Dogomania

Tips for giving eye drops

3ofakind

Finny needs to have drops in his eyes twice a day. I can barely get them in once a day. I am having the most terrible time. He is so darn tiny he is hard to keep ahold of, plus I am afraid to hold him too strongly. He blinks at just the right moment to avoid the drops, or puts his head down. I know there has got to be a "good" way to do, I just haven't figured it out yet. Hopefully, we wont have to do this for long.

Anyone have any good tips?

can someone else hold his head? not by putting one hand on either side of the neck, but by wrapping thier arm around the neck so that the head is on one side of the elbow while the neck rests on the curve of the elbow. When the head is gripped this way, the dog should not be able to back out of the grip. The other hand should either support the body. Then you hold open the eyelid and administer the medicine. I don't know if holding the dog this way is dangerous, to either you or the dog, but I get ahold of mine this way for several things and they never seem to be affected by it. If not, go back to the vet and see if the medicine can be administered in a different dose in pill form.

To give our cats ear drops we would wrap them snuggly in a towel or blanket - wrapping them up sortof like a burrito all legs clearly inside, but tucking one end over their shoulders to more securly contain those clawed front legs. Then you tuck your little burrito under your arm, position head (and possible hold ear flap back or try to hold eye open - don't know how well that would work) with opposite hand and then administer drops with same arm that is tucking the burrito. Please keep in mind we do this as it is very hard to give drops to an insane hissing, spitting, clawing, biting bundle of "no I don't want that in my ear!" I would only use this as a last resort because it does tend to heighten my one cats anxiety although the other one seems to relax once she's bundled.