Dogomania

LOL

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

my husband found his lazer pointer.. well... let me just say it's the dogs favorite toy. lo9l they get SUCH a great work out from it! lol Cody runs all over hte place barking , biting the wall and the carpet and jumping to get it on the ceiling.. lol and ZOey will run after it and jumps up on the wall to get it. it is sooooo funny. i wish we could video tape it and put it on here for you guys. becyase it's as funny as that Cat movie that someone posted on here ( which i still watch everyday i need a laugh! )

Guest Anonymous

[color=red]PLEASE USE CAUTION WITH THE LIGHTS[/color]

Many do not understand the psychological impact of playing games with lights. Lights are an ellusive prey. It can not be caught, smelled, touched, only seen. Playin this game often can create OCD in dogs. Playing this game leads to chasing shadows on floors and walls, chasing lights on cars at night, etc. Often after playing this game many comment that the dog continues to look for the light, this is the first sign that you should discontinue this game. Do some research about it on the web and see what you can find. If you must play, do it limitedly.

A good friend of mine thought it was all a bunch of crap and continued to play daily. Recently her dog bit a lady on a walk and a child. The behaviorist they brought in finally got them to understand that the lights have alot more effect on them than we think. She believes all of his behavioral problems relate back to the light game.

With a deaf dog I think it might be even worse. Please be careful.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nostalgia loves the flashlight.
She has her own special flashlight.
And when I ask her,"Wheres the flashlight?" She will go to where it is and sit and stare at it. :lol:

She loves to play that game, but we play it very limitly.
She is so into the flashlight.............That we started saying that she needed doggie-rehab. :lol:

Guest Anonymous

I went to deafdogs.org and they have a warning about playing with lights with deaf dogs especially in a few select breeds prone to OCD and that includes the Aussie.

To the rest of you that do play and continue too: Dont say you weren't warned. I have seen normal happy well adjusted dogs literally go crazy. How important is it to play that game?

Guest Anonymous

marys momma. knock your self out about find infromation on deaf dogs, becuase i've been there, done that. i know all abou the light.. Cody is fine. last night was the first time he ever saw the light, or played with it. and i think that once in awhile will not make him get OCD.. i'm very careful with my dogs, and if i knew it would hurt them i would not do it.
:evil:
thanks for your concern. but my dogs are fine, and i will continue to play with the light every once in a while with my dogs. i see no harm in once in a while letting them play with the light for 5 mins...

Guest Anonymous

Naomi - Dont get your panties all bunched up. I am sure you take wonderful care of your dogs and I know you have done extensive research on deaf dogs. But as you said...if you knew it would hurt them you wouldn't do it. So for your benefit as well as everyone else, I felt it important to advise against it. Having seen first hand the effects it can have, I may understand more than others. No it wont happen over night, and yes occassionally is better than daily, but why play at all if there is even the tiniest chance? It isn't necessary, there are much better games to play. And once the damage is done, it is extremely difficult to repair. And certain breeds that tend to get OCD more than others are at a higher risk and therefore it would take less exposure to create a problem.

Do what you like, not my place to judge, but at least now you know so when it happens you'll know what caused it.

Guest Anonymous

thanks for your concern.. my "panites aren't in a bunch"

whatever i know about the risks and stuff the dogs.. you know what. i think i'll just leave it at that..
i'll just stay away from this site.. Bye Everyone.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='DeafAussieLover']thanks for your concern.. my "panites aren't in a bunch"

whatever i know about the risks and stuff the dogs.. you know what. i think i'll just leave it at that..
i'll just stay away from this site.. Bye Everyone.[/quote]

:WTF:

DON'T LEAVE! I DEMAND YOU STAY HERE! :bad-words:
Sit Dal, SIT! Good Girl... STAY!... No! YOU STAY! GOOD GIRL! Have a biscuit :D
Dal, we all know you take wonderful care of your dogs! I wana be one of your dogs even! :lol:

DO I HAVE TO STOP THIS CAR??????

Mary was only trying to help, but sometimes comes off a little abrupt.

Deaf, I know you know alot about your dogs, and really try to be as good
to them as possible, but the warnings are correct.

Dogs dont see the same way we do....and their minds react differently to
different stimuli, as you all know. I know people who play light games with their dogs, but it's very limited and for short periods. Maybe a couple times a week for 15 minutes or so. I have a friedn with Border Collies
who used to play laser light games with them every day. For a few hours.
One of her Borders literally got addicted to it (she was playing herding games) and would snarl when she wouldnt play anymore. He actually tried to bite her when she took the laser light down (to move it where they
couldnt see it, it was starting to badly affect all of them) and he jumped up to play and she put it away. He snarled at her, full teeth face.

She had to have him see a behaviorist to get him back in line, so a once in a while light game is ok, bit not everyday and not too intensely.

ALSO, those laser lights are VERY dangerous if shined in the eyes.
They can cause blindness.....

Guest Anonymous

i know about the loights. i dont shine it anywhere near their eyes.. and i've only played it 2 times with Cody and Zoey and it was not even for 5 mins... :evil:

We have a lazer pointer here too. I use to have zebra chase it for about 10 mins a week, but I don't want him running around like a maniac with a bad hip so we don't use it anymore. I wish we could because he realy loved it..every time I would say "go get the dot" he would run where the lazer was hanging. I feel bad that he can't play with it now because he loved is SOO much... :( Oh well guess that's the way the dog cookie crumbles. I can understand how prolonged use of it could cause some kind of harm to a dog..but a few mins here and there won't do anything.

By the way DAL...you can NEVER leave here...see your stuck here forever..we won't let you leave.. :evilbat:

Guest Anonymous

I didn't mean to make anyone upset. And I can understand why I would be seen as abrupt but mainly I am just trying to keep my posts short. Anyway I just thought that since your dog was not only a highly prone breed but also deaf with increases the risk, that your situation is of higher concern than others. Sorry I made you so upset although I do feel as though you are being defensive.

Guest Anonymous

can we just end this thread now? Marys Mom i would appreciate it if you did nt respond to my posts, as i will no longer post to yours...
Defenisve , YES when i feel as though you attack me, about a game i play with my dogs, before i could even say, hey i'ts only 2 times for under 5 mins each...... so can K or Sheltielover lock this thread or something??

DAL, Please!! just chill a little....MM was not trying to insinuate that you didnt know what you were doing, or that yu dont take good care of your dogs. Neither was I. She (and I) were just offering a warning of what could happen in an overly intensive play situation with these laser lights.
A lot of people DONT know the risks, and we were just offering guidelines
about the games. Please dont take it so personally, it was not intended as
an attack, from either MM or myself....

Truce? Friends?

:fadein:

The intensity of the light is so strong that it can cause blindness if shined directly in the eyes. Laser is an acronym. It means Light Amplification
by the Stimulated Emission of Radiation..... It's regular light a hundred-fold....They take basic light, super charge the molecules so that they are
screaming against each other, and then pull it all into a small beam that gets directed out. With a strong enough frequency, you end up with
something very similar to Star Trek Phasers. Light strong enough to kill.

In the hand-held laser lights, the beam is extremely concentrated by the battery in the device. If shined in the eyes, it can burn out the retinal core,
causing blindness.

and I just realized I really didnt answer your questions....

Dogs see differently than we do - they use their eyes to follow, watch, guard, protect. If you play light games with them too much, they become
addicted to it, and want to play all the time. They often become angry if you dont want to play...it's like a drug to them.

It's ok a few minutes a few times a week, and it IS funny to watch,
but the light has no corresponding smell or sound, and they beome very intense about the game.

Guest Anonymous

Hmmm, I wonder if I should stop playing darts with Kavik.
We have a magnetic dart board with blunt ended, plastic coated, "darts."
Kavik loves to intercept them, he is very gentle with the flimsy plastic flights and hasn't ruined any yet. He can intercept them 92% of the time or greater after a warm up. He does tend to obsess though - the first time we played he sat staring at the dartboard so long afterward that I put it away, he stayed there staring at the place it had been after that for an hour at least. We usually play for 5 min, 4 days a week - the 4 days when both my brother and I work. I have found it very useful in redirecting that "you left me alone" energy and he does not stare at the board near as much now, still he is a BC and they are prone to OCDs. I will have to look into this a bit more.