Dogomania

Neat Husky pic on website

eric

Guest Anonymous

Yeah. Came here to go to Ottawa U and ended up staying. I live near Kemptville now.

[quote name='Holz_Boomer']very cute indeed! i always wanted a husky! my aunt has two gorgeous ones names Sisqo and Nanook!
hey, ur from Ottawa? me too! cool! where abouts?[/quote]

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, that's it. As far as I know, it happens to a number of breeds. My GSD gets it, which is how we found out. We pretty much freaked the first winter it happened. Went to the vet, who referred to it as "snow nose".

[quote name='Sanvean']Cute!

Is "snow nose" what happens to huskies in the winter when they aren't exposed to the sun and their noses lighten? In Maltese, that's called "winter nose."[/quote]

Sorry,

That was me.

[quote name='Anonymous']Yeah, that's it. As far as I know, it happens to a number of breeds. My GSD gets it, which is how we found out. We pretty much freaked the first winter it happened. Went to the vet, who referred to it as "snow nose".

[quote name='Sanvean']Cute!

Is "snow nose" what happens to huskies in the winter when they aren't exposed to the sun and their noses lighten? In Maltese, that's called "winter nose."[/quote][/quote]

Sanvean, the lack of sun is a theory but I don't know if it's actually proven. I know of someone in Queensland whose malamute gets "snow nose" but they certainly don't have any lack of sun there, even in winter. So there must be other contributing factors but I'm really not sure what.

Guest Anonymous

Oooh, I love his eyes!

[quote]very cute indeed! i always wanted a husky! my aunt has two gorgeous ones names Sisqo and Nanook! [/quote]

:lol: :lol: I swear, EVERYONE I know who has a husky has named it Nanook!
Wasn't that the name of that husky on that one show? :roll: (for the life of me I can't remember what show :oops: )

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Malamum']Sanvean, [b]the lack of sun is a theory [/b]but I don't know if it's actually proven. I know of someone in Queensland whose malamute gets "snow nose" but they certainly don't have any lack of sun there, even in winter. So there must be other contributing factors but I'm really not sure what.[/quote]

I would think that it would be just the opposite... that it would be from the sun, considering the sun usually bleaches yer hair and stuff like that.. hmm.... maybe I'll go do a little search on it, I never really knew about it before. I always thought some dogs were just born like that :oops:

Guest Anonymous

Alright, I can't stay much longer, so this is what i found on my breif search...

[url]http://www.vetinfo.com/ddepigmt.html#Depigmentation%20of%20nose[/url]
This site is pretty informational, although I couldn't finish reading all of it, I will do that later...

and this is about all else I found on it...
[quote]
[b]Why are some Siberian noses partially pink and partially black?[/b]This is called a "snow nose." The black pibkent lightens during the winter months. It goes away when there is more sunlight, as in the summer months.[/quote]

[quote][b]Why are some Siberian noses partially pink and partially black? [/b]
This is called a "snow nose", and is fairly common in the breed. A snow nose is a reddish or pink marking on a black or liver colored nose. Snow nose can disappear over warmer months and reappear over the winter months. There is nothing wrong with a snow nose, and it is perfectly acceptable in the breed. [/quote]