbull "type," anything that reminds people of what they think a pitbull is. These can be pits, pit mixes, or nonpit dogs. A member here had her shar-pei mistaken for a pitbull.

Presa Canarios and Dogo Argentinos can be around 100 lbs, and they're part of society's "pitbull hysteria" in the sense that if people (who didn't know better) saw them, they would probably assume them to be pitbulls. Presa Canarios have been called "pitbulls on steroids" before.

I've never seen a Canis Panther, never heard of them. But seeing that picture, I could believe someone would lump them in with pitbulls, especially with the little triangle ear crop that's popular on APBTs and Presas (as opposed to a taller Dobe crop).

1. I like the look of this dog.

2. "The rare dog" site isn't very reliable--did you look at the tens of "rare breeds" they've listed? I don't know if this breed even exists or it's just a made up mix.

3. This website has the shar-pei listed too, although they're no longer "rare dogs", and while some of their information on the breed is correct, I find this kind of advice idiotic:
[quote]The Chinese shar-Pei have ac onsiderable need for excercise, but keep them on a leash in public so they do not fight with other dogs.[/quote]
after saying (which I agree),
[quote]Good Shar-Pei lines will get along well with other dogs[/quote]
My point was: based on these contradictions which I've found when reading about my breed, I don't think this website is to be trusted with information about any breed, be it "rare" or rare.

4. And last thing, I don't get it why anyone would need a "protection dog". I don't understand why anyone would need a human-aggressive dog and live with the fear their dog would bite somebody and be PTS... so I don't get it why anyone would create a breed that is "highly aggressive."

[quote name='pei obssessed']1. I like the look of this dog.

2. "The rare dog" site isn't very reliable--did you look at the tens of "rare breeds" they've listed? I don't know if this breed even exists or it's just a made up mix.

4. And last thing, I don't get it why anyone would need a "protection dog". I don't understand why anyone would need a human-aggressive dog and live with the fear their dog would bite somebody and be PTS... so I don't get it why anyone would create a breed that is "highly aggressive."[/quote]

Its not a made up breed. I think the only people that actually breed them are "The Rock of The Ages Kennel" or something like that. Pretty sure they are the original people who combined a bunch of breeds to come up with these guys in the 70's.

As to why someone would want this breed: i.e. protecting a warehouse or some sort of property. My Czech German Shepherd's parents were full fledged working dogs. He was born on the land they protected, his daddy was also trained to be a police dog... Some dogs are made to work in some form or another while others are not.

As for Dogos and Presa both of them have bull and terrier as well as other fighting lines in their blood. Do they have differing personalities and traights? I'm sure they do but its not exactly "hysteria" lumping in into the same category.

Guest Anonymous

i dont agree with breeding a mix of dogs to get "new breeds" but i do think that is a lovely looking dog. very pretty. i admit i would seriously look in to getting one if i didnt' have any dogs. you can really see the great dane in them.

[quote]As for Dogos and Presa both of them have bull and terrier as well as other fighting lines in their blood. Do they have differing personalities and traights? I'm sure they do but its not exactly "hysteria" lumping in into the same category.[/quote]

While Presas, Dogos, etc do have some bull breed on them, they are also clearly molosser breeds. The typical (and "correct") Presa or Dogo's temperament (that of a molosser) is nothing like that of the typical and correct APBT (that of an APBT). In addition to that, Presas and Dogos, often weighing in at twice the maximum weight in the APBT breed standard, take after their molosser roots in appearance as well, more so than the bull breed side. There are tens of thousands of APBTs in the hands of idiots today, with few incidents compared to the number of dogs owned by poor owners. Yet, there are a much smaller number of Presas in the hands of bad owners, and already there has been one incident involving the breed. I think it's safe to say that the average APBT, in the hands of an idiot poses far less threat to the public than the average Presa (no, I'm not insulting the Presa breed, but I think even most owners would admit that their dogs are NOT for "casual" dog owners) in those same hands.

Guest Anonymous

[quote]This breed was developed in the USA in the 1970's by Mr. Cleotha "Scorpio" Jones, Mr. Michael Stratten, and Mr. Lucas Lopez by using the Black Great Dane, Black LAbrador, Doberman Pinscher, and Staffordshire Terrier.[/quote]

So after approximately 30 years of breeding this dog is considered a breed? Im sorry but...mutt to me. I am sick of people throwing a bunch of breeds together and claiming to "develope" a "new" breed. From the cockapoos to the bullboxer, I think its crap. And with that mix of breeds how can this so-called breed be very stable?

It is a beautiful dog. I do see how they could be mistaken as pit bulls by the unexperienced eye. If people can mistake Shar-peis, Ridgebacks, Rotties, as well as hundreds of other breeds as pits they can confuse this one as one. Really, how many people know what size APBTs are supposed to be? Weve had those picture tests on here and I would bet even people who know something about APBTs picked the wrong one a couple of times. Sounds like the dog is a threat to people and any dog resembling the APBT that causes a threat to people causes a threat to APBTs.

Personally I like this dogs looks. I can see the Great Dane jumping out for sure! I do not agree with the Temperment standard but with eduacated owners and trainers that can socialize them and control them LOL I think they could be a resonable breed.

...and yes it probably will add more horror stories to the APBT's bad rap. Which is sad ...