Dogomania

I made the appointment - so worried...

Aroura

Well Montie and I just got back from the vets. I took him there to weigh him, get him on the data base and make an appointment for him to be desexed. Well, in a week he's gonna go in and have his balls chopped off :o
I'm so worried, what if it goes wrong? He's only just under 2kg, so small....
Maybe I'm being an over protective mummy, but I'm just so paranoid that something might happen... he's my baby!!!
And it costs like twice as much as I expected!!! I don't know, maybe I'm crazy but I expected it to cost less than $100, I thought male dogs were really cheap to get done, especially the tiny ones? I don't know where I heard it was so cheap... maybe it was just cheap for our cats because they were done by our friend who is a vet!!! :lol:
Well I'm not too concerned about the cost of the desexing ($150), but I'm a bit concerned about how I'm going to afford the rest of it. Firstly, they reccomend blood tests, which I can't say no to because as you know, nothing but the best for my boy and I want the peice of mind. I think they're $45... but then I just remembered that he has one pesky little dew claw on one of his back legs that I want to remove I guess for convenience more than anything, and also (this could be a biggie that could break my budget) one of his incisers is broken in half and although it looks fine now it could turn bad and I don't want to risk that, so I'm going to ask for it to be removed. Does anyone have any idea how much that might cost?
God he's lucky he's so damn cute!!! I can't believe how much he's costing me - $400 to get him plus the $100 I spent travelling, $100 on a crate and $50 on a harness, training etc, now this, I'm beggining to feel very poor! :( I'm not going to be able to go on all those holidays I've been planning to visit my friends for a VERY long time!!!! It may not sound TOO much for some people, but keeping in mind I'm only a student...
The things we do for dogs eh? :-?

[quote name='Sanvean']Wow...that is quite pricy for neutering! Around here, I don't think a female is even $100.[/quote]
WHAT? :o :o :o Now I'm really mad! Do you have any idea how much Hippo was? Almost 400$!!!! Just blood tests and desexing female 10-20 kg (she was 14 kg at the time, I think). I actually heard people from Toronto that they went to country vets for the desexing because it's so darn expensive here! Well, if I didn't alreday think vets were gauging us, now I'd think it....

Yeah, I was thinking that bk, it does get a little confusing! But keeping all that in mind does anyone have any idea of approximatly how much might cost for the tooth? I'll give them a call about it anyway.
BK, the bloodwork tests are just to test the internal workings, make sure the kidneys and liver etc are healthy, have a blood count etc. Its not something that really has to be done, most tests will show up fine, but its more a peice of mind thing. :wink:

Ok, the pamphlet says they are for blood chemistry (kidneys, liver, pacreas, thyroid, parathyroid and intestinal tract) to indicate anaemia, dehydration, endocrine diseases and certain types of tumors. Complete Blook Cell Count.....
Something like that, so they can see if there are any underlieing problems before anesthetic.
This is the most expensive vet in town, I'm taking him there because of just that, I'm so fussy about these things, I can hardly afford it but for some reason I just wont go for anything less... even though the other vets are just as good :-?
Should I get quotes from the other vets? I know one down the road is good, should I take him there and see what they say about costs? Lily went to the expensive one, I was happy with their service, we got a phone call in the middle of the day to let us know she was going great, then the day after we picked her up they rang to ask how "silly lily" was going :lol:
Quality and price don't neccissarrilly go hand in hand though, do they? Maybe I should at least check the other one out (they desexed my sisters rat without problems, so I guess they could do a dog?), I'm just so fussy about this!
I really am worried about him, what if he can't handle the anesthetic? :(

whoa, I'm just a country bumpkin...but bloodwork? for de-sexing? why? is this just another part of the vet-check up? are they testing for heartworms or whatnot? 'cause blood tests are only nine bucks a peice here...of course they take and charge you for seperate samples, but if the dog's having surgery, my vet doesn't even charge you for the bloodwork at all. when my first pup got parvo, one vet that I liked said it would be $200 just to diagnose, and could easily run up to $600 for treatment--IF he survived. hmmmmmmmmmm. I called the vet that had worked on my kitties when I was a little girl and had spayed my first dog...he charged me thirty five dollars and my pup came through fine...some vets rake it in hand over fist, and I think it's cause they know people will pay the prices they ask.

$9?!! Yeah, some vets do rake up the bill, our other vet (I take the animals to different vets depending on what they need done to them, I know I should stick with only one, but some of them cost less, but I'm not keen to have them do major surgery...) is also a very good vet. This one isn't the cheapest vet in town, but they are very good so I rang them up to get some quotes this morning and it looks like I can get it all done there for less than $200... so I made an appointment and am cancelling the other. I trust them there, plus I always drop in there when I walk past with the dogs to weigh them, so they know me there.
Its still going to be next monday, and I told her how worried I was, but like I said before, they did my sisters rat without worries so they should be able to do Montie!
I'm actually glad I made the decision to get him done now, he's begining to mark in the house again for some reason, he did ON MY BED last night when I was about to go to bed, so I wasn't too happy that I had to change all my sheets when I was dead tired and just wanted to pass out!!! Also, he's showing some pretty severe aggression problems, he hasn't bitten anyone yet, but when ever any of the big dogs or my brother goes near him he goes mental, he's ok outside but is very territorial of the house. I'm hoping desexing will help with that :-?

:o Aurora, I had 2 female JRT's spayed, and I think that's a little more involved than neutering... and I paid $65 a piece.
I had a country Vet do it because he was more reasonable being that his practice is right on his premises . I looked into several of the city Vets in larger practices and they all wanted over $120 !! A piece !! :o

Aroura - I don't think your vet is ripping you off in regards to the bloodwork.

When we had Indy done were told the same thing as you and I'm sure it cost about around $40.00. They explained the reason for it to me at the time and it made sense but I'm a bit embarrased that I now can't remember what they said :oops:

Though it was not routine for young dogs where I worked, serum blood testing (chemistry) was a precaution my vet would take with older dogs before going under general anesthetic. The anesthetic puts stress on the kidneys and liver especially. Because it is quite rare for a young dog to have problems in these areas they are not routinely tested but different vets would have different policies on this. The CBC (complete blood count) tests for infection and inflammatory processes which also could cause problems for surgery. So it is just a personal choice if you are worried about complications. I personally think the chances of a healthy young dog having these problems is rare enough not to warrant the testing but we all have our level of risk that we are comfortable with.
Hope this helps.

When we had Miles neutered a few months ago we were given the option of pre-op bloodwork for an additional $30. We were told that it was to test the function of various organs and it would indicate if Miles would have a problem with the anaestesia. We said yes simply because we were too scared that something would happen if we said no (that's how they get you!).
Keep in mind that our place is a full service veterinary hospital (24 hour ER, surgery, oncology, dermatology, allergy, etc.) Expensive but great care.

My vet charges $260 for a neuter (american). This includes the bloodwork you speak of. It is important as a precaution to make sure they are healthy enought to go under without any risks, especially if it is their first time going under. When I looked at the bill when Stewie was neutered, the acutal neuter was only like $34, the bloodwork, anesthesia, post op care and meds etc is what made it a total of $260. Also, the older anesthesias are much cheaper, but the newer kinds are more expensive. The newer ones are much safer especially for the smaller pets, less chance of overdose and complications.

I know I pay alot for vet care but to me it is worth it. My vets do a fantastic job. No stitches and very little recovery time for both Mary and Stewie. Only the best medications and techniques are used. I do believe you get what you pay for. If you are worried something will go wrong, I dont think I would looking for the cheapest vet, that will only increase the chances.

My [i]city[/i] vet charges between, I think as low as $35 to $95 for male desexing. (Canadian ) This does not include pre-surgery bloodwork which is optional. He is big on spay/neuter so he does it cheap, he is also an excellent vet, unfortunately he is away doing speaking engagements more and more.

1 Canadian Dollar = 0.64977 Euro
1 Euro (EUR) = 1.53902 Canadian Dollar (CAD)

1 Canadian Dollar = 1.08761 Australian Dollar
1 Australian Dollar (AUD) = 0.91945 Canadian Dollar (CAD)

1 Canadian Dollar = 0.76705 US Dollar
1 US Dollar (USD) = 1.30370 Canadian Dollar (CAD)

The below is the price of a Canine castration at the clinic I work at. For the pre-op blood work it is an additional $48.00...we are not an over priced clinic..just normal and competitive for Eastern Canada - Maritime provinces. There is also the HST tax on top of these prices which is 15%.
Canine Castration
Small (under 10kg) $121.00
Med (10

Thanks all :wink:
Well the expensive one I was going to take him to do have a fairly good reputation, and it is the "main" vet in town - situated right next to Maccas... the rest are in little streets etc. The staff are friendly and knowledgable, but I do think that they are alot in it for the money - not only are they more expensive but they'll try to grab extra money off you left right and centre (yes, including trying to get you to buy their over priced science diet rubbish). So I came to the conclusion that they cost more because they can charge more (being a fancier clinic with more vets etc and a dog grooming place out the back) but it doesn't mean they're better.
The vet he's going to now doesn't even sell pet foods unless you order them in (I'm going to ask about The Missing Link) and they care alot about thier work. So price doesn't always mean better, I only just realised that after ages of being paranoid!
Also, I know he's healthy, he's only a year old and always full of energy. If it was one of our older dogs I'd get the blood work done, but I don't particulary think he needs it.
I don't know how I'm going to go, waiting at home all day for him... I'll get so worried and miss him so much! :o

Your little boy will be fine... try to relax, i know it's hard (I was stressed when Lily got spayed :oops: :roll: :D ). It'll all be good!

BK only goes to the vet once a year for checkup and shots, he's never had to go in for any other reason (touch wood!). The consults are reasonably priced and the care is excellent (not to mention the very cute Irish vet!). 8)

Mmm, cute irish vet bk, is he married? :wink: :lol:
I'm assuming Cryptorchid is when their balls umm, aren't decended? No, he's fine in that department, and very proud of it!!! :lol:
I'm trying to spoil him as much as possible before hand, so that he forgives me after for removing his man hood! :lol: