Dogomania

Woo-Wooing??

Guest Mutts4Me

Guest Mutts4Me

I picked up Dog Fancy magazine the other day because there was an Akita on the cover, which meant a feature article on Akitas, and lots of adorable Akita pictures. And I love Akitas, have been obsessed with them for years, though I'll probably never have one :(

But I read the article with relish, since everything about Akitas seems perfect to me (except the high prey drive, since I'm a cat lover). They described them as more big cats (lions/tigers) than dogs, and I have dreams of working with actual Big Cats one day.

[b]Anyway,[/b] something caught my attention. It says "Although Akitas rarely bark (unless required in the course of defending their people), they vocalize often with a characterisitc 'woo-wooing' and love to carry things in their mouths. 'When you come home after a day at work, they will grab the closest thing and carry it around in their mouths while 'woo-wooing' a greeting.'"

Sasha (mutt) does this. When we come home, she woo-woo Wookie talks and pounces on the nearest bone or treat, and runs around with it, growling and wooing. So I thought that was kind of interesting. I didn't know that Akitas woo-wooed, in the first place, but that they have that specific behavior is pretty cool.

We don't know what Sasha is made up of, though we generally tell people she's a shepherd/chow mix. The idea that Sasha might have a little Akita in her would be extremely exciting for me, lol, but since I haven't seen an Akita in this area since I was a young child, I doubt it.

Gosh, I take forever to get to my point, don't I!?!

So anyway, what other breeds of dog have that woo-wooing characteristic (which we generally call "Wookie Talk")? I know both from experience and Malamum that Alaskan Malamutes do it, and now I know Akitas do it, but are there others?

Thanks!!!

Fang, my siberian husky, woo-woos. he doesn't bark, but he vocalizes, and woowoo is very expressive. sometimes, my apbt is so sweet my teeth hurt.....have you ever heard a pitbull "woo woo"? (it's pitiful sounding, but I just want to kiss her when I hear it!!!) and my german shepherd-beagle mix can actually howl. all my dogs can howl, but he does it *perfectly* and gypsy, my shih-tzu-who knows what else, roo roos.

• 17 years later...