Dogomania

Service dogs for sale for physically disabled

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have been working with dogs for the past 8 years. I have also been training service dogs for the last three years. I am interested in starting my own business. I would like to adopt puppies from local shelters, train them as service dogs (basic commands as well as advanced commands like turning on lights, opening doors, picking up dropped items and going for help. These are just a few examples.) and then sell them to those who need them. I know a lot of non profit organizations that give away service dogs have a very long waiting list. I think this would be great for children and adults that are physically disabled and who don't want to wait 2-5 years on a waiting list. At the same time a puppy would be spared from the local humane society. I can also train companion dogs (dogs that would not go out in public with their recipient). I am looking for feedback from anyone who would be interested in one of my dogs. I would like to make sure that there is a definite need for what I want to do. Thank you. :angel:[color=darkred][/color][color=indigo][/color]

Well I could be way off base here but I would think there would not be a big demand for service dogs that the dissabled person would have to pay for. Most folks aren't made of money, and they very well may not be able to afford to buy a trained dog. My guess is that that is the reason most service dogs are free. I think if there was a market for selling service dogs, someone (More like a LOt of "someones") would already be doing it.

I tend to agree that disabled folks have enough challenges, might be difficult to purchase a dog.
Other considerations, how will you go about matching a specific dog to a specific person, taking into account the dogs personality, the persons personality, their needs etc.
How will you address the dogs suitability and longterm health, will you be vet checking these dogs and screening for dogs that may have such things as hip displaysia, elbow displaysia,eye problems, heart murmers or other heart problems, allergies, weak immune systems, etc etc?
Not saying your idea is totally without merit, not at all. But so much to consider, IF you did all the vet screening and temperament screening necessary, it would be rather expensive for you and therefore you would have to charge quite a bit of money for these dogs.
Certainly a disabled person does not need to purchase a dog and two years later find out the dog has a health or life threatening condition that will result in huge vet bills.
Some years ago, a former friend had a litter of pet quality labs. He contacted a guide dog org., they could not take any of his pups because there had been NO hip screening or other health screening in either parent.

Guest Anonymous

I do appreciate all of you replying. Before I even get started with this I plan on finding a local vet to help me out with discounted vet bills. I will have anything and everything done to insure I don't place a puppy that has any genetic problems.
I won't start until I have a recipient in need and one that is local. That way the puppy and their recipient would be able to work together quite a bit and I can specifically work with the recipients needs.
I do think it is unfair to say that most physically disabled people are without money. I understand that there are some physically disabled people who do have huge medical bills and would be unable to purchase a service dog. But I also know there are plenty of people who are physically disabled that hold jobs and very good jobs.
I did find a company that does what I want to do and more, but with pure bred dogs. You can check out their website www. evanssecurity.com
Thank you all for your replies. Keep it coming!!!!

Guest Anonymous

My point is that there is a company selling trained service dogs. I don't work for them. I don't care what they do or what they say about dogs and children, because that is not what I was referring to.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Taylor']
I do think it is unfair to say that most physically disabled people are without money. I understand that there are some physically disabled people who do have huge medical bills and would be unable to purchase a service dog. But I also know there are plenty of people who are physically disabled that hold jobs and very good jobs.[/quote]

Ok while there might be some physically disabled people who hold well paying jobs. I know from my mom running a personal nursing service..that for the most part, that most are on a fixed income. Many will hold jobs simply to have a job, to not feel like they are different then everyone else..because really they are not. I am only going on personal experience but for the most part people I have seen through my mom's work that most people who have service dogs (like the ones you explained you wanted to train..turn off lights and so on). Are limited to what jobs they can have, so that will also effect the type of income they would have to buy a dog.

Personally I would think if there is such huge waiting lists, that there is a serious need for trained dogs. If you are enjoying training these types of service dogs, why not offer to train them? I am sure there are plenty of org's looking for people with the skill and time to help out. It won't make you money, but the reward I think would be priceless...JMO

Guest Anonymous

I do train service dogs for an organization.
I want to do something on my own and I want to save some of the shelter dogs out there.
I work closely with our recipients and I know that a lot of them have jobs and a good bit are surprisingly pretty well off.
It doesn't matter though everyone will have their own opinion. I just thought I would post this here hoping to hear from physically disabled people.

Guest Anonymous

Maybe try posting on a board for people with service dogs? Maybe they will have the answers you are looking for. Good luck. And I think your heart is certainly in the right place, I just wanted to voice my opinion on the matter.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I'm answering the question about the service dogs for sale for the disable. I'm a disable person and I have applied for a service dog from Paws and they led me to believe that I would get one. I got all my paper work together and it took me three months to get all the things I needed plus I had to get doctors statements etc. I sent in everything that was required and Paws called wrote me and told me they could not get me a dog cause they did not have a agent in Tennessee who could come and inspect my home. They then said when they got a and agent in my state I would be reconsidered.this was a huge let down for me. So in answer to everyones question.....Yes I will pay for a service dog. I need one very very badly and even though I am on SSI income. I will pay what ever Taylor requires to receive a dog that can help me.. I am a pet lover and have had animals dogs cats birds fish etc all my life now I need help and there is no one to help me. I have Muscular Dystrophy....I'm 53 years old and will be 54 this week on the 12th of Nov. I got a puppy in the hopes that I could train him my self but that did not work. Now I'm just in bad need of a service dog and no where to look. I am afraid to fly and can not drive hundreds of miles to train with a dog. Paws said they would bring the dog to me. I have no one...all my family are dead now. So I have no one to help me except a few friends. So this is your answer......handicapped people are not always....given things....we have to pay just like everyone else.....in fact I don't mind paying...at least I can say I saved my money and used it for something to help me.

I am sorry, but I have to disagree with selling service dogs. I just believe that is too much sounding like a profit maker.I understand, being a good friend to a lady who raises dogs that go on to be Service Dogs here in my country, that there is a lot of money involved in the training process sometimes, and the care of the dog, ect ect. Here, the disabled people do not get the greatest benefits. I have been to America and seen plenty of people with Service dogs, and I always ask "where did you get him/her from?" and I usually was given the reply of a Service Dog organization, and even once a person infomred me they themselves adopted the dog and trained it alone. A person trained their dog alone, in a wheelchair for an entire year, and it was one of the best service dogs i had ever seen. Maybe it was not given a large ceremony, but I certainly give the owner and her dog credit for the things they both overcame. To me, a disabled person should not [b]have[/b] to be asked for pay for a lifelong helping companion, but be given the privelege, because that's what it is. And, since most everyone else has said it, not all disabled people have the money.

• 4 years later...