Dogomania

How Much Is Your Dog Worth To You?

Top Dog

I stumbled across this story and It made me think about how much my dogs mean to me and how much I'd be prepared to pay to get them back if they were ever held to ransom.
Now I know this is a little far fetched but it does happen and the following story proves it:

How Much Is Your Dog Worth To You?

We hear in the news that a man from Denmark refused to pay a ransom of

I think my dog is priceless... but I don't have $5000 for myself let alone my dog. I honestly don't know what I would do. Of course I would try and save him (ask my parents?), but I cannot do it by myself. :cry:

I also have no idea about pet insurance so wouldn't be able to answer your second question.

Priceless. Meg has been stolen before and thankfully managed to escape, although no one will ever know how, but I just thank heavens she did and that the man who found her by the side of the road after hearing our radio appeal took her into his car. I'm told shes a valuable girl from what shes achieved but no amount of money would ever replace her.

Ok this is a very recent (last week) story that happened to a girl on another doggy board that Ive been a member of for 3 years.

One of the members of our board had her 6 mth old Aussie shep called Elliot stolen. Two days later he came back with a note in his collar knapsack saying "your dog is useless, be thankful we didn't kill him". What a horrid thing to find, but thankfully little Elliot is back with his Mum.

That must of been a horrible experience for Elliot's owner and one I hope nobody here has to go through.
Good news to hear that he was returned though but strange for them to say how he was useless....for what I wonder?
There are some tuely sick people in this world of ours :x

I would pay any amount I could for Macy's safe return! Unfortunately, I'm not exactly awash in money, but I would beg or borrow (probably not steal) whatever I could.

I worry terribly about her being stolen. She's spayed, so she couldn't be used for breeding, but someone wouldn't necessarily know that.

Priceless.....................
Nostalgia I would do anything for just the same as my children.
My hubby on the other hand......does not think the same. :(

I would go to the police first to see what they can do to help, but if no help there I would gather up all my freinds and family and see if we can come up with the money.

We arin't even close to having 6,000 dollars.
And it's hard enough for us to live with what we do make. :(

I have never heard of people doing something like that, but we do have a lot of sick weirdos out there. :x

Guest Mutts4Me

ALL of my pets are priceless to me, to the fullest extent possible. Therefore, I will pay as much as I can to save any of their lives. Meaning, if they get hit by a car, or they get deathly ill, I will pay as much as I possibly can to have them healed.

When my cat had to spend several days the hospital with kidney failure, near death, I offered to split the bill with my parents, because I knew they couldn't afford it, and I wasn't going to let him be taken off life support. CryBaby is alive and well now, but with only 25% usage of his kidneys for the rest of the life, meaning it could happen again. And yes, we will fight for his life again.

When my fish (yes, my $3 fish) couldn't be fixed by any number of medications I tried, I found a vet 40 minutes away who would examine fish, and my friend and I took him there. He had cancer. The vet did what he could, and I paid $55 for it. Psychedelic is a happy betta again, but I'm prepared to take him back if he has a relapse.

I am willing to pay what I can for my pets, because I love them. But I'll side with K here and say that if, by some crazy chance, someone decided to ransom one of my pets, I'd have to trust the proper authorities to handle the situation. First of all, you can't take it for granted that they're actually going to return your pet once they have the money. Secondly, you also can't assume they'd go through with any threat of injuring your pet once they realize you're not going to pay up.

Really, I think I'm safe. I'm not rich, and my dog isn't special to anyone except those who love her. So no potential dog thief is going to target us ;)

My dogs are priceless to me, but I could not come up with that amount of money. My house is mortgaged to the hilt to pay off my sons medical
bills, and I have to have my car to go to work, (There is no public transportation out here that goes to where I work) I also do not want to encourage thieves to think that they can get away with this.

It would absolutely break my heart. If I had easy access to the money
I might pay it, just like I would pay it to save my son, but I would hate giving in to the bastards that stole them.....

I might volunteer to drop off the money, with my 22 semi-automatic in my pocket.....that's how angry I would be.

[quote name='courtnek']I might volunteer to drop off the money, with my 22 semi-automatic in my pocket.....that's how angry I would be.[/quote]

That's exactly what I was thinking! I woldn't want to give a penny to anyone who took away something that I dearly loved. Or maybe I would give him the money and then maybe a few weeks later the police would "accidently" find his body somewhere. :evilbat:

Guest Anonymous

I would pay any price to get my Gusto back if he was dogknapped. However, I have a feeling that a dogknapper would probably be willing to pay me to take Gusto back. LOL.

My first reaction was that you can't give in to these people and give them what they want otherwise it never stops - same goes for kidnapping or terrorisim etc....

However having never been in that situation that's very easy for me to say that now. If it actually happended to me and there was no other option then I would be prepared to pay anything.

Guest Anonymous

I can't even think of how much my dog is to me.. PRICELESS!!!! there is no amount on my dogs, i love them both with all my heart, and would be lost with out them!!

Bentley is worth far more than I could ever pay as are my kids or any other family members, we could be talking millions here and how many of us have an unlimited source money? Anyway I would hope that if someone were to find him that they would return him out of the kindness of their heart and not hold him for ransome. I would do my best to aquire as much money as possible to meet their demands. I wouldn't except a reward to return something that belongs to someone else. The reward is how the good deed makes you feel inside.

If i was ever placed in this sort of situation I would pay as much as I could as my dogs mean the world to me and I would be begging the people responsible to take care and settle for the money that I managed to raise and not keep demanding money that I could not possibly pay.
These sort of incidents are rare as far as I am aware so hopefully none of us will have to go through such a nightmare.

[color=darkred]My three dogs are priceless to me, the one I would really be concerned about is my Bullmastiff because he is worth a lot, and I know he would be gone in a second if given the chance, not for breeding but fighting!
He is one in a million.
If anyone tried to take Penny away, they would have a chase on there hands Im sure.....she has a nasty streak behind her especially with strangers.
And besides, if anyone tried to snatch our Bully, they would have to get past Penny and Patch first![/color]