Dogomania

Does any one here use Yucca root?

imported_Cassie

I just have a few questions...I have been giving Yucca root to my Rottweiler for about 6 months now. My Rottie has HD and of course arthritis and inflammation. Since using the Yucca root there are no more "bad" mornings or whining...plus I am happy that is is not just masking the pain. My question is, I am currently giving her human supplement of Yucca root each capsole contains 450 mg...I have heard that too much of this herb can actually have the reverse effect and can be bad for dogs over long term use...I open a capsole and just give her a pinch in her food daily...is this too much to give her? should I perhaps buy the Sun Gold Yucca sold by Solid Gold? the Solid Gold Yucca is quite expensive compared to the human Yucca which only costs me $5.00 for a bottle which should last me for a year. She is doing so well on it, but, I am a little concerned if I am doing the right thing.

when i give human supplements to my animals, i usually just calculate the dosage down from the human recommendation. if a weight is not given and you are uncomfortable guessing, maybe you can ask the manufacturer.

for herbal supplements i usually don't fuss and assume about 165 pounds as average human body weight and calculate as follows:

dosage divided by human body weight, then multiply the result with the body weight of the pet. for example for my 13 lb cat:

recommended supplement 500 mg a day
divide by 165 = 3 mg, times 13 = 39 mg

unless i'm dealing with nutrients where toxicities or oversupplementation problems can rapidly develop (like vitamin A and D or any minerals), i prefer giving human grade stuff by a rule of thumb dosage, simply because i trust the quality more. if in doubt, talk to your vet, it's always the best thing to get a professional opinion.

Thank you for your information TDG, that is very useful. :wink:

I have tried asking the Vets I work with at the clinic...they don't have a clue about any thing holistic....the closest they come to holistic is prescribing Glucosamine/Chron. (cosequin) for joint problems etc. and they will sell omega 3 fatty acids to customers whose dogs suffer from arthritis and skin problems etc. I try not to bring up my views about food and herbs at the clinic I work at...they still practice by "old school" standards... :lol: They would probably faint if they knew I was feeding a raw diet and occasionely I feed Solid Gold Hund-n-Flocken and Millennia by solid gold... :o

Once again thank you, I will try working out the weight of my dog with the equation you have given me.