Dogomania

housebreaking problem

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi, I'm new here, and am searching for a solution to a problem that is driving me crazy.

I have 2 dogs, Jeb and Daisey, mixes, 1 almost a year, and 1 almost 2 years. During the day, we keep the dogs in the mudroom, a fairly large room, probably 8 x 12, that has a doggy door that opens up into a nice big fenced in area where there is plenty of room for them to run, play, and relieve themselves. The ground is all dirt. My problem is that recently they (or 1 of them, i'm thinking its the younger one, Daisey) who is pooping in the mudroom and not outdoors.

I have no clue why this is happening or how to make it stop. If I can't catch her in the act, I know I can't train her, but I'm really losing my patience. I'm hoping someone can offer some advice, I can't deal with this, and my husband is almost ready to get rid of her, which would devistate me (and him too)

Please let me know if someone has any ideas of what I can do.

Thank you!!!!!!

Lisa

Guest Anonymous

I only work part time so most of the time I am with them, but this has been happening when I'm not around, or when we put them out at night. I will spend quite a while watching them to do their business, and when they do, I praise them, but if they don't do anything after about 20 minutes, I will leave them and keep checking on them. It's always when I'm either not home, or during one of those "in between" times.

I don't know if pet scent remover works on dirt. You could remove the top layer of dirt to remove the smell (you may not be able to smell it but they can and will go there again because of it.)

and

Lay down some sort of psudo-flooring to diferentiate between outside and inside - plywood maybe.

or

Get a crate, usually one only big enough for the dog or dogs to lie down, stand or turn around in. Put the dogs in it while your out, no more than 8 hours preferably or someone will have to come home to let them out. Move the crate variouse places throughout the mudroom, so the whole mudroom is reinforced as part of the den, spend time with the dogs in the mud room so it is reinforced as part of the den. Eventually you may be able to let them out of the crate again and let them have the run of the mudroom, if there is backslidding - back to the crate. Even once they are trustworthy in the mudroom again, leave the crate in the mudroom (with the door blocked open) to reinforce it as part of the den and the dog may also enjoy napping in his/her crate - my dogs do.

Guest Anonymous

We rented a roto-tiller yesterday morning and went over the whole area, turning over soil. It has only been a bit over 24 hours, but so far, no accidents!!!! Thank you so much for your suggestion. Hopefully, the pups can keep up the good work!

Thank you :beerchug:

Lisa, Daisey and Jeb