Dogomania

Can someone help me???

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am new here. I have a problem.
I have a dog who is part golden retriever and part lab. She gets in these "Moods" for a lack of a better term.
Like yesterday, I went inside her kennel to feed her. She was in her house. Ok, so I know not to stick my hand inside her house and drag her out. I did not do that. I talked to her in a real kind voice like I always do. Well, she did not come out. Ok, so I just left her alone, well she came out then, I was still in her kennel. I went to pet her and she snarled at me, so i talked to her kindly again. I tried to pet her and she bit me. Did not draw blood, but this concerns me. I dont want this behavior to continue.
She is only 10 months old. She has been doing this for a while. Also one time she was in the house not eating or anything. I went to pet her and she snarled at me..you know the lip thing?? So I said what is the matter sugar? i have not done anything to you, sweetheart. Trying to have a soothing voice. Finally, I just backed away and she came to me and was fine. I dont know what is going on with her. I know it is a dominence issue.
I feel like. She does not do this much with my hubby or my son. Sometimes she does.
Anyone have any ideas or opinions.??? I love this dog. I want to do everything i can to help her over this attitude. I dont want to have to get rid of her or worse....
HELP PLEASE!!!

Guest Anonymous

Hi Terri,

I'm not an animal behaviorist. Though I suggest that after you hear everyone's advice you may consider going to one in your area since they can usually get at the heart of the problem much quicker and more efficiently than any of us can.

However, I do think that if it is a dominance issue you need to assert your dominance in a non-threatening way to the dog. Maybe removing the kennel for a while may help since she seems to be quite territorial over it. Is she not housebroken -- is that why you have her in a kennel?

I am concerned about the biting as well as the fact that you have a child. It may be dangerous for your child to be alone with the dog as the dog may regard your child as an "inferior" in the pack structure. How long have you had this dog and how did you get it? If it was through a rescue situation, you may want to call them and get more history on the dog -- where it came from -- what circumstances it was under etc... plus you'll need all this information before seeking professional help.

Where are you located, I could see if my local animal behaviorist has a colleague in that area.

Has this behaviour just recently started? You mentioned she was about 10 months old. if the behaviour has just recently started then hormonal influence could be the cause, if she is approaching her first season, or in a pseudo-pregnancy.

To be honest coaxing and trying to convince her will not do any good and will just increase her determinidness to avoid you. From what you describe this sounds like an avoidance challenging behaviour, i.e she doesn't want to be involved in anything that doesn't involve her getting her own way.

Reverse psychology to start with, which may seem a little confusing so bear with me!

You mentioned that she was like this when she is in her kennel. A kennel or cage to a dog is a sacred place and their own little den/territory. If she will not come when you ask her for food/walk then she doesn't get it. Simple as that. She has to learn that there is a ranking order in your house and that she is not at the top of it. Ok so now we are at the point where you have no praise for her if she doesn't come when you ask her. she will start approaching you instead when she is getting hungry. At this stage you again ignore her and walk back to the house (if she is kept outside ) or if she is an indoor pet then walk to another room. wait a few minutes then get back to her , call her and reward her with a piece of sausage or cheese etc. thats it for the first few days.

Build it up so when you have her outside at the park or in the garden (kennel must NOT be anywhere near by), teach her a recall. Start with her in a sit on the end of her lead and tell her to wait using only that command and not her name (her name is only used when you call her). Once she has the wait, then call her (a word of advice to prevent anticipation don't always call her after you tell her to wait; go back and break off with a free command or OK). When she comes to you reward her with the tidbit but don't make a huge fuss with her. tell her she is good but don't go overboard at this stage. A good lass in a happy voice will suffice.

Continue doing this for a few days then go back to where her kennel is. Standing a distance away from the kennel, with your girly on her lead go back to revising the recall. Break her off with tidbits reward and repeat for another few days.

After about 7-10 days go back and call her from her kennel, but don't lean down to her and use smoochy voices to get her out. She is playing you when you do this and she knows fine rightly that she is the stronger player and can win by showing intimidating aggressive tendencies. idf she comes from her kennel then she gets the reward, if not, she gets nothing at all and you ignore her, not even a bad dog should be said as this is verbal rewarding in her doggy mind.

This takes perseverence and great patience, and it may not work first time off, she may still growl and not come out of her kennel. This is where you need to go back to square one.

If she is an outdoor dog then a kennel is necessary, but if she is an indoor dog then a kennel just segregates her further from the family and she feels like she has to protect her separate more foreign little piece of territory. Do away with the kennel if she is an indoor dog. Give her a blanket to lie on or if she really must have a confinement area, get a wire cage so that she can see out in all areas and you can see in likewise.

Another possibility that occurred to me is a retina defect (Retinolatrophy) mentioned in a post from yesterday I think. This is where the dog doesn't have acute vision and figures appear to loom up at the side of the dogs eyes causing the dog to naturally defend itself by snapping out of the startling situation.

keep us posted on what happens and i wish you the best of luck.

Welcome to the board also to you and your furbabe! :wink:

Guest Anonymous

I know what you mean because I got confused too, but I think when she says "she was in her house" she means that her dog considers her kennel as her "house" so ... in her post substitute everytime she says "house" to kennel and that will lead you to see that it's not an outside dog....

Hope that helps. And, Terri, please correct me if I'm wrong about it being and indoor dog.

Thanks!

Guest Anonymous

Alrighty, let me see if I can clear this up.
When I say KENNEL I mean kennel....... she sleeps outside in her kennel
and her kennel has a igloo dog house in it that she sleeps in. The kennel is a 10x10 foot square chain link fencing that is 6 ft high.. and has a tarp over the top to keep out the rain etc.
She does come in too at times. I am not putting her out in a KENNEL all day and night with no contact with me at all. I love my dog and she is more that JUST a dog to me. I love her very very much. She come in and eats popcorn and stays with us until it is time for her to go to bed. A dog that size needs to get outdoors and run and play and not be cooped up in the house all the time. I know that. Whether it be in a KENNEL, or a human home. They need exercise. In the mornings I take her food to her, pet her and let her out to run in our Fenced in yard, while I tend to the clean up detail in her kennel area and put fresh water her bowl. I give her fresh water every day, wash her bowl out each day, get up poo each day.I can't do that when she is inside HER KENNEL.
Not being inside all the time is not part of the problem. I have had dogs that were outside dogs..I loved them too, but they did not ACT this way. I have only had one dog to bite me that was when i was about maybe 8 years old. I provoked it I know that. other than that I have never been bitten by one of MY dogs until now. She did not draw blood.
I just wanted to clear that up. Everyone seemed confused.
I love my dog. When I had my dobe and she got to where she could not climb the steps to go in and outside.....I had a ramp built for her. Now is that love or what? I do what i have to do to help them. They are my family whether they are inside or outside.

Kat hit it straight on the head...this dog is guarding her "den" from you, which cannot be allowed. She doesnt do it to your husband because she considers him higher ranking than her, she considers you lower ranking and that CANNOT be allowed. Kat's suggestions were excellent. Under no circumstances are you to tolerate this behavior. Believe me, she wont let herself starve, when she gets hungry enough she'll come out willingly.
And a little bit of dominance training on the leash is an excellent idea.

Good luck!

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='TerriNC']
Not being inside all the time is not part of the problem. I have had dogs that were outside dogs..I loved them too, but they did not ACT this way. I have only had one dog to bite me that was when i was about maybe 8 years old. I provoked it I know that. other than that I have never been bitten by one of MY dogs until now. She did not draw blood.
I just wanted to clear that up. Everyone seemed confused.
I love my dog. When I had my dobe and she got to where she could not climb the steps to go in and outside.....I had a ramp built for her. Now is that love or what? I do what i have to do to help them. They are my family whether they are inside or outside.[/quote]

Maybe not being inside all the time isn't the problem but boredom could be and a lack of proper socalization. Does she get walked? Outside of just 'her' kennel and yard? It sounds like she might becoming aggressive or protective of what she precieves as 'her' and only hers kennel and house.

No one is saying you do not love your dog but no amount of love will properly socalize, train or stimulate your dog alone.

And even if the bite did not draw blood it is still a bite, and it is still a serious matter. Blood or no blood. Next time if you are not able or do not get to the bottom of this, there might be blood. Which would be totally sad for both and your baby!

Guest Anonymous

YES she gets walked outside of the yard, on a leash. Geez.

she stays outside in the yard most of the day outside of her kennel. playing and exploring and what not.. and before anyone says anything... yes I go play with her too. I am in and out all day. I even wake up inthe middle of the night turn the outside light on to check on her.
I just dont ABANDON HER ALL DAY LONG!!

Calm Down :o If we have offended you, it wasn't intentional. We just want to make sure your doing everything right with a Kenneled dog.. We wanted to make sure she was getting PLENTY of family-time, since all dogs are pack-oriented.

The issue is clearly dominance. A good trainer can help clear that right up!

Geez, yourself! You came here asking for advice and people are TRYING to help based on the information you gave them. I've not seen one reply to your posts that suggests you don't love your dog. How about trying to be a little less defensive? Take what you can use and leave the rest behind, but don't be so hateful to the people you asked for help.

Oh, and welcome, like.

Hi there and welcome to Dogo. :) Everyone's suggestions are really great. :) I was just wondering if the dog will sleep in her kennel in the winter months? I'm not trying to be rude, and I can tell u love u're dog very much, there's no need to get defensive. :) I'm just a bit concerned with this is all. :)
I hope u stick around, and no one here is trying to sound mean, I think a lot of us just don't believe in a dog living outside or sleeping outdoors. :)

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='TerriNC']YES she gets walked outside of the yard, on a leash. Geez.

she stays outside in the yard most of the day outside of her kennel. playing and exploring and what not.. and before anyone says anything... yes I go play with her too. I am in and out all day. I even wake up inthe middle of the night turn the outside light on to check on her.
I just dont ABANDON HER ALL DAY LONG!![/quote]

Geez what? I am sorry if you were offended, however just because your dog is in a kennel "most of the day" does not mean she is getting the socalizing she needs. Her breed is very family loving, and anyone (not saying yourself) who leaves a dog such as this outside too much. Maybe heading for problems, not always of course but sometimes.

Unlike many people think dogs left alone in a backyard, kennel or like wise do NOT exercise, train or socalize themselves.

I am not trying to be rude or anything of that sort with you or towards you. But I personally do not agree with dogs spending most of their time outside, away from their loved ones.

And I am also not saying you are mean or do not love your dog. I think most of us are just trying to help and show/tell you what we think could be reasons for your dog acting this way.

Guest Anonymous

[b]I am new here. I have a problem.
I have a dog who is part golden retriever and part lab. She gets in these "Moods" for a lack of a better term.
Like yesterday, I went inside her kennel to feed her. She was in her house. Ok, so I know not to stick my hand inside her house and drag her out. I did not do that. I talked to her in a real kind voice like I always do. [/b]

What type of kind voice do you talk to her in? If it is close to the praise voice you use, you might have unknowingly praised her (in her eyes). For not allowing you to get her out the doghouse, and now she thinks it's ok to act this way. I am not blaming you, as this is a common mistake. But it can be and usually is a learnt behaviour.

[b]Well, she did not come out. Ok, so I just left her alone, well she came out then, I was still in her kennel. I went to pet her and she snarled at me, so i talked to her kindly again. [/b]

Ok first of all did you try at all to get her out of her house? And how? Did she growl, bark or lunge then?

When you went to pet her and she snarled, and then you spoke kindly to her..you are rewarding her for acting aggressive towards you. Even if you do not mean to, you are encouraging this type of behaviour. By doing this she is learning that if she acts this way, she is going to get what she wants.

[b]I tried to pet her and she bit me. Did not draw blood, but this concerns me. I dont want this behavior to continue.[/b]

I am sorry to say this but again you are making this ok. You should never pet or praise a dog after a snarl, growl or bit. You have to be the boss. Don't let her bully you and train you, which she is doing.

[b]She is only 10 months old. She has been doing this for a while.[/b]

She has been biting or snarling for a while?

[b]Also one time she was in the house not eating or anything. I went to pet her and she snarled at me..you know the lip thing?? So I said what is the matter sugar? i have not done anything to you, sweetheart. Trying to have a soothing voice. Finally, I just backed away and she came to me and was fine. I dont know what is going on with her. I know it is a dominence issue.[/b]

You have to get her to a professional for a trained opinion. I think that it is as much a learnt behaviour as anything else. She has learned from praise and pets that she will get her way if she act this way. Plain and simple!

Guest Anonymous

OK everyone look, if i have come across defensive or harsh I probably have. but I did not mean to . It is just that i have had a rough couple of days. I am trying to sort it out. I called my vet. He suggested a obedience class and trainer, but she does not have any classes until March (she is the only trainer in this area) I am in tears worried over this. Forgive me if i am harsh. I am just so upset. I know that if this problem cannot be corrected the dog will have to be put down. This is my son's first dog ever!! He loves her, we all do. The trainer gave me some tips and suggestions until March which I am going to try and do.
I dont want to make anyone mad or upset withme. I am upset enough for all. I have cried for 2 days over this,but I am determined to try and do what i can to help her. I am hoping it will help, but in the mean time I would like for all of you to lend me your prayers and support. I am just so frustrated. (I guess you can tell from my post sorry) The other problem is to get my hubby and son to remember to do the suggestions also. They love her and want to help too. i just feel as if i am at the end of my rope. I have had a lousy few days. I just love her to pieces and it makes my heart sick to think that she may not over come this. But I want you to know I am trying the very very best i know how to do. It is hard. really hard. I know all of you dont mean any harm, but i just got the impression that you dont like dogs being on the outside. yes i know they are pack animals. I realize that. I do spend time with them. I am a stay at home mom. my kid is in school. That is when i can spend time with her.
which i do very much so. i see her more than i see my hubby. lol
Hubby goes to work when i am sleep comes home about 5 pm stays up until about 10 pm.....
I am with my dog more. So we do things together. we play, we go walking in the neighborhood. I will let her inside while I am on the computer and she will lay down beside me and sleep. or when we have popcorn at night she usually comes in and gets some. and then lays down and sleeps at our feet. We rub her, kiss her, love her hug her. She gets loving, When i got this dog hubby only wanted an outside dog.. but i have persuaded him to let her in with us at night so she can socialize with us. I love that part. I love having her around us. I have done all that.
that is the way i treat my animals. I love them care for them, feed them, play with them and most important spend time with them. Most days she comes in sits at the front door looks out and waits for my son to get home from school. I want her to feel she is a part of the family. Not the boss of the family, but part of it. As a matter of fact she came in tonight for a bit.
Please do not get the wrong idea that i do not socialize with my dog. or have anything to do with her....... that is far from the truth. if i go out to eat. i save her a tiny bit. Please understand my frustrations. I dont want to have to get rid of her. That thought has tore my heart up. The vet told me that., but this trainer seems to know her stuff. I am gonna give my baby every opportunity i can to correct this behavior problem.
Please again forgive me. I did not mean to upset anyone or make anyone mad or whatever. i am just having a difficult time. I am hoping that this will work, but March is such a long time off. i feel I might forget some of the tips the trainer suggested. I got to get in a habit of doing them.
I need everyone to pray for me. I need all your prayers and support.
Again i appolgize.Thanks.

PLEASE!! LISTEN TO ME!!

You have a simple dominance problem..nothing unsurmountable..where she lives in NOT important right now, altho I agree dogs should live inside,
that''s not the issue....

SHE needs to accept you as having higher rank then her...once she does, you will not have biting issues, or eating issues....

YOU need to be more alpha over her....Kat said it best. Let her not eat, if she wont come out. She wont starve herself...put her on a leadsandt her thru obedience trials...MAKE HER BEHAVE!!! She is taking advantage of you because you are letting her do so...STOP THAT RIGHT NOW...

MAKE HER SEE YOU AS ALPHA OVER HER...once you do that, she will
fall into what you want her to do...

Don't worry, Terri -- no one's offended by you or meant to offend you.

There are a lot of people here with a great amount of knowledge - and they're willing to help. For me, I've found that the suggestions I found here, especially by courtnek and kat, have been tremendously helpful.

My Oscar was starting to have some issues with Zack, the 'man' of the house. It is me that mostly trains/feeds/walks the dog, so Oscar got it in his head that he was higher ranking than Zack. Our problem didn't go far beyond maybe two growls, as Zack put him right on lead and started going through vigorous training sessions with Oscar. The puppy was soon convinced that Zack is the Alpha and we're all happy again.

I'm also about halfway through the book -- The other end of the leash -- and I think it's teaching me a lot.

But I do think a professional is needed in your situation.

I agree that you need to get this under control while the dog is young. Almost [b]any[/b] dog will try and push their luck at some point to see where they stand in the pack. By the way...my dog also sleeps in a kennel outside in our yard with a dog house in it... so no judgement here.. :wink:
When mine was only about 3 months old, I was brushing him and he let out a growl and tried to bite me/the brush. I did not put up with it for one second, grabbed him by the scruff of the neck made good eye contact and told him "NO", and then the most important thing...I continued to brush him. With a dog that is trying to assert it's will over yours I think it is very imiportant that you do not change your behaviour in response to the dog's undesired behaviour (ie aggression). They need to see that their aggression will not let them avoid something or get something they want.
If she is only being aggressive in her kennel and house then I think it is a good idea to change this up on her so that she doesn't have this place to guard. Is it possible to take the dog house out of the run for a few days? If you remove the "den" than she will not have the security that is giving her or the courage to challenge you and she will not have something to guard. I agree with using food to show you are dominant as well (as in the previous post.) Be careful to only reward her when she comes to you or when she lets you do something that used to result in bad behaviour. Do not reward her for shying away, etc.
Even though there are no formal classes for you I recommend obedience training on your own right now. Have one main trainer in the family but get everyone involved. There are alot of website and books on it. I am a fan of clicker training but any form of training will show your dominance and build even more of a bond. It also can be very fun amd rewarding. I bet your son would love teaching her a few tricks! Don't be swayed by some of the hard-nosed training methods that say not to use food rewards, etc. All the best agility trainers now a days use the clicker and food rewards followed later with toy and play rewards. Make it fun.

I doubt you have a problem that can't be resolved. Like I said most dogs will try to assert dominance at some point growing up. Perhaps your family missed some more subtle signs that she was creeping up in the rank (in her eyes) and that is why is has progressed to this degree.
It sounds like you are committed. Do NOT be afraid of her, show you you are THE LEADER (but be a benevolent one with losts of treats). :D

Good luck! Let us know how you make out.

I think that the more time you can spend with her the better. I also think that tethering would work well for you. Put her on a leash and tie it to your belt loop. Keep her with you all day while you do your house work, while you clean her kennel, while you do all the normal things in the day. Of course you should continue with your normal routine and allow for regular walks and play time but the rest of the time use the tether. This will teach her that she must always do what you say and go where you say, and you will be there to give an immediate correction for any misbehavior.

The problem with leaving her to herself to much is that you are essentially expecting her to teach herself. Through puppyhood and adolesence when the dog is learning what is and is not acceptable behavior they need constant supervision and direction. For labs/goldens this can be up to 2 years old. When left to theirselves they create their own world and reality with their own rules. Once the dog is matured and trained, leaving them outside or inside by itself is not so much of a problem.

I agree with cournek--this is NOT an impossible problem. it is very treatable and will not be cured overnight, but with patience and consistancy, everything will work out. I know this is not going to go over well with you, but from my point, the only way to completley curtail the growling from inside the kennnel is to cut out the kennel--make her an inside dog until this is over. train her a little yourself (it will work wonders!) and do some dominance issues with the food bowl. With my apbt pup, she would growl when I came near her food, and once snapped at me over a bone. I would carry her bowl and the measuring cup of kibbles over to her at meal time, place the bowl down, and pour the food into the bowl. I would put my hand over the food and spread my fingers, and not move them until she would eat from between them. I also taught her how to gently retrieve food from my hand by putting hotdog peices into my loose fist and letting her smell and lick between my fingers, then opening my fist by centimeters until she could lick it out. any teeth on my hand at all, even in accident, would make me curl my fist tight, stand up, and turn my back until she was calm again. When she was laying down, I would run my hands over her legs, examine her teeth and gums, and playfully shake her by the muzzle--ALL my dogs allow me to do this, something I originally didn't know was a very dominant thing--to clap the hand over the muzzle.

TerriNC, It must be very scary to have a beloved pet that is acting in such a manner..... but really everyone on here is giving VERY GOOD advice. I know when you are new to the forum sometimes constructive criticism can seem hard, :agrue: but really everyone is here to help. :D
I have 2 JRT's (females) and 1 Lab/Rott (female) and they all live in the house. As you can probably tell , most of us are Pro inside dogs.
I believe they need to be with their pack , not locked away from them.
Even doing this at night may make her wonder why she can't be with you all. Maybe try and get your husband to soften up on his Anti- inside stance. :wink:
The JRT's even sleep in bed with us , UNDER the COVERS :o !! Lab/Rott - Gretchen is on a nice comfy comforter right beside the bed !! :lol:
We wouldn't have it any other way !! :wink: :angel:

Guest Anonymous

hpe you get everything situatied with your dog. i dont have any other infor that the other people have posted about.. but YOU did come here for help... why are you getting all weird about what people are writing? they are just doing what they think is right for you dog and trying to help you deal with this problem...

Courtnek.. been gone all week really sick.. just saw your new status!! CONGRATS!!!!

thanks DAL...

and I apologize if I came off a little harsh...it comes from years of demoting friends/families dogs because they have goteen too "full of themselves"..if it goes too far the dog becomes a threat to the family, and feels he can have his way no matter what. Then they bite. So if it seemed like I was yelling, please forgive me. I dont want you injured in
a dominance battle with this pup....

all of the suggestions have been excellent. I would go one step further.
If your pup wont come out to eat, and guards his den like he owns it,
then simply leave his food there for 30 minutes. If he doesnt eat, take it away and dont give it back until the next feeding time. 3 feedings
later he will discover he is REALLY hungry and will back down.
Please trust me, they wont starve themselves, ever....

Food is a wonderful incentive for most dogs, so leash training with treats
should work too. You just have to make the dog understand that you WONT
take his attitude. Once he understands that, he will chill and fall in line with what you want.

I will be keeping u're dog in my thoughts and prayers. :) :angel: But like Courtnek said, this problem isn't actually that bad compared to some other dominance problems I've come in contact with. So, u can relaxe a bit. I'm sure everything will turn out fine.

I hate asking this again, but I'd really like to know what will happen to the dog in the winter months? It can get very cold at night........