Dogomania

Brushing Teeth?

abker17

Abby's teeth look like they have a lot of plaque(sp?) on them. :-? :( She's never had a proffesional cleaning, actually I didn't even know u we're supposed to brush dogs teeth till' I started getting DogFancy mag. :o :( So I don't have a tooth brush or anything. :( Should I brush her teeth myself? What kind of tooth brush should I use? Thanks for any help anyone can give me......... :D

We use a regular soft human toothbrush and a PB flavoured doggy toothbrush. The dogs like the toothepaste but are not so fond of the actually brushing, when we are done, I apply a little more toothepaste deep in the bristles and let them chew it out - appeases them and provides extra cleaning! I try to do it once a week but Zaphod has deep pits on his rear teeth and they are starting to look like we need to do it more often. I also give the boys dental kongs and flossing ropes and bones and other toys with teeth cleaning in mind. I may still have to look into dental cleaning for Zaphod at some point - those rear teeth :roll:

[color=indigo]Mickey uses a regular doggy toothbrush and vanilla flavored toothpaste. He always gives me a tough time though because he likes to lick the toothpaste off the brush while I'm trying to clean his teeth. :lol:

LuckyChaos, I didn't know carrots were good for a dog's teeth. That's good news, carrots are Mickey's favorite treat! [/color]

I went down to the local Wal-Mart and bought a $0.50 soft toothbrush for Felix, which I replace every few months. For toothpaste I ordered a $5.00 toob of tarter control toothpaste from Foster's and Smith when my mom was placing an order. It really helps get the plaque that builds up between his teeth.

Amanda

if you can start even doing yourself at an early age, dogs will get use to having their teeth done, even if you start trying now you may have a little play fight on your hands but your trying, also using dental treats are a good start........ you can go to the vets and have dental cleans but try your self first saves the money, but if you feel your not getting on then try a groomer or vet...... my buttons loves his teeth being done...... piices and links below....... even if i get my own tooth brush out he thinks its his, he has a once a week plain (no soap) shower as he loves the shower after i have one but i have to refuse, and his teeth daily afteyr ive done mine........

http://groups.msn.com/isapi/fetch.dll?action=MyPhotos_GetMBPhoto&ImageID=nFgAAAAoIJVOQl8ifsVXkT90I!fdTFQ*iGSPLbQn26yp3*R8fUvhhBQ

http://groups.msn.com/isapi/fetch.dll?action=MyPhotos_GetMBPhoto&ImageID=nFgAAAAkID1Ow8euXimLGOU7iuln7g!bpYHLwblFS9*Q7XfK6WOcC8g

[img]http://groups.msn.com/isapi/fetch.dll?action=MyPhotos_GetMBPhoto&ImageID=nFgAAAAoIJVOQl8ifsVXkT90I!fdTFQ*iGSPLbQn26yp3*R8fUvhhBQ
[/img]

[img]http://groups.msn.com/isapi/fetch.dll?action=MyPhotos_GetMBPhoto&ImageID=nFgAAAAkID1Ow8euXimLGOU7iuln7g!bpYHLwblFS9*Q7XfK6WOcC8g[/img]

Thanks for everyone's replies I'm sure they'll be very helpful. :D I haven't gotton to the store yet, but I hope to go later this evening. Another thing has come up with Abby's health though that I want to ask ya'll about.
It was really cold today, but not so cool as to keep me from practicing agility. I noticed when I was out with Abs that she has really bad dandruff. This was also a problem last year. I gave her a bath with some medicated shampoo I had bought and it seemed to cure her. But, I just gave her a bath about 2 weeks ago and this time it didn't work. She keeps scratching in one area, and it's causing her hair to fall out. :( She has this little patch on her side where she's been scratchin' so much. :( It's not completly bald yet, but if she keeps scratchin' it like she is now, it'll be bald before to long. I just switched her food to Nutro, and I have to switch it again to that Kirkland brand. (Costco makes it) Could her food be causing it? Is there anything that I can buy for the itching when I go to the store today? :)
Thanks in advance! :D

Well, I got to the store, and bought some doggie tooth brush and a greenie. I didn't get anything for Ab's itching though, cause I wasn't sure what to get. :-? I tried to brush her teeth, but she got scared. :x :( She kept running away and I was afriad she might bite me. :o :x :( She just really freaked out. So I'm gonna work real slow with her, right now I just touch her mouth, and when she lets me, she gets a treat. Hopefully I'll be able to get them brushed before to long. :)

About the itching--it might be something else if you say there is a spot that's almost going bald... But I just wanted to say that when I put Hippo on Nutro within a few days her skin was all dry and flaky. As soon as I switched her to another food, the problem went away. She wasn't scratching though, she just had very dry skin...

Hey Harper, Good for you wanting to brush Abs teeth! Take your time, you can even start by taking a piece of gauze or cut an old clean washcloth into 4 little squares, get it damp and gently rub Abs teeth with the cloth while telling her how good she is. Take it slow and make a bit of a fuss over her telling her how wonderful she is etc even if you can just touch her mouth with the cloth at first.
I use a Crest Spinbrush and chicken flavored doggie toothpaste that I get at the vets office. They tolerate the Spinbrush but LOVE the toothpaste. They each get a greenie a day as well to help and just recently all had bones to chew on.
Good luck with her skin irritation also, could be just a food thing or could be an allergy or could be???? How old is she again?

Thanks all! :D
[quote]About the itching--it might be something else if you say there is a spot that's almost going bald... But I just wanted to say that when I put Hippo on Nutro within a few days her skin was all dry and flaky. As soon as I switched her to another food, the problem went away. She wasn't scratching though, she just had very dry skin...[/quote]
I'm switching her to the Kirland Brand, maybe that'll help. :)
[quote]The best thing for itching is saline. Put a handful of salt in a bucket of luke warm water and use a sponge to go over her whole coat.

If the scratching intensifies then a trip to your vet may be called for to rule out a hormonal problem.[/quote]
I'll try that! Thanks!
[quote]Hey Harper, Good for you wanting to brush Abs teeth! Take your time, you can even start by taking a piece of gauze or cut an old clean washcloth into 4 little squares, get it damp and gently rub Abs teeth with the cloth while telling her how good she is. Take it slow and make a bit of a fuss over her telling her how wonderful she is etc even if you can just touch her mouth with the cloth at first.
I use a Crest Spinbrush and chicken flavored doggie toothpaste that I get at the vets office. They tolerate the Spinbrush but LOVE the toothpaste. They each get a greenie a day as well to help and just recently all had bones to chew on.
Good luck with her skin irritation also, could be just a food thing or could be an allergy or could be???? How old is she again?[/quote]
Abby will be 3 in December. :) I think I'll try the gauze thing, I had heard of tryin' that. DogFancy magazine had an article a couple months ago about it, they said to start by rubbin' your finger on them( :o Eww), then switch to gauze, then to the toothbrush. I don't think I'll be able to use a spinbrush on her though. :o She'd really freak........ :o
THanks again for everyone's help! :D

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Hi,

I know this post is kinda old, but since I'm new, I guess it's ok to go back on old postings and provide new info.

Anyway, I know your dilemma with the toothbrush and your dog being scared of it. You do have another option though. Have you heard of Oxyfresh? It's actually for humans too but they have a doggie line out. I've tried it with my dogs and they love it and it really does help their breath too. You can either use a toothbrush (they have a cool one with three sides that gets all sides of the teeth at once) or you can just rub it on with your fingers. I found it at this site:

[url]http://store.yahoo.net/petendipity/oralhygiene2.html[/url]

My Murphy loves it. They also have the solution that goes in their water, I haven't tried it yet because the gel is working great for me, but a friend of mine did and she swears by it.

Hope this helps.