Guest Anonymous

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:o Now i is a bit confused here :o

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:roll: Is it just me or does nothing add up here :roll:

Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 6:42 pm Post subject: I have a 3.5 month old puppy.....
[b].... I got the first weekend in Sept. She was 7.5 wks. old when I got her.[/b]

Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 4:51 am Post subject: Just started clicker training...
[b]with my new Blue Lacy puppy that I bought in September. C/T Training is really incredible. The past 3 days I used a variant of "100 Things to Do With a Box". I decided I wanted Chula to sit in the box. She's 3.5 months old, a wiggly 20# ball of energy.[/b]

Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 3:14 am Post subject: More importantly.......

[b]I got my Papillon when he was 3.5 years old from a breeder that decided he wasn't cut out for the show ring (too timid). I've had him almost 4 years now. I even changed his name! If you came to my house you would never even suspect that (a) I hadn't raised him from a puppy -- he's an absolute 'velcro-dog' to me, & (b) that his name hadn't ALWAYS been 'Dandy'. So while he wasn't a 'rescue' in the strictest sense of the word, I did get him as an adult -- not a puppy[/b].

Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 4:25 pm Post subject: I'm a BYB.....

[b] & have about 1 litter a year, since I only have the 2 dogs. My dogs live inside with me & sleep on my bed. They eat high-quality food (Nutro, SD, etc.) They are up-to-date on shots & worming.[/b]

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:00 am Post subject:
[b]I was in pre-vet courses in college, then worked for a zoo. I was trained in how to give vaccines. I order my own & give my own shots (except for rabies, which is illegal in Texas -- but the pups aren't old enough for that).[/b]

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:32 pm Post subject: Help with Puppy's socialization
[b]I just picked up a new puppy Sat. She was 8 weeks old on Friday. She was raised mostly in a big enclosure (not part of a backyard) behind the owner's house with his other dogs. FYI, this is a working dog -- parents are used for hog hunting. [/b]

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 3:25 am Post subject: Thanks to everyone.....
[b]BTW, she's a Texas Blue Lacy. I had gotten one the first week in Sept. & Chula was 4 months old. Then someone took her out of my backyard (or she escaped & THEN they took her). I'm still looking for Chula, but meanwhile I HAD to have another puppy.....[/b]

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 5:11 pm Post subject:
[b]No, I mainly do it because I LOVE puppies but I don't need any more dogs! Although I do make a little money on the pups (by the way they're Shih Tzus, but pet quality). They are just sooooo cute & fluffy & cuddly -- I love them all. And my son & neices/nephews love to play with them. But I'm also glad when they go to their new homes.....[/b]

Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:33 am Post subject: Reminds me of my next door neighbors.....
[b]My brother & I have a little midnight run planned for the next time she's loose & we're both home. A little run to the local SPCA drop cage.......[/b]

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Guest Anonymous

Although (a) I REALLY don't understand someone who has time to look up all my posts --frankly I have a full time job & wouldn't go to all that trouble; (b) what makes MY posts so special that someone HAS to go looking up all that stuff anyway?? -- now I'm getting the big head because I think I must be REALLY important; & (c) while all the above posts are true -- perhaps I haven't posted MY WHOLE LIFE in the posts. So how do you expect to read between the lines?

For instance, I have EIGHT cats (all spayed/neutered thank you very much) living at my house. But technically, only FIVE are MINE -- one's my brother's, who lives with me, & 2 are my daughter's (who moved into an apt that doesn't allow cats). It's just easier when someone asks me if I have any cats to say 'Yes, 8' than go into all that explanation.

But I am very grateful to all of you for making me feel like I'm MUCH more 'worthy of discussion' than the previous 3 1/2 pages of posters. Thanks!

[quote name='happybooker1']Although (a) I REALLY don't understand someone who has time to look up all my posts --frankly I have a full time job & wouldn't go to all that trouble; (b) what makes MY posts so special that someone HAS to go looking up all that stuff anyway?? -- now I'm getting the big head because I think I must be REALLY important; & (c) while all the above posts are true -- perhaps I haven't posted MY WHOLE LIFE in the posts. So how do you expect to read between the lines?

For instance, I have EIGHT cats (all spayed/neutered thank you very much) living at my house. But technically, only FIVE are MINE -- one's my brother's, who lives with me, & 2 are my daughter's (who moved into an apt that doesn't allow cats). It's just easier when someone asks me if I have any cats to say 'Yes, 8' than go into all that explanation.

But I am very grateful to all of you for making me feel like I'm MUCH more 'worthy of discussion' than the previous 3 1/2 pages of posters. Thanks![/quote]

Your posts may well all be true :o
But i think they do not add up :lol:
As you are new here you do not realise that it takes no time at all to see all of a members posts :oops:
I too work,
dont feel REALLY IMPORTANT :roll: you took up hardly any of my time :lol:
And it was worth it.........why?......................
Because now i realise its not just me that think things dont add up :lol:
I still wonder.....How a Pappilon, and 2 blue lacys add up to 2 dogs you own and how do you make SHIH TZUS out of them??????????? :wink:

[quote] still wonder.....How a Pappilon, and 2 blue lacys add up to 2 dogs you own and how do you make SHIH TZUS out of them??????????? [/quote]
LMAO :lol: :lol:

K - dont let the beggars get you down, sounds like you've got a lot on your plate and I applaud you :D :klacz: :laola:

[quote name='K']I currently have 5 of my own kids..and the "extra" baby and 6 dogs so yes almost ful time work if you can count 24/7 as full time...I spent all day today finding a home for an 11 year old Bull that had been dumped (yes he is placed now) and I seriously dont have time for poo posting "guests" and trolls and this forum being shot to sh*t does not please me at all :x ...you'll have to excuse my honesty..I am having a bad day... :-?[/quote]

Way to go K! :D I would never be able to handle that much work! :o

Guest Anonymous

You mean you've never heard of 'genetic engineering'???!!! :)

Believe what you want, folks -- just as I would NEVER presume to know your entire household & life circumstances -- you don't know mine as I've not EVER posted my actual count of animals & how many are really MINE & how many are living at my house because my family KNOWS I'll take them in at any time to save them being dumped, etc. And if they're at my house LONG enough I start to consider them 'mine' -- although I may have to give them up at any time....

Don't identify me by a label unless you're absolutely sure that it applies.....

deb c.

[I still wonder.....How a Pappilon, and 2 blue lacys add up to 2 dogs you own and how do you make SHIH TZUS out of them??????????? :wink:[/quote]

[quote]And yet, most of you would 'look down' on me because I don't research pedigrees, the pups usually don't see a vet, and I don't do extensive background checks on prospective parents.[/quote]

[quote]No, I mainly do it because I LOVE puppies but I don't need any more dogs! Although I do make a little money on the pups (by the way they're Shih Tzus, but pet quality). They are just sooooo cute & fluffy & cuddly
[/quote]

[quote]And if they're at my house LONG enough I start to consider them 'mine' -- although I may have to give them up at any time.... [/quote]

Sorry happybooker, but you condemn yourself with your own words. People dont just assume you are a back yard breeder, you as good as admit it. Your pups dont see a vet AT ALL, you dont do background checks and you're in it for the money and the cute puppy factor (thats what you said). What the heck are people meant to assume? I take it you did 7 years of veterinary training and are a qualified vet to have determined without visiting one at all that your dogs are fit for breeding and the pups are healthy? What contract do you draw up with potential owners? What knowledge do you have of PRA and how to make sure you're not breeding dogs prone to it?

Quote from a Lhasa info site:
[quote]Both parents should be screened for luxating patella and renal dysplasia (kidney disease). Renal dysplasia is the most serious hereditary problem in Lhasa Apsos -- a DNA test for it is currently being developed. Also ask about hip dysplasia, bladder stones, allergies and skin conditions, diabetes, seizures, and heart murmurs.[/quote]

Can you tell us if these tests were performed? If so, what were the results?

Thanks

Kathy

Guest Anonymous

Sorry so late on here guys, don't visit the breeding forum usually you know :wink: Plus have been a wee bit busy lately, in fact, I really shouldn't be on here right now! :lol: :roll:

First of all...
Thanks Roo, I'm very flatered! I was actually afraid people'd get mad because i was sorta picking on this one poster, but what she said just pissed me off :evil: :drinking:

K - You are wonder woman. I've said it before, and i'll say it again! :lol:

HappyBooker - you keep declaring we are spouting out when we don't know what we're talking about because we dont' know you and all the residents at your household, and i'm sorry if we were wrongfully accusing you, so to clear this up, why don't you just EXPLAIN to us how it all works. EXPLAIN to us how you magicly got a Shih Tzu out of a Pappilion and 2 blue lacys morfed into only two dogs :o

• 2 weeks later...

[quote]Dear Back Yard Breeder

You might remember me, you must've paid a lot for me. I was from good lines, was of sound temperament, and at one point must have been a little loved by you (I remember all the things you taught me, like "sit", "stay" and the rest). I was a good girl, you even bought me a friend, another boxer like me, but a boy.

No doubt seeds were planted in your head, and soon I was expecting, and after that first litter, you just kept on breeding me. The vet knows that I have been pregnant most of my adult life, my body is ruined, my boobs hang down, and I am malnourished. I have scars on my body - some suspiciously in the shape of a boot, but I want to forget that now.

My mum says I must have been tethered ouside in the cold, as I know to have a lead put on my collar, but I have no idea how to walk on it. Mind you, the muscle wastage doesnt help with that. I didnt even know what toys were with you.

I was good to you - you raked in money as I wasted away - the vet says one more litter could have killed me. I think that would have been a blessing compared to how I lived with you. I dont understand why you did it - I couldnt help the advances of the nextdoor neighbour's dog when I was tied out, unable to escape. You said I wasn't worth it if the pups werent pedigree, so you made plans to dump me at the pound to be put down. I dont know what that means, but a lovely lady told me I didnt have to worry any more.

She took me to a kennel with my babies, and one by one they were rehomed. Another lady looked after me there, and one day she told me I was going to a new home. Home? Wasnt that where I was treated so badly?

I was wrong! It was a scarey journey over the sea and in a car to my new home. Lots of people helped take me to my new home, where I met my new mummy and daddy and their bald pups. I was poorly for a while, and I've still got a long way to go, but hey! I've learned about toys, and good food, and more than that, about love.

I hope my friend is better cared for than me now - you didnt want to hand him over did you? Was he better than me? What did I do wrong?

From

Ruby
[/quote]

An update on Ruby's story:
Well we're back from the vet. He examined Ruby's boobs and her skin and added up all her other health probs and such, and its not good news. He is certain that the lump in her boob at least is malignant, and although Mast Cell Tumours in Boxers are normally not aggressive, the fact that she has several new ones, the placing of them and her age, they are highly likely to be malignant too. Because she is tired a lot, and pants is also a very bad sign, as although her lungs sound clear, just listening can be deceptive, and these tumours normally metastisize in the lungs. Her skin infections and lowered immunity are also a big clue. The options available were to confirm it by needle aspiration, to have them ALL removed and start chemo immediately, to have chemo to TRY and shrink them then remove them, or to let her come home and spend her last weeks in peace. The middle 2 options are not available to us, as she is too high risk for sedation or GA. The first option is only going to confirm what he is certain about, and he advised that it wasnt needed. The last option is what we are going for. He asked us if she had a reasonable quality of life, and I said yes. So all we can do is make her happy and comfortable. I asked him how long we would have our baby for, and he guesstimates at 4-6 months maximum - with a lump this size and no treatment options she is highly unlikely to make it past that.

Still want to breed?? :niewiem: [img]http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/contrib/aahmed/azcrying.gif[/img]

I'd love to know how she made shitzus too :o
I mean the comment on genetic engineering makes me think that she believes she can cross two completely different breeds, with no health checks, and make something that would pass as a shitzu in order to sell it off at a higher price.
Either this person is a troll, or she should be ashamed of herself.
On another note - probably the biggest ever area of BYB-ing? Breeding greyhounds for race tracks. Ponder on that one :x :wink: :cry:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

First of all, I have this feeling we may have scared off HappyBooker... :evilbat: :-?

KathyM - I am SO sorry to hear this :cry: Lets be glad that in the end of her life she was So lucky to have had such a great mum to look after her. Yet at the same time I'm FURIATED, which I'm sure you are VERY much with the people that bred her :evil: :cry: :drinking:

Guest Anonymous

[quote]
A Breeder is not in the business of making money, they are in the business of making sure that the breed they love, does not end up in the wrong hands that could endanger the reputation, health and future of the breed.

A BYB breeder is in the business of making money and doesn't care about much of anything else except how much that litter of pups will sell for, how fast they can get rid of them, and how much will the newspaper ad cost. They will use tons of excuses as to why this, why that but what it will eventually boil down to is that they don't want to spend the money making sure that the pups they breed will be the best that they can do and that they will actually make a substantual contribution to the gene pool of that breed.

A puppy-mill doesn't care about anything, just the dollar.

:angel:[/quote]

*nods* Yep, I agree 100%.

• 1 month later...

I have a few questions for you racerchick. This is not an attack, so don't take it as one. I noticed on your site that you said Morgan was a bad mother. Why then, would you continue to breed her? ( You said she had 5 litters.) What criteria do you use to select your breeding stock? Do you screen for health problems before you breed? At what age do you breed your bitches? All the Dobie breeders I have ever known of have cropped the pups ears BEFORE they go to their new homes to ensure that it is done correctly and that the ears are tended to properly while they heal, even if that means that the pups are there a little bit longer than other breeds would be. What age do you let you your puppies go? Do you just let people pick their own pups or do ask the prospective owner what they want out of their dog ( Mellow, outgoing, etc) and then evaluate the pups disposition and then match pup to owner that way?
I am glad that you have a contract and seem to be careful of who you place pups with though. Do you also write a spay/neuter clause in as well so those people don't go off to breed and add to the shelter dog/rescue population?