Dogomania

I Need some info on service dogs!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

My dog is going to have puppies soon and I was thinking about giving most of the puppies to puppy raisers so they could become guide dogs or some sort of service dogs. I don't really know much about it, but do the dogs have to be pure bred becuase the puppies are going to be lab/rottweiler/-german shepherd/chow mixes (both dogs were mutts). But both had pretty good temperments as puppies and even better now that they're not puppies. The only problem I have with Phoenix is she gets pretty loud when she's bored or "discovers" some new toy in the garden. :roll: :P
I live in virgina and was hoping that there's some sort of program near here, but there's no problem if we would have to take the puppies out of state.

I'm not positive but I do think that usually places that train service dogs usually have their own breeding stock and choose which puppies from those litters are suitable to begin service dog training. However, if you think these dogs have what it takes, you can have them evaluated by private companies that will test the puppies on their personality traits. The dogs could be adopted by individuals who train their own service dogs and than receive a license to have the dog as a service dog. You would have to pay for the evaluation yourself and than advertise the dogs as having been approved by that company as a good potential service dog. Just an idea for you...

However, if the company were to tell you that these dogs really would not make good service dogs, it would be unethical for you to sell them for work in that capacity. Especially if you don't know the genetic heritage of the dogs. Service dogs really do need to be very healthy.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Mutts4Me

While most, if not all, guide dog organizations use their own stock, many other service dogs come from shelters. They can be hearing dogs, mobility dogs, or medical alert dogs, plus I believe that any dog can be certified as being a therapy dog if they pass certain tests. I don't know if there are any places by you, but this place in CO is a good example of a place that rescues shelter dogs and turns them into service dogs:

[url]http://freedomservicedogs.org/[/url]

Good Luck