Dogomania

stomach trouble ??

julie45

[b]Hi, I was wondering if any one as any advise on stomch trouble I have an 7 mth old pup and the last 2 days she has had a bad tummy, she isnt eating much and has the runs terible . I have kept her on fluids and made sure she has had plenty.I wondered if may be her food might be to rich for her.Reason for this is I have had her on puppy food until now and some one said I should now try her on adult food so I have the first couple of days she seemed fine but I have to try evrey thing I can.I must say she dose seem a lot better today other wise I would have taken her to the vets. thats why I am wondering if its food trouble any advise would be great.I must admit it been a very messy few days
julie :o :oops: :oops: :P [/b]

As Michele said, when changing diets, especially with pups, you should do so VERY slowly. At 6 months we changed Miles over from puppy to adult food and we did it over the course of 2 whole weeks! We gradually increased the amount of new food while decreasing the amount of old. Gradually is the operative word.

As for your pup's stomach problems now: Miles had a stomach problem a while back and someone recommended this method. It worked perfectly! I know it sounds harsh but you should fast your pup for 24 hours. No food, no treats, no nothing except to leave water available to her. After 24 hours feed a smallish meal of white rice and boiled, skinless chicken breast. By boiling the chicken you are getting rid of most of the fats and oils and plain white rice is a good, plain starch that has binding agents (good to stop the loose poop). We had never served Miles anything but kibble before the rice and chicken, and haven't served it since, but it worked like a charm, stopped the stomach and poop problems and got his appetite back in order.

Couple questions for you:
What puppy food were you feeding her, what adult are you trying to get her onto?
What does this statement mean? "the first couple of days she seemed fine but I have to try evrey thing I can" Do you mean try everything you can in order to get her to eat?

Good luck

It certainly does sound as though the change over with food is the cause. Just mix the puppy and adult food in equal proportions, then gradually reduce the puppy food so there is more adult dog food in the fraction. While he has a jippy tummy, kaolin and morphin is good stuff and will coat his stomach.

As far as fluids go: ice cold water little and often. Dont allow free access to the water dish and don't continue to refill it.

If the problem isn't resolved in a few days and there is blood in the diarrhoea then take her to the vet to rule out a choloform infection caused by bird droppings.

I agree with everyone so far. It sounds like the food was changed to quickly, which is a very common problem. If it is still bad, then take her to the vet to rule out any forign body, or anything else like that. I know how hard it is to keep things out of puppies mouthes!!! :lol:

It could also be just a simple case of a cold, stumach upset. I know that most of the kids at my school are getting that...

Good Luck!!!