Dogomania

Show Those Dobermans

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

[color=blue]I am a huge Doberman lover..My baby is a 9 months old female. Her name is Mia and her akc name is Mia De La Cour. We hope to do some further showing and by next year her next heat we will be breeding her for some puppies.[/color]

This is my Baby:
[img]http://www.angelfire.com/ct3/cute_as_a_button/images/Mia.JPG[/img]

I know there are some Dobie owners on here so hopefully they will see your post. My Mom used to breed them way back when. My sister has a male now (about 6 years old) not of my Mom's breeding. I grew up with them and know them to be great dogs. Good luck in the show ring.

(Just for fun here are some blasts from the past. I happened to have them in my computer from when I put a book together for my Mom's 60th Birthday.) :)

[img]http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/840bee2/bc/Jasper%27s+Pics/__sr_/Roxie+7+months.jpg?bcBGFl_Aax.8phXu[/img]

[img]http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/840bee2/bc/Jasper%27s+Pics/__sr_/clyde.jpg?bcBGFl_A9r5WaSe9[/img]

Sorry- The red male's name was Clyde ( he had a sister named Bonnie). He was a conformation, obedience and tracking dog. He also used to pull us kids in the sled in winter. The black and white pic is of my Mom's first dobie Roxie (black and tan female) who she got in 1961. I don't remember her that well as I was about 4 when she died.

[quote name='DobyLvr'][color=blue]I am a huge Doberman lover..My baby is a 9 months old female. Her name is Mia and her akc name is Mia De La Cour. We hope to do some further showing and by next year her next heat we will be breeding her for some puppies.[/color][/quote]

Hello and welcome DobeLvr! I have two Dobermans, Whitney and Mason. Both are doing very well in agility and Mason has been shown in conformation.....we call him the major reserve king! I am planning to neuter him in November because, as nice as he is conformationally, being an intact male is just a bit of a pain in performance events. Quite frankly, I'm more interested in the performance end and, since I never planned to breed him anyway, it's not important for him to finish a championship.

If planning to breed Mia next year you should probably go to the Doberman Pinscher Club of America's website ( [url]http://www.dpca.org/[/url] ) if you have not already done so. You can access a lot of information there. You will find out which genetic diseases are common in Dobes, something you'll want to take into account when you select a stud. You can also see which health testing required prior to breeding is outlined in the Code of Ethics. There are links to both breeder and judge's education pages that have a lot of information on breeding and how to decide if your bitch is worthy of breeding....if breeding her will be for the betterment of the breed.

[quote name='K']If she is only 9 months now even by the end of next year she will not be old enough to breed...you must plan for 2005 not 2004.....ok?[/quote]

K is absolutely right! If you check the health testing on the DPCA page, one of the most fundamental tests is having the hips/elbows x-rayed and sent to OFA (the orthopedic foundation for animals) to receive a rating prior to breeding. The OFA will not give a rating prior to the age of two. They will do a prelim rating but, since that can change, it's not good to base a breeding decision on.

I am also assuming that you will be "proving" your girl in some way prior to breeding. A conformation championship or a performance championship? Lack of a title doesn't necessarially mean that your bitch isn't breed worthy but, a title means that imparcial folks have looked at her and agreed that she is. Doberman resuce is up to it's neck in Dobes needing homes that were bred by folks who just wanted to produce one littler so that they could have one "just like" the sire or dam. An average litter is probably 5 or 6 pups but, it's not all that uncommon for a bitch to have 12. A breeder is responsible for not only finding those pups good homes but, being willing to take back any pups they produce for the rest of the pups life. If someone a breeder placed a pup with has a change in circumstance (death, divorce, etc) when the pup is 6, an ethical breeder will take the pup back in a heartbeat. They may attempt to place it in a new home but, if they're not able to, they will keep that pup for the rest of it's life. Breeding, the right way, is a huge responsibility!

Guest Anonymous

[color=blue]
Yeah i know about all the problems, with dobys and any dog, i'm going to school for all of this. I always check, and i already have a stud, i double checked with the kennel who has been breeding for over 45 years By her next heat we can breed her.

[/color][/b]

Please seriously listen to both K and Nancy B. K is right, the last thing this world needs is yet another unethical irresponsible person who breeds dogs. JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN is not a good enough reason.
You will be assisting in creating LIFE, please see to it that you weigh this decision very carefully and assist in creating the best possible living creatures you can, after all THEY have to live with any mistakes YOU make.
Please share the name of this kennel that has been breeding for 45 years. I believe Kimbertal kennel has been breeding for quite some time but I ABSOLUTELY disagree with the bulk of their breeding, raising, and selling practices.
Your LITTLE girl is 9 months old now, if she comes into heat in the next 5-6 months, she will not even be a year and a half old much less the much safer 2 year mark. Now of course part of what makes 2 years or more 'safer' is IF you then have her hips xrayed, any other genetic test that can be performed on a Dobe is done etc.
You say you ALREADY have a stud picked out? How does he compliment your little girls attributes? What if as she matures she gets too tall or too long in body or has other physical attributes that are not correct for a Dobe? How does the stud offset these flaws in her? In other words, is he strong in an area she is lacking?
I'm sure you think we are all just criticizing you without knowing you, not really the intention here. We just care a HELL of a lot about dogs and puppies and want their lives to be happy, healthy, and spent with people who love them always.

Sounds like the breeder needs to learn how to breed [color=red][b]RESPONSIBLY[/b][/color]......

sod 45 years of so called experience. Times change and back then it was all money making (still is now to a large extent but more people are breeding and considering the safety of their pet).

I would advise you from a veterinary and from a pet owners point of view to be mature and not join the thousands of other asswangs in the world that breed irresponsibly and end up endangering, jeopardising or shortening their dog's life.

Guest Anonymous

I don't ask for all this lecturing... what i do is really my own business...I don't need to be told whats right and not right and what i should or shouldn't do with my dog..I made this topic for those who wanted to talk about their dobermans and state what great dogs they are, i didn't ask for people to lecture me..

They aren't lecturing. They are giving experienced advice when it comes to breeding. Any successful breeder waits until the bitch is in age for giving pups. The body isn't completely matured until 2 years. Would you have your daughter have a baby within her first year of starting her period? I think not. We shouldn't have babies until we're 18 yrs old, when we are completely mature and go out on our own.
A two year old dog is like a 18 year old human. A one year old is like a 9 year old. Which would you think would be a better parent?

Animals that have babies to young risk losing their entire litter. A kitten had kittens when she just turned one. What happened? They all died. She didn't clean them, didn't take them out of their sacs. Did NOTHING because she was to young to understand.

Lecturing, No. Educationing, Yes

Ok K is right.......I don't know much but I have had a scout around and in the United Dobermann club code of ethics it says this......

1. Abide by the Constitution and Bylaws of the United Doberman Club and the rules of the American Working Dog Federation.
2. Keep accurate breeding records, registration papers, and pedigrees.
3. All service and sales arrangements shall be mutually agreed upon, stated in writing, and signed by all parties involved.
4. All advertising shall be honest and not in any way misrepresentative, fraudulent, or misleading.
5. Support and conduct only ethical trade practices.
6. [color=red]Maintain the best possible standards of canine health, cleanliness, and care.[/color]
7. [color=orange]Encourage the x-raying and hip certification of Dobermans for hip dysplasia and the testing of Dobermans for other common health disorders.[/color]

8. All dogs offered at stud shall not be bred prior to one (1) year of age and shall be in good health and free from communicable diseases and disqualifying genetic faults (as defined by the UDC's conformation standard). Any bitch accepted for stud service must be [color=red]at least 18 months [/color]of age, in good health, free from communicable diseases and disqualifying genetic faults.
9. No bitch shall have more than one litter per year (litter defined as two or more puppies), nor be bred prior to one and one-half years of age. She should also be in good health and free from communicable diseases and disqualifying genetic faults.
10. No stud dog will be knowingly bred to any bitch whose owner is directly or indirectly involved with any puppy broker, puppy mill, pet shop, litter lot sales or any other commercial enterprises whose business is involved in like activities.
11. [color=orange]No bitch will be bred for commercial reasons only. All bitches will be bred with the intention of that particular breeding improving the breed[/color].
12. No Dobermans will be knowingly sold to puppy brokers, pet shops, or puppy mills nor agents thereof.
13. Honestly evaluate the quality of all Dobermans sold and fairly represent that evaluation.
14. Furnish records to each buyer of current vaccinations and wormings, pedigree, and registration or transfer documents, unless written agreement is made at time of sale that papers be withheld.
15. All members shall conduct themselves at all times in such a manner as to reflect credit on the sport of purebred dogs and Dobermans in particular.

hmmm :-?

You SAY Mia is your baby, but by your response to our concerns it SOUNDS like you care more about doing whatever YOU want to do and not necessarily what is in Mia's best interest. It SOUNDS like you do not care too much about the health and happiness of your 'baby'.
Not to mention the best interest of any puppies she might have.
I won't mind one bit being wrong on this, I hope you educate yourself a great deal before you breed your BABY.
You might want to check out the Backyard Breeders/Puppymills thread.

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

[b][size=6][color=indigo]HI!

Your Mia is a Gorgeous girl! I had a black german shepherd once named Mia..I love that name.

I am currently owned by 3 Dobermans and I love the breed. Storm is black/rust 2 years old (be 3 in January) and was my first. I got Zena (4 year old w/f blue/rust) a few months ago from a friend and she has quickly settled in nicely and lastly there's the man of the house Lucas, 15 weeks old and affectionally known as "Lucifer" LOL He sometimes acts like he is possessed or something..but he is my little man.

If you would like to talk sometime I am always on yahoo messenger or email me. I love chatting with other Doberman people....[/color][/size][/b]

• 3 months later...

Hi, I just thought I'd put my two cents in. I have a one and a half year old male who I got from the breeder at about 5 months old. The breeder didn't breed til two and tests were done, but also titled the dogs. I know I wouldn't buy a dog unless the parents had had their hips tested and otherwise proven. I wouldn't want the heartache of having my dog die from some congenital flaw that was undiscovered due to irresponsible breeding.

Also, the part someone said about her not being full grown is so true. Even though Mia is big, it's amazing how much more they grow as they get closer to two years. My boy has really changed in the last six months and I know he will keep maturing physically for a while more.

What's the rush? Enjoy your dog and let her be "only dog" for a while. :D

Lex and Theo