Dogomania

So proud of my wee girly

imported_Kat

Meg just amazes me, truly she does. I feel so guilty leaving her when I have to go to the Netherlands. I took her down to the park tonight in pitch blackness with fireworks going off in the distance and still she wags that tail madly and produces outstanding red-hot heelwork that I only dreamed of when I started to train. I used to envy a lot of handlers that had wonderful dogs with heelwork to die for. Now there is only one dog I idolise, and thats my Meg who puts her heart and soul into working with me. I have such an overwhelming feeling of pride in her. We are going to storm Crufts 2004!!!! :D

Sorry if it sounds like I'm gloating, but just had to share. I love my dog :angel:

Hi Ellie, we have qualified for the triathlon which consists of Obedience, Agility and Show handling (ha that will be interesting :P ). The trials for the Obedience team start next Saturday and will be finalised around mid november time I think from what I have heard. That main ring beckons and Meg and I are going to try our very best to get on that team ! :D

Best of luck and...what's your secret?

I have a wonderful working dog but he is easily distracted and it shows up in his heeling work (worse ON lead than off..What's with that?) I do work with him more off lead. He is a Keeshond and the breed is said to be easily distracted...mine's weakness is other dogs. I have done the watch me thing to death and he is great as long as no other dogs are around. I asked about this on the training thread but got no reply.

Sorry to turn your good news into a plea for advice but it sounds like you have a great working dog and I would love to know if you had to overcome anything like her being distracted and how you did it. He is a happy worker, his finishes are the swing type and he jumps up to my shoulder with no prompting-the crowd loves it! But when we start moving and he sees something of interest ourside the ring he will go wide or forget to sit or something. He never completely leaves me but looses focus. I have only had him in fun matches so far and he is home trained. He is 16 months old neutered and also does agility (which he is a natural at...I on the other hand suck at it). His long sits and downs are good...no breaks but he is still checking out all that is going on outside the ring.

Any advice on the heeling work? I must admit I'm a bit jealous. This is the first dog I have formally trained to any goal. Our score in NOvice A at the fun match was 181 1/2 out of 200. Not too stellar. :(