Dogomania

submissive or maniplative?

pei obssessed

ok, I'm curious about something, guys... Whenever one of us is preparing Hippo's liver treats, or getting her bowl on the counter to mix some kind of unusual food (she usually gets kibble), she wil start showing us all the tricks she knows--she lays down, sits, shakes a paw... We don't give in to that--that is, we always wait for her to get up before asking that she lays down to get the treat :lol: But I'm curious: is she showing submission (begging us to feed her), or trying to manipulate us?

Guest Anonymous

What your precious Pei is showing you is that she has learned that there is a connection between these behaviours and getting a treat.

I train my dog with the clicker and use food rewards. He too will "offer" behaviours when I either take to long to give him a command when we are training or when there are really good treats to be had and he isn't getting any. Offering behaviours is a natural side effect (and apparently a desired one) with clicker training. If you've ever known anyone who has border collies that do agility or other complicated work their owners will probably tell you there dogs will sometimes "anticipate" what they want instead of waiting for a command.

So brag away about how clever your pup is! I know I sure do. :wink:

Oh yeah..one other thing-if it really bothers you when she does this just train her to recognize a command that will turn her "trick-switch" off- Something like "enough" of "that'll do". You want her to recognize the difference between offering the behaviours on her own and performing them when given a command. Sounds like she shouldn't take too long to catch on. Good luck!

Indy does exactly the same thing.

He has even started doing it to strangers at our obedience classes. He has figured out by now that everyone wears treat pouches (that his head is level with them may have something to do with it) and when ever someone comes over to pat him he sits, then drops, gives his paw for them to shake and if they don't give him a treat he starts to woo woo at them :roll:

Nope shes not being manipulative in the slightest. Paw raising, laying down and adopting a stationary position are all signs of submission showing that she respects you and knows that as you are in charge of the food, she is willing to submit to get share. Lower ranking wolves commonly raise a paw (our equivalent of teaching a dog how to give a paw...ever wonder where that came from since so many dogs do it?) to their alpha. It is thought that it shows a submissive posture as the dog is then on 3 legs and not in a position to start a dispute.

Are dogs not the neatest things!!!! :lol: :lol:
That is so cute pei obssessed, and as sushiwelldone stated your baby is not being submissive or manipulative.
I actually took one day to teach my Newfoundland to sit whenever he sees his food or a treat, he was a kennel dog before I got him and never lived in a house so he was not well behaved!! :o I did this to keep him from being too excited and jumping all over me...he is a big Newf....any way, the next weekend the breeder (who still legally owns him) took him to a dog show in the conformation ring and every time she pulled out the bait her sat...she was really really mad at me!!! My Rottie also before getting a snack or dinner will sit, then lay down then sit again...I was warned about doing the same procedure over and over by my obedience traininer as they will do the whole routine and then its hard to get them out of it.
You Hippo sounds like a happy little fellow who is eager to please...you would have fun with him in obedience trials.

By the way sushiwelldone, your posts were sushiwellsaid!!!!

[quote name='Cassie']You Hippo sounds like a happy little fellow who is eager to please...you would have fun with him in obedience trials.[/quote]
compete? us??????????!!!!! Hippo isn't that eager to please actually, as much as she loves food :lol: So if there are a lot of treats involved in obedience trials, she might do ok :evilbat: Otherwise, slim chance :D