Dogomania

Akita Mania!

Guest Anonymous

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...

New Akita owner here. Glad I found an active board with some fellow Akita lovers. Bear and I are inseparable. Posted some pics in my hello thread.

Had a few questions for current/former Akita owners:

How much socialization do you guys think is enough to curb dog aggressiveness in an Akita? I try to get him out there as much as possible and he has only growled at 1 other dog (My roomate's Border Collie) when the BC bit him for taking his ball (You NEVER take Gary's ball lol). He and our APBT are best friends already and all they do is run around and snort at each other. I think growing up with those 2 has helped him a lot, but I still get him out there to meet other pups.

What do you guys feed your Akita pups? He doesn't like the Science diet too much without a sweetener in it such as a broth of some sort.

Last question: Can anyone else hear their Akita fart from halfway across the house? lol

• 3 weeks later...

Science diet is crap. It is mostly corn. Read up on the web on the dangers of commercial dog food. Switch your dog to Canidae, Flint River, Solid Gold or Innova (which is what I feed). I have rescued more than 33 Akitas and should know something about what improves their health.

I currently have a one year old male Akita. I have taken him to puppy obedience to get him socialized and take him everywhere they accept a dog coming in (hair cutter's, feed shop, local library). It is CRUCIAL to socialize after 1 year of age--when they become bratty adolescents. This is when trouble accepting other dogs begins and sets a pattern for life.

I sincerely hope you have already spayed/neutered your Akita. About 450 are in shelters in US every day and most are killed there. Rescues can do very little to stem the flood of abandoned large, dominant Akitas.

Our efforts to bring well-socialized Akitas to meet the public, whether it be on the neighborhood sidewalk, the obedience class or feed/pet store really helps the breed.

J.Ringer, Idaho (and Torii the Akita):smile:

:fadein: I have an 11mo. old brown brindle. Had an Akita/gsd mix for 81/2 yrs.She took after her akita mother in personality she was so sweet,gentle,and loyal that when we lost her to congestive heart failure We couldn't imagine having anything but an akita.Mika has her own personality but all the things about Mattie I fell in love with are there.Idon't think I'll ever own another breed.