Dogomania

True story

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I was browsing on the teens section of BBC's website and found a very disturbing,yet a must for all to read, story...

"I was taken in by a chatroom perv"
Carly, 16, tells her story

I was 15, I wasn't very popular and I didn't have much of a social life. Makes me sound really sad, but I wasn't - I was just a normal teen finding it hard to fit in. And I was lonely. Then I saw an ad for a teen chatroom. It sounded perfect - no one could see me and I could be completely myself. At the beginning it was great - I had loads of friends and I just needed to log on to feel happy and totally relaxed. Then I met Ben.

"Tall, slim, gorgeous and 16"

I received an instant message from a person called Dark Knight. "Wot's ur a/s/l (age, sex, location)?" he asked. "16/female," I told him (for some reason I thought it'd sound better if I was 16). "And ur a/s/l?" I asked. But he said, "Where u from?" I told him, and then he told me he was also 16 and that he was male, enjoyed listening to R'n'B, going out with mates and playing football. "I'm tall, got dark brown spiky hair, brown eyes and I'm slim," he said. He sounded gorgeous! He was also really cool and a great laugh.

After a day or two he asked for my email address. I thought, Why not? He's nice, he has a great sense of humour and I can't believe I'm talking to someone so cool! Later on we chatted online. "Hav u got a photo? U sound like a great person". For the first time I felt really flattered by a boy, so I sent him a picture of myself at a party. "Luv the picture!" he said. "Ur really nice!" I was so pleased that he liked me. I asked for his picture but he didn't have one. It didn't bother me, though, he had a fantastic personality and I was finally having a decent conversation with a boy.

The second part of Carly's story

Ben was great. He cheered me up and was always there for me. We used to send each other emails, sometimes pages long, about our day. We talked about everything. He even asked me if I was a virgin, but I didn't mind. It just seemed a normal laddy thing to ask! And he made me laugh SO much. Of course I knew about pervs that could be lurking on the web, but I never had any suspicions about Ben. I still hadn't seen his picture, but it wasn't long before I knew I was in love with him. He was everything to me.

"Tall, slim, gorgeous and 16"

Then he sent me two photos. He was just how I expected him to be - tall, dark and gorgeous. I had the perfect boy! We arranged to meet at 4pm in the shopping centre. It was a public place so I had no doubts - I was really excited! I asked my 19-year-old cousin, Lydia, if she'd come with me for support, but more coz I wanted her to see my gorgeous boyf than because I was worried about who Ben was.

At the mall Lydia went into a shop so she could see Ben without getting in the way. He had told me to look out for a red scarf. I couldn't see him anywhere. Then I saw a flash of red. Yes! It was a red scarf. I did a double take. WHAT??!! My face started burning up and tears pricked my eyes.

The final part of Carly's story

I should have been face to face with my gorgeous Ben. Instead I was looking in horror at a middle-aged man with a beard. "Are you Carly?" he said. He was weird and shifty - he kept pushing his glasses back and pulling odd faces. "I'm Ben.... I may not be exactly what you hoped, but you always said I was great fun, and heyyyy! Thats me!" He laughed. "But what does age matter? I like young teens!... D'ya fancy going to McDonalds? My treat..."

I was so gutted. I stood there trying not to cry, no idea what to say, when Lydia appeared. "What's going on?" she said. The man looked at me, "So how about it?" I turned my eyes to my cousin. My mouth was still open in disbelief. "This is... Ben."

'Ben' began to edge away, looking flustered. "C'mon, I haven't got all day, he said" My cousin swore at him: "Get lost, you're just a dirty old man!" she yelled, before grabbing my hand and pulling me away.

"Still out there"

The next day Lydia, my parents and me went to the police. Mum and dad were furious - I just felt stupid and dejected. But the police were really good. Two officers - a man and a woman - sat me in a room, gave me a glass of water and asked me questions about where I'd met him, what was he like, and all that.

They told me to describe everything about him, but as far as I know they've never arrested him for anything - for all I know he could still be preying on teenage girls online. Perhaps he's even chatted to you. I mean, how would you know?

Now I only chat online to people I know, such as Lydia or my friend Lauren. I've moved on from 'Ben' and I'm a lot wiser for my experiences. Sometimes I think about what could have happened if Lydia hadn't been with me, but then I put it out of my mind. I'm OK, and that's what matters.

just goes to show you, never talk to anyone you dont know online.. :wink:
its me nadooshkinz by the way but i cant login for some reason!

Guest Anonymous

Oh my god... :o It goes to show you.. Never chat to someone you dont know, or at LEAST don't plan to meet them somewhere face to face.. It could have been worse then what happened to Carly!! He could have taken her or kidnapped her or something!!! :o :o

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='K']Its true it happens more than you know...there are some bad, bad people out there :x ...it's very scary and very upsetting...stay here and talk about dogs is your safest bet I say...[/quote]

I agree K. Us dog people are the safest people around! :wink:

[quote name='*Rowie-the-Pooh*'][quote name='K']Its true it happens more than you know...there are some bad, bad people out there :x ...it's very scary and very upsetting...stay here and talk about dogs is your safest bet I say...[/quote]

I agree K. Us dog people are the safest people around! :wink:[/quote]
yes stay here, you can never be too carefull Carly was very lucky her cousin was with her

That is scary....I stay away from net chatrooms, unless I feel comfortable, like in here....

The sad part is, it's gotten so bad there are actually police officers who
cruise chat rooms and websites, looking for pedophiles and perverts....
and set up dates with them, and then arrest them once they meet.

young people need to be very careful who they make dates with online...
I woulodnt advocate it at all....

:o :o