Dogomania

very worrying lumps

jen

Shaddow (my 7 and 1/2 yr old Lurcher) has had a very small pea sized lump on his side for a while now, it never changed or altered in size, it also felt unattached to anything as you could get your fingers underneath it and move it freely. My dear Ben had similar lumps on him before he went to the rainbow bridge :cry: at the ageof 11 (due to brain tumour), his lumps were just old age fatty lumps.

Unfortunatley over a period of about 2 weeks the lump has grown quite a lot, but is still free moving, but even worse than that i have just found 2 more lumps on him that aren`t free moving :cry: one is in his thigh and the other is near the top of his rib cage. :cry:

I have made an appointment for him to see our vet for Tuesday, i`m sooooooooooo frightened. :cry: :cry:
I lost my cat called Smartie :cry: 8 yrs ago to a very rare and aggressive cancer which develops in the fat cells, he had a few opperations and lots of on-going treatment until his quality of life was not enjoyable for him anymore and he went to the rainbow bridge. :cry:

i just keep thinking "what if this is the same" oh god i just couldn`t bear the thought of loosing my darling Shaddow, i`m so worried and scared :cry:

i`m sorry i`ve rambled on quite a bit, but i`m so worried.

The good thing is Shaddow isn`t behaving any differently, or acting unwell, his appitite is still the same, he`s not drinking anymore water than normal, and has not lost any weight (in fact he`s gained a little bit).

Please wish Shaddow well and keep all paws, fingers and toes crossed for Tuesday, i`m praying as hard as i can that it`s nothing serious.
Thanks guys.

Is the lump under or near the rib cage?

if it is in this region then the lump you feel is likely a harmless fatty deposit caused by a bruise which may have originated from a harmless bump several weeks/months previous. Also if it is unattached then it is very unlikely that the lump is cancerous. Cancerous lumps are usually extremely hard and unpalpatable. The other guess would be an abscess caused by the remnants of tick mouthparts, followng a bite.

I can't see your dog and can't give you a definite diagnosis, so take her to your vet and give you and her peace of mind.

Keep us updated and good luck :wink:

It could still be ok....My ex used to get tumors like that on his back...so did his dad. They were hard and attached and couldnt be moved, but they were completely benign. The vet will do a biopsy on them and remove them. It could be nothing.....

paws and fingers crossed that all is well....

:angel:

[quote name='courtnek']It could still be ok....My ex used to get tumors like that on his back...so did his dad. They were hard and attached and couldnt be moved, but they were completely benign. The vet will do a biopsy on them and remove them. It could be nothing.....

paws and fingers crossed that all is well....

:angel:[/quote]

thanks courtnek that`s quite re`assuring :)

thanks guys , it means a lot to know people are wishing my special boy well.

My silly Foxhound has a BIG lump in her tail, but I know what caused that.
Silly dog wags her tail into doors, walls and the desk. And me. I have bruises to prove it. That tail should be considered a weapon... :lol: :lol:

Her's is caused by a broken blood vessel in the tail, swelling up, and I have an appointment to take her in and have it slashed and drained...

My Golden used to shake his ears so hard that would happen as well. even though he had no ear mites or infections, he just shook his head all the
time. The Foxhound does too....

Good luck to your pup!! Hopefully everything will be fine!!

:angel: :angel: :angel:

A while back Zebra had a small lump on his left side near his ribs. It was small at first but it got bigger and it worried me allot. So we took him to the vet and he looked at it and all it turned out to be was some pus and blood, just a small infection and all they did was drain it. No biggie but Zebra wasn't that happy. :lol:

But fingers and paws crossed here that everything goes well at the vets.

[color=red]thanks for being so caring everyone[/color], [color=blue]and thanks very very much for your support [/color]and for wishing Shaddow well on Tuesday.

I hope it`s something similar to what Zebra had.
thanks for sharing your stories it helps. :D

you guys know what it`s like though, :roll: we can`t stop worrying about our fur kids and when something like these lumps are found you always fear the worst :( (well i do anyway) :-?

i wanted to go to the vets today, but my hubby has togo into hospital today :( and i`m gong with hi so it was impossible to get to the vets today. Thats why i had to make the appointment for Tuesday :(

thanks again for wishing Shaddow well :angel:

[color=red]Mouse[/color] how are you?

[size=7][color=red]YIIIIIIIPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE[/color][/size]
AND
[size=7][color=blue]GREAT NEWS[/color][/size]

The vet examined Shaddows lumps and has said they are innocent fatty lumps that dogs can get as they get older....PHEW!!!! :D

I can`t tell you guys how relieved i am :D

Thank you so much for all your kind thoughts and good wishes for Shaddow....it looks like it`s worked :wink:

I feel such a plonka now for worrying so much :oops: :roll: , but the vet said i did the right thing having them checked out :P