Dogomania

I THINK we're getting a dog!!!!!:)

imported_nea

Australian Shepherds are great dogs. All you would have to do is tell the breeder EXACTLY what you are looking for in a pup. Tell them you live in an Apartment so you want a dog that likes to be active WHEN NECESSARY, but also has an "off switch". (Meaning that it can settle down and be a "couch warmer" too.)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

I would not suggest a BC with any small animals, they may not kill but they will herd or harrass them and may be too rough. Anyone know how Aussies would be with the GPs.

Well I would imagine that the GPs aren't running loose. That said, ANY dog could cause them harm, or at the very least harass them if not taught differently. IMO it is MUCH easier to teach a very willing breed to leave them alone than say a breed that is more "hard headed". I don't have any problems with my hearding breeds and small critters that they are told not to mess with.

I hear you loud and clear when you say you want a big dog as a 'childhood' dog, don't we all? :wink:
I always wanted a big dog when I was younger, which is when I decided I wanted a boxer or a bull terrier or something of the like. Well I got my Boxer, but can say for sure they wouldn't be the best apartment dogs, BUT they would be better apartment dogs than probably any of the herding breeds.... and personally I don't think a cattle dog would be a better suited apartment dog than a BC, alot of cattle dogs, without plenty of room to run etc, turn their excess energy into aggression and there are more cattle dog attacks here each year than any other breed. Not that I don't like cattle dogs, I love them, Tessa is part cattle dog, but I just don't think they are a great apartment dog.
Could you handle alot of slobber? I think a Neopolitin Mastiff would be a great only dog! If you can find one, that is :wink:
Might not match your other requirements though, how about a retired grey hound? They usually teach them to be good around small pets before rehoming them. Great Danes are good dogs, and adapt well to apartment life. Springer Spaniels are beautiful dogs, and are good learners.

Guest Anonymous

YAY!!! i am soo happy for you!!! WOOHOO!!! good luck!! if you like herding dogs Aussies can work in apts. i am on a ausie board and a lot of them live in apartments and dont have problems! they get out and walk the dogs everyday and exercise them and it sounds like what ever dog you end up with will get plenty of excersie!

goodluck!

I wouldn't recommend an australian cattle dog (acd, blue or red heeler as they are also called) for an apartment. Mine would go insane if he was inside all day- and I'd feel bad leaving him in too- he LOVES being outside and able prance around doing what we call "important dog business". :roll: :lol:
Black GSD, I would say ACDs are one of the most stubborn breeds out there!! Or maybe they make 'em different where you are. :lol:
Also ACDs have a high prey drive, you would have to do some work on making sure the guinea pigs didn't end up becoming breakfast. :wink: Aroura really said it for me- these dogs have brains and energy in spades and if you don't create fun for them they'll create their own... :evilbat:
I don't think I would recommend a BC either to be honest. They are really tough dogs that are born to work 12 hours a day and are quite similar to the ACD in that they are smart and energetic and need stuff to do otherwise suffer the consequences. But I suppose it depends on just how much time you are willing to put into looking after one. Perhaps it can be done! :)

check out [url]http://www.petnet.com.au/dogselectapet.html-[/url] it's a handy little tool in helping you understand what may be a good dog for your situation. :)

Thanks! :)
I checked out almost all the aussie breeders in Sweden, and none of them seem to have puppies until 2004. I really don't want to wait that long. Somday I want an Austrailian Shepard, but its not the only breed I like and my mom might let me get a dog now, before I have a week off school. So I guess I'll be getting a lab, or other retreiver type dog. I'm looking at adds now, to see what I find. Thank you all for the help! :)

Labs can be ok in an apartment providing they get enough exercise every day.....but the exercise is all important - or they will chew...A better apartment dog if you want a retriever type is a Golden. They are calmer,
and although they need exercise as well they are less destructive then Labs if they dont get it. I lived in two apartments with a Golden and he did fine. However, on the down side you have to deal with the hair.

I would suggest, if you can get it, a Golden Lab. They are becoming more popular nowadays, they have short hair with the temperament of a Golden, and that might be perfect. They end up BIG, but they are gentle as well.

This is NOT a "real" breed, although the resuce societies are trying to
perfect them and make them one for rescue work. I had one (I miss him terribly) and I can say he would have been a good apartment dog...

The Canaan seems nice Aroura! :) I doubt I'd be able to find one here though. :( A corgi would be nice, but they're too small. :)
A Golden Lab would be nice. It seems like a great combintation! :) One thing I just thought of, would a dog with a short coat like a lab or something be cold in the winter? It can get pretty cold here somtimes, but not that often. could clothers solve that problem?

[quote]One thing I just thought of, would a dog with a short coat like a lab or something be cold in the winter? It can get pretty cold here somtimes, but not that often. could clothers solve that problem?[/quote]

A Lab would be cold if you left it out all day. but since you would mainly have it as a house dog it shouldn't be a problem. I have a Rottwieller and many of my friends have Lab's we walk them on the coldest winter days...it doesnt bother them...and I live in the Northern part of Canada, we have very cold winters. :lol:

My advice to you would be, make a list of different breeds you are interested in...call different reputable breeders ( I say reputable as they will not lead you astray and tell you their breed is good in any environment!) there are all sorts of variations in all breeds...for instance a friend of mine breeds hunting Lab's...these dogs where breed for hunting not for show...they are as hyper as a dog can get and would not make a good house dog...a few people I know breed Lab's for show, and they make wonderful house dogs...
As far as I know border Collies are not recognized as a breed by the AKC or CKC due to the fact that the breeders of BC's do not want their working dogs ruined...once they are breed for show and not for working ability they loose some of their natural abilities (border collies usually show the "eye" once they show the "eye" they do not make good pets) but, then again that depends on where you get your border collie, if its from good working lines it will not make a good house pet.
So, then again it depends greatly on the breeder as there are all kinds of breeds which do not have many of their true characteristics...talk to a good breeder, a good breeder will ask you more questions about the living conditions their pups would be exposed to and will tell you if their breed is suitable or not...a good breeder is not some one just trying to make a quick buck and put their pups in any home.
I have 4 Newfoundland dogs, 2 of them are much too hyper...and they are mature, I can't seem to wear them out and they play out side and tear though my home at night when I am home with them..they have almost knocked over my fish tank a few times and they try to chase my cats!!! the other 2 Newf's are typical of the Newf they are more content to just lay at my feet and laze around the house. So even within one breed I see different variations in my dogs...2 of them come from the same breeding and they are hyper...the other 2 come from different breedings and they are lazy!!!

They do don't they Nea. I'd really like to own one some day, I've fallen in love with Papillons and can see myself in ten years time living in a house full of the little darlings, but I will always have a big dog and think my next big dog may very well be a Canaan :wink:

No they are not recognized by the Canadian Kennel club. They do feature the breed in the Dogs in Canada magazine...but, they are still not recognized as a breed. At least you cannot show them in a conformation dog show here..you can compete in agility with a Border Collie.
The last I had heard (and believe me I am not up to date on every thing :wink: ) People who work their sheep with border collies waged a campaign against the registration of their breed by the AKC...because showing eye is a genetic trait, it can be selected against, and if border collies are going to be bred for shows and as pets, breeders are going to have to get rid of the eye.

Labs are ok in the winter - I'm in Chicago area, it gets really cold here too. You need to leave their coat a little bit oily to ward off winter weather, like snow and ice, but as long as they're not outside all day they're fine in the winter.

here's what their coat should like for the best water protection...

[img]http://thumbs.webshots.com/s/thumb4/7/8/1/80370801HXUjXf_th.jpg[/img]

Do you seriously want a border collie? I'm sorry, its after 4am, I've been out at the pub all night and my brain seriously isn't even close to working state!!! :lol:
I've never actually owned a border collie, but there are ALOT in the pound, and there is a good reason for that - people get them without knowing what they are taking on. I can see you realise the responsibility of such an energetic dogs, but I still wouldn't reccomend it, especially as a first time apartment dog. Hmmm, I wish I could give you a great suggestion instead of a Border Collie. Aside from the shredding it could do, you've also got to look at the barking it most likely will do also. If you have a Guinea Pig (is it a guinea pig? Cant remember right now!) I would strongly reccommend you dont' do any herding, our kelpie cross had a natural herding instinct strong enough that it killed our rabbits when they escaped, not intentionally, but accidently scared them to death while trying to herd them back into their hutch. Another kelpie/border collie cross that visited here one day killed one of our guinea pigs before we even realised they were in the yard together. You have to be very careful with herding dogs, they can be trained to get along with other pets, but you do have to get over their instincts first.
I know you have your heart set on a Border Collie, but let me just suggest that there are alot more suitable breeds out there also in need of a home :wink:

No No No .... another herding dog ..... the Belgian Tervuren, Belgian Sheepdog, Belgian Malinois and Belgian Laekenois.

Nea, you have to stay away from the "herding" breeds or "sporting" breeds and even "working" breeds for that matter ....... they simply are made for apartment living as much as you want a big dog or bigger dog ...... it would be cruel to do that to a dog that has a high energy and activity level.

Before you decide to get a BC look here.

[url]http://www.bcrescue.org/[/url]
[url]http://www.bcrescue.org/book/index.html[/url]

I'm sure there are rescue sites for any breed. Check a couple rescue sites for any breed you may be interested in. They should have plenty of info on what that specific breed requires, pay attention to any common reasons for surrender. Also once you choose a breed you will already have a good source to find a dog for adoption.

My mom has made it clear that she wants a dog that will be able to settle down some. From what I know of Tahoe, who is a border collie, that won't really be that much. And Tahoe is an outdoor dog (well, she is supposed to be. She can open the door though :evilbat: ) so she runs lots. I guess I really WILL have to wait... :( Oh well. Thanks for the help though! :) Even if I cna't do it I'm glad I found out stuff about it, so I won't go thinking that I could have maybe gotten one..

Are you sure a trevuren wouldn't work? I'd be giving pretty much exercise, and stuff. The breeder I contacted seems really good, the price isn't outrageous, but its a real breeder who seems good. From what I've found out about the breed, it seems really nice too. I read somehwere on internet today that they often get along well with other small pets. And that they're playful and smart. And they have a coat that needs grooming! I LOVE grooming dogs! :lol: :) [/i]

I couldn't find a good rescue page for the BT (strange because usually rescue sites are awsome for explaining about the breed and the needs and what makes a good home for their breed) but here is a fairly good reference:
[url]http://www.redtaildesign.com/sprite/breed/[/url]
Search out more and maybe email some rescue groups directly for more info.

Hi there, I don't usually reccomend a Keeshond for people because of their coats..but after reading how much you like to groom dogs..a Kees would certainly give you ample opportunity! You can look under my post in the forum entitled "Anyone want to start our own dog review?" I have listed some of the pros and cons of the breed. They may not be as big as you are looking for...18 inches and about 35-40 pounds. The amount of grooming they require has kept the breed from becoming overly popular (which is a good thing asfar as health is concerned-they have very few health issues) but the breeder I got Jasper from said that almost everyone he knows who gets a Kees stays with the breed for life. He has a lot of repeat customers. I know I couldn't be happier with mine. He is doing well in agility and obedience and my sister thinks he would make an excellent flyball dog but I'm not ready for that yet!

Here are a few links for more info (the first 2 deal with questions about the breed and the last is a link to a woman who does a lot of dog sports with her Kees') There is even a message board dedicated to Kees in Agility (agilikees) as they are getting popular as agility dogs in the US.

[url]http://www.catalina-inter.net/Cari-On/faq.html[/url]
[url]http://www.k9web.com/dog-faqs/breeds/keeshonden.html[/url]
[url]http://www.akc.org/registration/ilp/ilp_superstars.cfm?page=2[/url]

Good luck in your search!

Well, I have a kind of urgent question now. I just got a phone call from someone with a puppy. AmStaff Pit Bull mix. I have always thought that they seem like nice breeds. I don't know if I am suited to one though. PLEASE advise me!!! The person I talked to seemed nice (except for calling at 10.30! Didn't bother me, but it did bother my mom :lol: ) He said he would like to keep contact with the puppy to make sure she is happy. I asked if the parents have had all the health tests, and they have. So I think the person seems ok. He said the puppy, who is 10 weeks old, is really nice and cute and friendly and all. Has all shots and stuff except for one which she will get in 2 weeks. Of course before I'd say yes to buying her, I'd have to meet the puppy, mom dog, and person. But what I'm wondering about now is if you think I could handle a dog of that mix.

Hmmmm, personally I think u could handle a dog like that. :) U do realise though that pitties can be dog aggressive, so u have to be prepared if that turns out to be the case. I say look into the the breeder first, let some more people answer here, then make u're decision. Is u're mom okay with this? :)

Good luck........... :D