Dogomania

A bike ride with Nostalgia

Angelboddy

I am soooooo proud of Nostalgia! :D

Just recently I got a bike so I could bike ride places.

Well, a few years ago, when I lived in Arizona I would bike ride every where with her when she was a pup.
And she did great, she would stay right by my side the whole time.

Then before I moved here my bike got stolen so I never got another one til now. :D

It's been a few years since she has seen a bike and I would have thought she would have forgot about it.............but not Nostalgia! :lol:
When I brought my new bike home, she just freaked out and was going nuts. :o
So I went on my first bike ride with her today.
She loved every minite of it. :angel:

I was kinda scared so I only went around the block to see how she did, and to my surprise..............she did great. :D

She stayed right by my side the whole time and stayed on the inside of me.
There was a few times where she had to stop and sniff the grass but she caught right back up.
She never forgot how to be a good dog on bike rides. :P
I am so very proud of her. :D

I am going to start taking her on longer bikes rides little by little.
Til she gets the hang of it again. :)

But I never realized how much she really enjoyed bike rides with me, I guess I better start taking her for more bike rides now. :roll: :D

Is she on a leash or running free? I couldnt let mine run free, they would take off at the first thing they smelled that seemed interesting....

I see alot of people around here riding bikes with their dogs trotting along,
but I would be scared mine would take off...Good for you!! the exercise is good for both of you!!

:D

Guest Anonymous

That's great to hear! I would love to take Coal for bike rides, but he's too little yet. I use to take Hazel all the time nd it was a lot of fun, even got her all the equipment for Bikejoring which she really enjoyed too! :D

Thanks courtnek. :D

She was off leash, thats why I only went around the block. :D
I wanted to see how she did.
And since there is not much cars around here I felt better about it.

She has always been very good about staying right by my side, even if we go for walks. So I was not to worried about it
I was mostly worried about how she would keep up. :lol:

But we did great and got our exercise and when we got home.........we both had a cookie. :oops:

I made doggie cookies and oatmeal cookies for us last night........so we had to try them. :oops: :lol:

Malamum, I used to take the dogs out running beside me on bike often (only the 3 small dogs), Casey and Joey could do about 1 mile on the road (me holding a 6 ft leash and them beside me) at a fast trot/run. There were days though that I would get up and take Annie to a nearby park, 4-6 miles each way (about 1/2 of that on pavement), depending on exactly which route we took. I took about a month to work her up to longer distances, taking her out for a run every day and increasing in distance, but she handled those runs with no problems at all. When we first started, her pads did wear a little, as did her nails, but I just watched to make sure they didn't wear to the point of bleeding, and they toughened (or shortened in the case of her nails) up as she got used to it. I would stop about once every mile, and check each of her feet/legs for any scrapes or cuts though, just to be safe. While we were on the haul road (a road that was blocked off, so had no cars except for the occasional off-roader who came through a trail through the woods), I'd let her off leash, and while she had the option of running in the grass beside the road (sometimes I even tried to "make" her run in there :roll: ), she preferred to stay out on the road, so it couldn't have bee uncomfortable for her.

If you're looking to try biking with your guy, I would start off with short distances, him going at a trot for most of it (a trot will cause less wear on the pads, simply because the dog isn't thrusting as hard with each stride as when they run), and see how quickly his pads adapt to the new exercise. If he seems to be getting used to it, increase either speed or distance, if not, maybe look into one of those pad toughening sprays. I've also noticed that their nails seem to wear less on "regular" road, with a heavier grain texture, than on sidewalks, where the texture is almost "sandy".

[quote]now if they'll run alongside the car I'd be okay.
[/quote]

YOU AND ME BOTH!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wracked both my knees in a car accident in 1999....my right leg was broken in three places and the cartilage in both knees is shot...so riding is not an option. It took me almost 2 years to be able to walk long distances,
and while I do ride a little I cant go far....maybe as the cartilage heals I will someday be able to ride again, who knows???

I would love to be able to take the dogs out running with a horse, which my knees could handle ok....

for anyone who asks....the accident was caused by a muffler and tailpipe
which had broken off a car. I was on the expressway, doing 65 miles an hour when i clipped it. I was veering left to avoid it and clipped it with my
right front tire....it lifted up and tore my linkage to the steering wheel.
By the time I realized I couldnt steer, it was too late. I was heading
straight for a cement dividing wall between lanes. I hit the brakes, but also hit the wall and totaled the whole front end of my car. The engine was
pushed into the driving compartment and smashed both my knees and
broke my leg....no fun at ALL....

anyway, that's why I cant ride a bike....