Dogomania

New Puppies

Boscoe13

I just got a new pup his name is Boscoe, he is an American Pitbull
very friendly dog. i have only had him 2 days, and i would like to know the best way that i can stop him from cryig at night and when i am at work, i have put him a cage/box/kennel not sure what you want to call it, in a different room than mine the first night he slept with me because i couldn't take him crying for so long and i did not want the neighbours o complain, but i dont want him to epend on me i want him to learn that sometimes he has to be alone how can i fix this problem :(

I would put his crate in your bedroom. He will feel better if he can see and hear you at night.

As for when you go to work, he will learn that you're coming back and settle down eventuall. Maybe you could talk to your neighbors and explain the situation....tell them to let you know if it bothers them or becomes a problem.

:D

Give him one of your t-shirts to sleep with. You can also use a bath towel that you have recently used and let air-dry. This will help the pup to feel secure when you are not there.

Start by putting the pup in his crate while you walk to the mail-box or while working in the yard, listen to hear when the pup is quiet and then go back in as if you have been gone all-day and praise him. Do not praise the pup till he quiets down in this instance.

As far as whining at night, you just have to bear with it and invest in some earplugs you can not give in unless you WANT a grown pit in the bed with you EVERY night.

:angel:

Guest Anonymous

sleep with the crate right next to your bed and when the pup starts whining let your arm hang over into the crate or just stick your fingers throught the side(depending on the design) and the little one can feel/ smell you and will clam down.

:D Great to hear he's starting to pick up on things. I applaud you for owning a breed that the public generally fears. It's excellent to see people willing to work with breeds with bad reps. I'd love to own an APBT one day as well.

Now that he's starting to pick up on things, it shouldn't be too difficult. Remember, whining gets him NOTHING. Contrary to what guest said, you give a little finger, he'll give a little whine everytime. It's tough love. Also, you can try working on this during the day. You can leave him in for 30 seconds. Stay around the room so he can see you and just continue on for 30 seconds. Come back and let him out (if he's whining, wait till he's done). Then try it for a minute. Work your way up with you in the same room. Then eventually start at 30 seconds with you out of the room. And so on. Also, make sure you don't make a big deal when you put him in or out. Doing this will exaggerate to him "oh no..she's leaving! ah ah! come back!"..so no big deals coming in, no big deals coming out. Not even the slightest pat on the head. Good luck!