Dogomania

Itchy itchy itchy!!!!!!!

abker17

:(

Both Abby and Cracker are going crazy itching themselves! :-? :x :( Cracker is on steriods for her allergies, and it usually helps the itching, but now it's not working! We also give her Benedryl, but that's not working either! :( My question is, is it okay to give Abby Benadryl to? She's never had to use it before, so I just want to check with ya'll first. She is almost the exact wieght Cracker is, so we'd giver her the amount of medicine that Cracker gets. I'm already trying to convince my parents to take them to the vet, and if the itching persists, than I know they will. :-? Thanks ahead of time for any help........ :)

I wouldn't give any meds before talking to the vet. I would sugest giving a different diet if this is a recurring problem. You can eather try Response from Eukanuble, Z/D low alergen or ultra low alergen diet, or Purina's Sensitive Skin Sensitive Stumach. The Sensitive Skin Sensitive Stumach is the only diet that isn't perscription, and you can buy from any pet store. But i would sugest taking her to the vet.
Good Luck!

Thanks, she was eating Nutro, and now we're switching her to Kirkland brand. Hopefully it will help.

[quote]You can eather try Response from Eukanuble, Z/D low alergen or ultra low alergen diet,[/quote]

I refuse to feed IAMS or Eukanuba because of their bad record of keeping their testing animals in horrible conditions, and not properly caring for the animals. :evil: :(

Here, I'll give u some web pages, I've researched a lot into this:
[url]www.uncaged.co.uk/iams.htm[/url]
[url]www.iamskills.com/index.shtml[/url]
[url]www.catkinrescue.co.uk/html/iams&animal-testing.htm[/url]
[url]www.ecolinks.net/ecolink/conanitest.html[/url]
[url]www.bordercollierescue.org/the_dark_side/[/url] Content/Iams%20Tests.html
[url]www.petitiononline.com/tito13/petition.html[/url]
[url]www.liberation-mag.org.uk/iams9.htm[/url]
[url]www.allforanimals.com/news-sept99.htm[/url]

Well, it's pretty much been confirmed that the dogs have fleas. :x I never suspected fleas because I sleep with Abs, and never saw one flea on her. I checked her fur several times to see if there was something visible that could have caused the itching, but I saw nothing. :-? But last night, Abs was on the couch with my mom ( :o an odd occurance) and she found a flea. Cracker probably has them to, and it's worse for her couse she allergic to fleas. :( :x :( Cracker has a big bald spot on her side from itching in that particular area, and it's all sore. :( What can I do to make her more comfortable? How should I get rid of the fleas? :( Any help is much appreciated.

Well my mom just ordered some Frontline from of the net since that was cheaper. :) But that is a preventative isn't it? Will it kill the fleas that are on them now? And just a quick note, I cannot use flea shampoo because both the dogs have dandruff problems too and the Shampoo would dry out thier skin (or so I've been told) :-? Please someone help me, I don't know what to do! I cannot take the dogs to the vet because 1) My parents are the ones that can drive and 2) They don't wanna pay the money, and I would pay but I'm already broke from buying things like agility euipment and dog toothpaste. :(
Someone please help, I'll again talk to my parents about taking away my allowence for the next couple of weeks so that they can get to the vet...... :(

If I'm corrent, Frontline kills fleas & ticks within 24 hours of the application.. BUT (to my surprise) Adult fleas only go on dogs to FEED. The young fleas and eggs are in your carpet and other places such as that. My vet has said vacuuming doesn't do much, but it does help. It's either Frontline or Advantage that kills both fleas, larva and eggs.. can't remember which though. I vote frontline though..

I don't know any natural remedies for fleas.. The others may help on that! The only advice I can give is to use a 'regular' dog shampoo and comb them with a flea comb thoroughly. IF you have cats, they'll need treated to..

Unfortintly, I believe digested fleas is what causes heartworm(or some type of worm) so you should get them tested for that and then get them on heartworm preventative - unless they're already on it, then don't worry.

My two rescue kitties are allergic to fleas.. And same with my kitty Oreo! I didn't think they had fleas until the vet said that's what was causing their sores and rough fur on their bums.. and Clydes GREAT loss of hair. I never seen a single flea! But since 'all' of them are on flea meds (4 cats, 1 puppy, not the 2 ferrets tho..) Their fur is a lot softer and the scabs are all gone! (we used advantage on the cats, frontline on the puppy)

[b]The How-to of Flee Care[/b]
ok, to start i would get frontline, since that works best out of anything on the market (that you can get without a vet). Apply that. It depends on how bad the infestation is in your home. At the very least increase vacuming in your house, and espically vacume in the corners or next to the wall. This is where the flees are. If it is a bad infestation, you can bomb the house. Go to a pet store, and ask someone if they have flee bomb or something of the sort (i don't know the accutal name) It comes in a can that you put in the room, turn it on, and for a certin amount of time, and it kills 90% of the flees. If this dosen't seem to help, go to the pet store and buy Capstar. This is a tablet that also helps with flees. This dosen't work as well as frontline, but the two combined will help. [b] <u> It will take about 3 mounths to kill all the flees[/b] </u>
[b]To find out if there ARE flees[/b] Take a flee comb, or some narrow toothed comb (EXTREAMLY NARROW TOOTHED). Take a pice of papertowel and wet it with water, or alchichol. Make it damp. take your dog and comb him/her with the flee comb. Comb enough so that there is some fur stuck into the comb. you can hold the comb so that you catch extra stuff. Spread the hair on the wet papertowel. You are looking for dirt. If you see a pice of dirt take a pen, forceps, or something and crush the pice of durt. If the dirt is red, than it is flee dirt. Flee dirt is what the baby flees eat. If there is flee dirt, there are flees. If there is a lot of flee dirt, there is a lot of flees...

[b]how flees reproduce[/b]
Flees need the blood of your dog and/or cat to reproduce. They can suck human blood, but it dose not help them reproduce, so on a hole we are safe. Frontline sterilizes the flees and kills them, so that they fall of dead, and are sterilized, so that they cannot reproduce

[b]Last Words[/b]
I would sugest taking your dogs to the vet. If you have dogs and cats, you will need to treat all of them. Flees are a relativly cheep thing to treat (relative...no vet bill is cheep...). At the vet I work for for each dog, it will come out somewhere around, oh, $70 a dog, including the cost of Frontline, though this could go up to $100, depending on the size of the dog (bigger dog, more money).

Good Luck!
I hope this helps!

Guest Anonymous

I realize I am new here but since I live in the south fleas are a problem year round. I belong to another web site and this is a constant discussion. Mix garlic in your dogs food once a day this will keep all insects away from them plus you can make a mixture of lemons and rosemary to spray on them that will do the same thing. I have a dane that is allergic to everything and both of these I can use, the chemical flea killers I can not. To make the spray get a fat lemon the more rid the better slice paper thin put in a bowl add a 6 inch sprig of fresh rosemary pour hot water (almost boiling) over all cover and let set over night. In the morning pour with strainer into a spray bottle use once a day. This works for me, but also the garlic.

my 3 year old dane bitch is allergic to five different house mights, yuk and 4 different grasses. She is now on vaccinations for the rest of her life, show us a super clean house and i'll my dinner of the floor, we all wished. :-?
to help with the soothing i use on her a full powered Aloe Vera gel and she also drinks pure aloe vera, so do i as i have psoriasis, it works and i have even dumfounded my dermatolist who actually refused to believe it but my own doctor did. hope this helps to relieve the discomfort.
good luck

[quote name='amber']my 3 year old dane bitch is allergic to five different house mights, yuk and 4 different grasses. She is now on vaccinations for the rest of her life, show us a super clean house and i'll my dinner of the floor, we all wished. :-?
to help with the soothing i use on her a full powered Aloe Vera gel and she also drinks pure aloe vera, so do i as i have psoriasis, it works and i have even dumfounded my dermatolist who actually refused to believe it but my own doctor did. hope this helps to relieve the discomfort.
good luck[/quote]

what vacciene is she on? Depomediral (?sp), the steroiod injection???
If this is it i would watch out, you don't want to overload the body with steroids...