Dogomania

scare of my life...

courtnek

OH MY GOD!!!

the police just showed up at my door, saying that someone had called
them about Laurel....THAT SHE HAD BEEN STOLEN FROM THEM!!!

I was in tears, brought out all the paperwork....showed them the adoption
certificates, etc...these people STILL said she was theirs...

AND I COULDNT CONTACT HER FOSTER MOM... the phone just rang and rang, and then I got the answering machine...they took Laurel and kept
her at the pound until I could reach the foster mom...she came down (almost an hours drive) with the paperwork from the hunt club, showing she had been turned over to the rescue society...and she told me this is not uncommon
with hounds....people claim them as theirs, and then sell them to
testing labs...something about hounds being excellent test subjects for new
drugs and such....I now have copies of all of the foster mom's paperwork
here....but she also warned me of the possibility of Laurel being stolen from my yard....I heard Freebee go all ballistic earlier, and Laurel baying,
but since they do that all the time I didnt think anything of it. NOW I WILL....

The gate to my fence is locked, and can only be opened from the inside,
so if they tried originally to steal her it apparently didnt work....

I AM SO PISSED OFF RIGHT NOW....

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Guest Anonymous

:o :o :o :eek2:
Omg! I would be scared too! How horrible! It's a good thing his foster mom was nice enough to drive all that way to help you two out! What is this world comming to where your own dog in your backyard isn't even safe anymore??! :o :cry:

Guest Anonymous

That is horrifying! :o

You must have been beside yourself!

I hope that the police at least give those creeps a good scare for trying to scam your dog off you! They should pay for this!

Now you have to keep watchful eye on her. Isn't that annoying? :x Laurel is not even safe in your own backyard! :x I had no idea that hounds made better testing subjects over other breeds..... :-? That's sad.

Thank dog you were able to resolve this. Thank god Laurel's foster mom was able to drive down.... :o

i DIDNT KNOW IT EITHER!!! Or I might have been more vigilant...

The police said the "so-called wronged owners" said that they were wrong, Laurel was mistaken for their dog, but the foster-mom said this is a
common excuse...if they get the dog, their gone..if not, they back off saying they were "mistaken"...so the police cant do a whole lot..they said they will watch this particular couple now, since they believe they are tied to other dog-nappings as well, There have been a number of reports of "missing" dogs lately...it seems they go to places where the dogs are fairly new there, and claim them as their own...they have fake paperwork
"proving" their ownership...once the dog is released to them, no one checks up afterwards...the foster mom is a Godsend for driving all the way down here to prove my case. She hugged Laurel and played with her for a long time...and if I hadnt insisted, she might have been released to them...

I want to catch them trying to steal one of my dogs...THEY **WILL** REGRET IT....with a bullet in their knees....

Oh god if that ever happened to my I dunno what I would do! I'm glad everythings fine, and what is the world coming to you can't ever leave your dogs in the yard alone!!! Those poor dogs and owners whose dogs have been stolen from them, I know how it feels to have a dog stolen from you its a horrible feeling of helplessness.

Damn those people :evil:

Guest Mutts4Me

I'm so glad everything's okay!

You know, if it had been an honest mistake, I think the people would have had the courtesy to come to you first, instead of going right to the authorities.

After Sasha's owners took her to the pound, and we rescued her, we were really afraid that there would be a huge ordeal with them getting p!ssed off and trying to reclaim her out of spite (heck, they knew we liked her, so if they had any goodwill, they could've offered her to us before dumping her off as a "stray"). There was a bit of tension for a while, but eventually they stopped caring, and now they're gone.

But geez, that's a scary situation. I mean, all in all, how can you ever prove a dog's really yours, unless you get it chipped or tattooed as a puppy?

Sigh. But I'm glad everything's okay. Stay safe, Laurel!

Oh how horrible!! I can't belive these people!!! :evil: :x Thank goodness that the foster mom came down! I can't belive that the police took her away even though you had the papers to prove that she was yours! Stupid police! Poor Laurel...I hope she isn't tramatized because she had to go to the pound. :( Give her a big hug for me.

Guest Anonymous

Dang! That p*ssed me off just reading it, courtnek! I'm glad things worked out the way they did.

What really gets me, aside from the obvious scam, is that (if I'm understanding correctly) the the authorities were perfectly willing to haul your dog away if you couldn't [u]prove[/u] she was [b]yours[/b]. What ever happened to burden of proof (theirs) and that whole possession being 9/10ths of the law thing? Many, many years ago, I had a Rottie stolen from me by someone I knew. I knew right where the dog was and who had her, had her vet records, documentation, yadda, blah, and so forth, proving she was mine. Well, everything except a freaking tatoo (microchipping wasn't available at that time). According to the law, since the dog was actually in their possession, she was now THEIRS. That's what gets me about your whole situation. The law was willing to take your dog from your custody because of what someone SAID? Maybe I'm understanding it all wrong. They didn't think to get verified proof of who these people were making this claim before just showing up?? That alone may have been enough of a deterrent for them, or at the least would have enabled some recourse if worst had come to worst.

Anyway, I'm so glad that things worked out. How scary that had to be! I can't tell you how relieved I am for you. I knew that Beagles were frequently used as test subjects, but I didn't know it was also hounds in general.

HF

[quote]BAD BAD BAD people....what a thing to go around putting other people through ...they should be ashamed of themselves but they probably are not ...I sincerely hope for Karma to see to these people before Courtnek gets them...
[/quote]

you got THAT right........ :evilbat: :evilbat:

They had phony papers. Phony AKC registration with their name on it.
You can download them from the internet and then put whatever ou want on there.....

All I had was the paper saying I adopted her. They told the police she
was stolen.....