Dogomania

Write a review for a breed you know [b]well[/b]...

sushiwelldone

When researching breeds to see what would suit our family I came across this website and found it interesting. The more reviews that are written the better a resource it will be for others. Many of you may already know about it but here is the link. Hope you find it interesting and have the time to add your two cents. :D (Remember to be honest...we don't want people encouraged to get a breed that doesn't suit them).

[url]http://www.hoflin.com/BR/BreedReviewsIndex[/url]

Guest Anonymous

Sorry to be a sore thumb, but I think this site is dumb. Each breed is different for each person. People may look at this and see how such and such breed got more ratings then another and get one of these dogs instead fo doing the research... It took me a while to find out that the Border Collie is the breed for me, and I know a lot of people who could probably not handle owning one. These people don't know much about dogs, and while looking for one if they came across this site, and though "oh, the border collie got a great review! They must be a great dog!" and don't even read the review... I duno, I think I'm blabling now, sorry, I shouldn't be on dogo right now cuz I'm very tired but I didn't get a chance to look at it much all day! :-?

hi Sushiwelldone, it's a shame your in Canada (not really) here in the UK we have what is called Discover Dogs and it is held at Crufts in March and again in November in London. There are hundreds of different breeds, the dogs are with their owners for questions/answers, stroking the dogs etc. All the breeds have seperate booths and are well catered for, it certainly is a wonderful sight. Perhaps you could find out over there with your Kennel Club if they have such an event near you. Hope this helps. :D
I am obviously biased but I have 5 Great Danes who are wonderful with children and are very much tactile people dogs and very loyal.
:wink: Good luck

Listen to these about springers....

[color=red]they are hard to train as a result of being so easily distracted and hyper. Many are dominantly aggressive. They're dirty (enjoying rolls in the mud) and can be quite a lot of hassle, generally. They're barkers. Many are submissive urinaters. They belong in the country, outside, running the fields. I'd never recommend one as a household pet. [/color]

[color=orange]English Springer Spaniels have been bred for a gorgeous appearance. Unfortunately, temperament seems to have taken a backseat in importance to many breeders. There are A LOT of bad temperaments in this breed. I would never recommend them for families with children. Dominance aggression is particularly common. Idiopathic aggression or "springer rage" is also all too common as well. [/color]

[color=blue]He wasn't very bright, though, and he had terrible health and behavior problems - severe hip dysplasia, flea allergy, "springer rage", and early onset of a cognitive dysfunction syndrome. I loved him, but I would never have another Springer.[/color]

There is a lot of good stuff too but I have never met a bad one yet :(
As for rage that is syupposed to be a cocker trait and even then very rarely and mainly in solid colours. :(

[color=darkred]That sounds sad for the Springer breed, there such lovely dogs although can be hyper at times but that is there working trait......these people seem to be trainless in everyway.
I think any breed if bought up to respect its family well will be a happy and content dog....whether Springer Spaniel or Border Collie.[/color]

ARRRG! :x
This is one review on BCs
[quote]Loyal, sweet, but [color=red]needs to live outside[/color].
Right now I have a beautiful female Border Collie. She is very smart and a great dog, but if you are thinking about getting a Border Collie then you should have a lot of property! Border Collies need to have a lot of backyard to run around in or they [color=blue]will become lazy and overweight[/color] - [color=darkblue]I have a tiny backyard and Kavik is incredible not lazy and underweight, maybe you just need to excercise your dog[/color]. [color=red]Also be prepared for the hair! Border Collies shed an incredible amount all year-round, there is no avoiding this so I would suggest that you either comb and walk the dog daily, or train it to live outdoors.[/color] - [color=darkblue]Kavik barely sheds at all, this has got to be a poor nutrition issue, and if you don't like dogs that shed the options should not be to make them live outdoors but to get a different breed![/color] [color=red]Border Collies are very compatible to live outdoors, but train them to live outside right from the beginning, if not they will refuse to stay out and spend the night scratching on the door and howling! [/color] - [color=darkblue][i]Strange the pack animal doesn't seem to like being an outside only dog[/i].[/color] Overall Border Collies make a GREAT pet and they even herd sheep, ducks and other various animals. (Once my Border Collie even herded a pack of three horses.) However you must remember they are an outside dog, and if you decide to keep them in the house be prepared to walk them every day or you will find that your Border Collie will become overweight, lazy, and you will have hair everywhere! [/quote]
Some people really p*** me off!

I think some may misunderstand the purpose of the site. These reviews are written by laymen who happen to have had personal experience with a particualr breed. I found many other sites while researching but the difference here is that these are generally non-breeders and they are not trying to promote their breed. While I concede that some of the reviews contain little information of use I did find pearls of truth in many the coincided with my own expereince with certain breeds.

I worked at a veterinarian's for 8 years and my Mother has been an all-breed professinal groomer for over 40 years ( I also worked at her shop) and I have had alot of exposure to many breeds. This made it difficult for me when choosing my own first "pure bred" dog. It was like I knew too many of the drawbacks of breeds and didn't want any of them! Prior to this Keeshond I had always had mixed breeds before from the Human Society. However, my last dog from there was a very big disappointment and I decided to try and find a dog that would be more likely to have the traits I was looking for in a family pet.

I think almost anyone knows that there is a great range of traits within every breed. There are also many similarities, however. With the rare exception it is safe to say the MOST border collies are high energy with a strong prey drive; MOST Jack Russel terriers are also high energy; MOST Bloodhounds will follow a scent...etc. I already knew most of this stuff so what I was looking for was information from people who have actually owned the breeds in question and lived with them as pets. I went in with my eyes wide open knowing that for MOST people the breed they own is the best in the world just like our kids are the cutest. That is why I was ecouraged to find a site that had some honest reviews in it.

For example, not to offend any Bichon owners, but I have found that they can be difficult to housebreak. My Mom had several that came into the grooming shop that would mess in their kennel no matter how often you exercised them and the owners admitted the dogs had a lot of accidents at home. I saw this mentioned in the breed reviews by some authors. This is not something you would find on my general information sites. I did find it mentioned again on this one...another site I find good for its honesty:

[url]http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/dogbreeds/index.html[/url]

As far as the Springer reviews go, I found far more positive than negative ones. The fact that you have never met one with an aggression problem perhaps bodes well for the breeding in your area. "Springer rage" was a well known condition while I worked at the Vet's and I did witness about 3 or 4 Springers with [b]severe[/b] behaviour problems while working there. Of course I probably encountered dozens in total and the majority were OK. The above site has this to say about the condition:

[b]Dominance/aggression.[/b] [color=blue]Some English Springer Spaniels develop a puzzling temperament disorder that can result in flare-ups of extreme dominance or aggression. It appears suddenly in an apparently normal English Springer. The cause is unknown, though some studies have suggested a link to brain seizures[/color]

We all love our own breeds but I think it is important that we recognize that no breed is without its own problems and that everyone likes different things in a dog. There are no hard fast rules but it is important to find out as much as you can about a dog before getting one. So many people buy based on looks alone. It is important that actual owners have a voice. The reader must also recognize that some reviews will be of little value due to extreme bias. As for the rating thing...I don't think it amounts to anything at all as most breeds rate 4 stars or more...it just dresses up the page. I personally didn't pay any attention to that..just what was said in some of the [b]better written [/b]reviews.

I hope some of you took the time to add your experiences with your particular breed. You never know who you might help with your information. :D

OH LOOK ANOTHER ONE!

[quote]Not the type of dog for the average household.
Border Collies are hyper and want to do things their way. If you shove her off the couch because you want to sit in her spot she'll growl at you. She's untrainable, and won't hesitate to nip or show her teeth. Once, when my mom tried to pull her off the couch, she bit at her. When you take her for walks, you get walked by her, and we have a lot of Border Collies in our neighborhood, and anytime I walk by they all start growling. Border Collies aren't the type of dog for the average household.[/quote]

UNTRAINABLE - THERE ARE FEW BREEDS THAT ARE MORE TRAINABLE!!! Kavik is so eager to please he gets stressed/sad if he doesn't think he's getting it right.

Some of those BC comments are [i]RIDICULOUS[/i] but remember...these are laymen and some I'm sure are complete idiots with a computer and internet access!

My sister and her hubby breed working border collies and I have looked after some at my place and I do like them. They are a bit too intense for me but I appreciate them for their incredible intrelligence and natural athleticism and general sweetness. Their dogs are all well socialized and work on a sheep farm as well. They have a male who has done very well in herding competitions and is also a wonderful house dog and is fabulous with my 4 year-old nephew. His only problem is that he will harrass you to throw things for him..anything..a rock..a peice of straw...anything! Of course he also knows "That'll do, Chuck!" and leave you alone. :lol: He is also gorgeous!

I hope you sumbit a review that counters some of the nonsense on there!

Yes I will have to write a review. It's not that I think that BCs are the perfect dog for everyone I just don't want to think about hosts of BCs stuck away from their people and suffering harsh corrections - the poor sensitive neurotic little beasties can't take that sort of thing.

Very informative site. I like it. Had to see what they said about the Cavalier.

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel reviews...

Most are very positive and they mention nothing I haven't heard before but...

[quote]they require a great deal of watching (like a 2 yr old child),[/quote]

Hmmmm.... I keep a closer eye on my 4 year old then I do Felix.

[quote] don't bark[/quote]

Felix won't shut up. Once he found his voice he has refused to stop using it.

[quote name='sushiwelldone']When researching breeds to see what would suit our family I came across this website and found it interesting. The more reviews that are written the better a resource it will be for others. Many of you may already know about it but here is the link. Hope you find it interesting and have the time to add your two cents. :D (Remember to be honest...we don't want people encouraged to get a breed that doesn't suit them).

[url]http://www.hoflin.com/BR/BreedReviewsIndex[/url][/quote]

oh i would have loved to make some additions but it says they aren't currently accepting anymore reviews? gosh i have a lot to say too LOLOL!