Dogomania

Thin Coat

DogPaddle

Kavik's coat thinned out for the summer - I know that is perfectly natural. The thing is it looks toooo thin, but only on his underneath and chest. Anywhere there is white I can see the skin clearly. It must be more comfortable for him but it looks sortof wispy/mangy (not actual mange) Is there something to do about? Should I bother? And what do people who show dogs do in the summer when their dogs coats are thinner, it must be a challenge to fluff them up?

My Mary has the same problem. It is just her natural coat tho, not that she is not getting good nutrients.

However, I am using Dr. Krugers Show Dog formula (specifically formulated for coats) to help supplement and get her ready for winter. Her problem is her coat is always thin so she freezes in the winter. I am hoping it will help her coat fill out for winter.

[url]www.dockruger.com[/url]

DP, I know I'm always the alarmist, but that's only because of the luck I've had with my dogs (limp = dysplasia, bad breath = major tummy problem which required surgery, etc.).

That said, a thin, wispy coat could also be indicative of a thyroid disorder, among other things. Thin coat is one thing, but for the skin to be so apparent and for the coat to be so dull, I think I would have it checked out just to set my mind at ease. This is going to sound like a stupid question, but does he smell "funny," or is he scratching at all? Just some things to look for.

No bad smell.
He had been scratching but that was after my brother washed him with people shampoo, ever since I used the doggy oatmeal shampoo he seems to be fine but its only been a day, he is also shinier.
Is a thin coat a sign of an underactive or overactive thyroid - Kavik is "twirpy" but very active.

I'm thinking it's more typically a sign of hypothyroidism (underactive) if it's going to be one or the other, but don't take me as an authority :oops: . I don't know that either couldn't cause a hair loss problem.

If you think it seems to have helped already just by washing him in something different, perhaps a brief wait and see wouldn't hurt. I know I'm always the alarmist, but you just wouldn't believe my luck.