Dogomania

Tail docking.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I recently rescued an appox. 6mo. old boxer mix from the local pound. She is with tail. She gets so excited and shakes around that she bangs everything (my poodles heads too) within reach with her tail. I was looking on the internet and found where this is a problem, because they damage the tip of their tails. I was thinking about docking her tail, but I am undecided. Her hitting everything doesn't bother me and I'm scared if I wait till there is a problem she would not adjust as well. Also I am taking her to get fixed and thought that the doc could do both and save the extra trip and stress. That might be to much for her though. All ideas will be considered.

shelly

[url]http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/mds5562000[/url]

Guest Anonymous

If she hasn't split it open at this point, I'd be more likely to leave it alone. At this point in life, she's used to having a tail, and from what I understand, late docking should be looked upon as an amputation of a "limb" (though it's actually part of the spinal cord), because the dog is acustomed(sp?) to having it, and using it in balance, communication, etc. Talk to your vet about your concerns and see what he/she says.

Guest Anonymous

They can, but it is surgery. When I got my poodle at 4mos she had a tail, and I had it done. There was just something about a poodle with a tail that I didn't like. :oops:

shell

[quote name='*marysmama*']I always thought it had to be done with in 3-5 days of birth. I dont think a vet will do it on dog that age.[/quote]

The proper time to dock is at 3-5 days but, it can be done later in life. At 6 months old, it wouldn't be a dock it would be an amputation. Yes, vets do tail amputations.

We have a lot of undocked Dobes come into rescue. If they're reasonably young, we do have the tails amputated at the same time they're spayed or neutered. You may wonder why we would do so. We have had a huge number of Dobes split open or break their tails. There's just no real fur to help absorb impacts. Dobes can easily split or break tails just by wagging hard and hitting a wall.

Boxers have a very similar coat to a Dobe so, I would think the tail issue would be similar. I AM NOT saying that this dog should have it's tail amputated. I am saying that the owner would need to be vigilant regarding to watching out for splits or breaks in the tail if she chooses to leave it natural.

My aunt has a Boxer with a natural tail. Lefty has broken her tail once and split it open (to decorate the walls with blood) five times in her two short years of life. My aunt just can't stand the thought of cutting Lefty's tail off so, she's become accostomed to dealing with the injuries.

Oh she is beautiful!!! Personally I wouldn't get it docked at this age, it would be very painful to have the bone cut as well as very confusing to have lost a limb. I believe in docking, but only if its done at a fews days of age, otherwise I just don't think its very kind :-?

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for all the advice everyone! :P You'all are great. I will probably wait and see how it goes. It just looks like it would hurt her to bang her tail on everything, the walls, the sliding door, her crate, and table legs. I mean if it can brake, it would seem that it hurts. :cry: But thanks to you guys I'm at least thinking about leaving it alone. :-? I want to do what is best for her.

shell

My foxhounds tail is like that, and when she wags it against the door I sometimes think it HAS to hurt, but it doesnt appear to.....

she whimpers if you accidently step on her feet (she's always underfoot it seems) but never whimpers while banging her tail on the door or the wall....

Good idea! I can tell you from past experience that our shelter has had to dock tails before due to injury. The last one was a 1 year old Boxer mix, he kept banging his tail against the sides of his kennel and split it open repeatedly. We tried bandaging it, it always came off. We also tried bandaging the tail to either his leg or his belly - no result. We finally had to take it off and leave him a nubbin. After that his kennel was clean - no more blood on the walls, it looked like a bloodbath every morning!

In general, I am opposed to docking unless the dog is a true working dog or the tail poses a hazard to the dogs health. One thing I hate is when an owner gets a dog at an older age like a Weim, Dobe, Rot etc and asks for the tail to be taken off as it looks wrong and ugly. A dogs tail is mostly how he communicates. A tail forms more than a third of the dogs linguistic communication.

In your scenario if the tail is being slapped off walls and getting injured then yes it would be better to remove it. A great Dane called Leo that I petsit is a monster and when his tail is whacked off the wall the blood really flies!

As far as puppy tail docking goes, we only accept pups in our practice that are between 24-48 hours of age. After that neurones extend and form more complex networks and pain reception increases. Also it can affect the dogs behaviour later on and tail touch sensitivity can stimulate a sensitivity provoked aggression response.